Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ANother casualty in GSN schedule change this week?  (Read 9220 times)

itiparanoid13

ANother casualty in GSN schedule change this week?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 02:45:19 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 01:30 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 01:02 PM\'] Whammy is the lowest rated original game show; that would have been nice to ditch.[/quote]IIRC, shortly after it's debut GSN sent out a release that said that it achieved it's highest rating on the station.

Ignorant on so many levels espcially since the show never came close to that again.
[snapback]65799[/snapback]
[/quote]

I meant worst during current ratings.  And yeah, Whammy was the highest rated show on the station, but then when RR debuted it was, and then when Lingo debuted it was, then when the Scandal debuted it was.  Nothing since.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 02:45:33 PM by itiparanoid13 »

tyshaun1

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 07:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 02:45 PM\']I meant worst during current ratings.  And yeah, Whammy was the highest rated show on the station, but then when RR debuted it was, and then when Lingo debuted it was, then when the Scandal debuted it was.  Nothing since.
[snapback]65806[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, I remember no such thing about Russian Roulette or Lingo setting any ratings records on the network. I recall reading Lingo and RR both pulling a .7 at one point or another, and Whammy! doing a .8 for its premiere, which, at the time, they mentioned it was the highest rating of an ORIGINAL show in GSN's history (Of course, "Big Bucks" blew all that out of the water).

Tyshaun

itiparanoid13

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 12:29:25 PM »
Trust me, I contacted GSN about past ratings.  Whammy got highest, then Russian Roulette, then Lingo, which stayed that way until now, or at least last week.  Lingo got up to a .9 and Russian Roulette had up to the upper .8s, around .87 I was told.  Whammy was the lower .8s, around .83.  And yeah, didn't The PYL "Scandal" get a 1.1?  That's really good for a crappy barely known digital cable network at that time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 12:55:44 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 01:15:51 PM »
Ratings are only as good as the advertiser results they bring.  If more "Rascal Scooters" and Insurance policies are being sold to more people watching FF than RR, then FF will prevail.  Similarly, if, Mountain Dew sees an uptick in Dodgeball-viewer age sales, it will continue to advertise in those types of shows, despite lower ratings.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 01:17:16 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 01:30:22 PM »
I actually hate the rating system.  It doesn't mean anything because it only takes a group of people to do it, not the entire nation.  With all the digital cable boxes, they really should be able to get ratings from those.

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 07:59:55 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 4 2004, 01:30 PM\']I actually hate the rating system.  It doesn't mean anything because it only takes a group of people to do it, not the entire nation.  With all the digital cable boxes, they really should be able to get ratings from those.
[snapback]66057[/snapback]
[/quote]

And then we enter the world of potential invasion of privacy issues.  Would you like any Comcast employee to release how many times you were watching "Real Sex" on HBO and use it to blackmail you?  Granted, if you order Playboy or Spice on PPV, they potentially already have that kind of deadly information, but privacy policies would state that if the Comcast employee tried to pull any cheap stuff on you and got caught, he'd be fired and brought to court.  As much as I'd like to have a PVR, there's still the feeling that anyone who's an employee, whether it's TiVO, Replay or the cable company, can look at my list and wreak havoc with it.  I just feel uncomfortable with the cable company having wide-open access to my viewing patterns.

The people who run the ratings say that their samples are scientifically-balanced to form a model group of the public and are as accurate as humanly possible, particularly anything that electronically records viewing.  Since the broadcasters and advertisers need a scorecard and there isn't anything else out there that doesn't present privacy issues, under the circumstances the current ratings system is probably the best possible solution until someone else figures out something better.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 11:08:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 4 2004, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 4 2004, 01:30 PM\']I actually hate the rating system.  It doesn't mean anything because it only takes a group of people to do it, not the entire nation.  With all the digital cable boxes, they really should be able to get ratings from those.
[snapback]66057[/snapback]
[/quote]

And then we enter the world of potential invasion of privacy issues.  Would you like any Comcast employee to release how many times you were watching "Real Sex" on HBO and use it to blackmail you?  
[snapback]66088[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's true.  I, for some horribly stupid reason, keep forgetting the privacy issues with that stuff.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 11:08:42 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 04:03:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 4 2004, 08:59 PM\']The people who run the ratings say that their samples are scientifically-balanced to form a model group of the public and are as accurate as humanly possible, particularly anything that electronically records viewing.  [/quote]
Which was fine back when they used a couple thousand homes to measure the ratings of three networks.  But now that there are hundreds of choices, the samples haven't gotten that much larger, and they ludicrously continue to ignore significant chuncks of the audience, anything less than 1.0 just doesn't strike me as particulatly relevant.  In other words, the difference between a "measly" 0.3 and a "huge" 0.7 could easily be attributed to a dog pawing at a remote.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SplitSecond

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2004, 05:14:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 02:03 PM\']In other words, the difference between a "measly" 0.3 and a "huge" 0.7 could easily be attributed to a dog pawing at a remote.
[snapback]66139[/snapback]
[/quote]

We should be so lucky.

rugrats1

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2004, 06:01:56 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 01:19 PM\']G4TechTV is doing really bad.  There is about an 80% chance reported of it turning back to G4TV.
[/quote]

It will, come in January, when the "Tech Tv" part of the name is slated to be dropped.

Which is a big punch in the gut for loyal Tech TV viewers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 06:02:20 PM by rugrats1 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 06:52:27 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 04:01 PM\']Which is a big punch in the gut for loyal Tech TV viewers.
[snapback]66145[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ah, the BIG punch came when the merge happened and Comcast killed all of the good shows in favor of their crappy video game review programs.

This of this as the light follow-up kick to the nutz. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 09:43:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 05:52 PM\']
This of this as the light follow-up kick to the nutz. :)
[snapback]66149[/snapback]
[/quote]

The name change & dropping of the quality programs was the gut-shot.  The name change is the nut-shot afterward...That begs the question:  What will the figurative call to the police be? :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 09:44:03 PM by Seth Thrasher »

CaseyAbell

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2