Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Uncomfortable moments with losing contestants?  (Read 21049 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Uncomfortable moments with losing contestants?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2004, 11:20:10 PM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 09:54 PM\']I looked at the Super Password clip, and didn't the contestant was acting badly. It seemed to me like she was playing around, because she was making nice with Constance McCashin while it happened. She didn't look like she expected to be given $20,000.
[snapback]65879[/snapback]
[/quote]
When you glare in the producer's direction twice (including once where you say, "Check it again!") I don't think that's acting sportsmanlike at all--she didn't smile at all while addressing the judges, it was only after she turned around to face Bert and Constance that she smiled as if she was kidding (once I could live with, but twice I think was going too far).  I think there's a better way to approach it (a toned down request would've scored a lot more points in my book).  Or let the host make that call to recheck the tape (as Dick Clark did several times on PYRAMID)--that wasn't her place to do that.

Frankly, I thought the judges were a little pathetic in not standing their ground, as the response was very clearly after the buzzer.  And this was from a little less than a year into the run, meaning you (as the producer/judge/jury) have set yourself up to have to award beaucoups de cash every time a contestant is a fraction of a second late with a response.  ("You did it for someone in July 1985!  Why didn't you do that for me?!")

Water under the bridge, I realize, but questionable decision in my view.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 11:24:10 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

CarShark

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 12:57:54 AM »
When you glare in the producer's direction twice (including once where you say, "Check it again!") I don't think that's acting sportsmanlike at all...
It's all objective, anyways. To me, it was painfully obvious that she was kidding, playing desperate. She even asked if they would give it to her if she "smiled big." (heh heh heh)
Frankly, I thought the judges were a little pathetic in not standing their ground, as the response was very clearly after the buzzer.
That I agree with. What really stuck in my craw was that they left the fate of $20,000 in a very partial observer...Bert Convy! He even said, "Keep everything crossed. I'll do the best I can." Try your best to do what??? Be fair? Bert looked like the hero, signed off quickly, and everyone left happy. I'm very surprised S&P wasn't asking some questions later. Of course, this is the same show that let a convict play for $55,000, so I'm really not surprised.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2004, 01:02:12 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 11:20 PM\'][quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 09:54 PM\']I looked at the Super Password clip, and didn't the contestant was acting badly. It seemed to me like she was playing around, because she was making nice with Constance McCashin while it happened. She didn't look like she expected to be given $20,000.
[/quote]
When you glare in the producer's direction twice (including once where you say, "Check it again!") I don't think that's acting sportsmanlike at all--she didn't smile at all while addressing the judges, it was only after she turned around to face Bert and Constance that she smiled as if she was kidding (once I could live with, but twice I think was going too far).  I think there's a better way to approach it (a toned down request would've scored a lot more points in my book).  Or let the host make that call to recheck the tape (as Dick Clark did several times on PYRAMID)--that wasn't her place to do that.

Frankly, I thought the judges were a little pathetic in not standing their ground, as the response was very clearly after the buzzer.  And this was from a little less than a year into the run, meaning you (as the producer/judge/jury) have set yourself up to have to award beaucoups de cash every time a contestant is a fraction of a second late with a response.  ("You did it for someone in July 1985!  Why didn't you do that for me?!")

Doug
[snapback]65883[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can't really agree about the contestant.  It's not like she was psycho aggressive or anything; she just let her adrenalin get away from her.  Hell I'm worse when my bluff is challenged off the board during a friendly game of Scrabble.  Also, it wouldn't have been harmful to their budget to be lenient on the buzzer, in fact just the opposite.  Due to the jackpot structure of the endgame, it cost them less money to have winners than to have losers, since they didn't have to pay out consolation money.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

MrBuddwing

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2004, 01:12:10 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 08:24 AM\']The time on Syndicated Millionaire when they showd a surprised and shocked look on Merle Glickman's face when she lost the question on Kaula Lampour (sp?).  They didn't show her telling Meredith off.  I was in the studio audience to see it.
[snapback]65782[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember seeing that on TV, and I noticed how the show quickly faded to black - she told Meredith Vieira off??? What was there to say? She was WRONG!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2004, 01:17:27 AM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 08:54 PM\']The maingame prizes must have been really good if he was willing to risk a car for them.
[/quote]
It wasn't that so much as a lot of the cars sucked. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2004, 01:44:13 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 11:20 PM\'][quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 09:54 PM\']I looked at the Super Password clip, and didn't the contestant was acting badly. It seemed to me like she was playing around, because she was making nice with Constance McCashin while it happened. She didn't look like she expected to be given $20,000.
[/quote]

Doug
[snapback]65883[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just saw said clip.

Leaving any decision to the host is due to be good news for the contestant...I do not remember any instances where the otherwise occured.

Speaking of this moment setting the precendent (I am sure that Mike Klauss can back me on this, for I saw this clip through his former website), wasn't a contestant awarded $30,000 in a situation mirroring this one?

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2004, 04:10:53 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 09:21 PM\']Man, talk about kowtowing to pressure.  Clearly she only earned $900 for that playing, as the buzzer sounded a good half-second before she said "inn."  To award the $20,000 just like that was plain and simply wrong (not that I had any control over the situation anyway).
[/quote]
Bullcrap if you ask me. The host who made many on air-flubbers was given the power to make that decision?
*grumbles*
It wasn't that so much as a lot of the cars sucked.
Two words: Saburau Justy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 04:13:05 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »
Now, hold on a minute here...did they really let Bert make that decision, or did they just make it sound that way because they thought it "made for better television?"

zachhoran

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 07:59:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 04:10 AM\']
It wasn't that so much as a lot of the cars sucked.
Two words: Saburau Justy
[snapback]65914[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't forget CC gave away YUgos, the lowest on the car chain at the time. I think they were the only game show to offer Yugos.

zachhoran

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2004, 08:02:09 AM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 12:57 AM\']
That I agree with. What really stuck in my craw was that they left the fate of $20,000 in a very partial observer...Bert Convy! Of course, this is the same show that let a convict play for $55,000, so I'm really not surprised.
[snapback]65901[/snapback]
[/quote]

In the case of Ketchem/Quinn, they didn't know he was a convict when he was playing on the show. Someone who recognized him on the show called MGP. Did he ever get to cash in his check after he got hauled off to jail after going to NBC Burbank to pick it up?

geno57

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2004, 09:11:20 AM »
>>>Clearly she only earned $900 for that playing, as the buzzer sounded a good half-second before she said "inn."  To award the $20,000 just like that was plain and simply wrong (not that I had any control over the situation anyway).

Maybe they decided to give her the big bucks, because she shouted "inn" *during* the buzzer???

Ian Wallis

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2004, 09:47:22 AM »
Wasn't she the one who spent an inordinate amount of time on her decision while Regis fought with his inclination to wring her by the neck?

She was on two shows.  In the show in which she lost, it took over 20 minutes of air time for her to get through three questions.  According to reports at the time, it actually took her close to an hour of studio time just to answer one of those questions.  I would have hated to be in the studio audience for that...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2004, 09:54:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 09:47 AM\']

She was on two shows.  In the show in which she lost, it took over 20 minutes of air time for her to get through three questions.  According to reports at the time, it actually took her close to an hour of studio time just to answer one of those questions.  I would have hated to be in the studio audience for that...
[snapback]65936[/snapback]
[/quote]

Knudsen doesn't hold the record for the longest studio time to answer a question. I think there was a lady on Syndie Millionaire who took at least an hour to answer one question. We saw "Much Later" and "Much Much Later" graphics on the screen, unlike with Knudsen's question.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2004, 12:21:46 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 08:11 AM\']Maybe they decided to give her the big bucks, because she shouted "inn" *during* the buzzer???
[snapback]65931[/snapback]
[/quote]
Perhaps it's that I'm conditioned to watching basketball, but if a shooter still has the ball in his hands when the clock hits 0.0 and the lights go on and the buzzer sounds and then while the buzzer is sounding he heaves a desperation shot that goes in, does it count?  No.  Shouldn't have here, either.  ("He" in this case being used colloquially, works just as well for women's basketball.)

Maybe I was a little harsh on the contestant. I'm still not fond of what she did, but I can see the opposite point of view.  But the judging was very lax in my view, no matter how you slice it (and while Parliboy [sorry, don't know your real name, otherwise I'd call you by that] brings up a point about the prize budget costing them less for winners than for losers, it's still clearly money that wasn't earned but merely given--sets up a bad precedent in my eyes).

Doug
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:57:23 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mmb5

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2004, 01:23:38 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 12:21 PM\']Perhaps it's that I'm conditioned to watching basketball, but if a shooter still has the ball in his hands when the clock hits 0.0 and the lights go on and the buzzer sounds and then while the buzzer is sounding he heaves a desperation shot that goes in, does it count?  No.  Shouldn't have here, either.  ("He" in this case being used colloquially, works just as well for women's basketball.)

Doug
[snapback]65950[/snapback]
[/quote]
Different sports have different rules.  For hockey and soccer it has to be in the net at the expiration of time.

Game shows also vary from show to show, whether your answer counts if it came in at the start of the buzzer, was done by the completion of the buzzer, or whatever other permutations you can come up with or in the cases of Dawson's Family Feud, the clock was there for decoration purposes only.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.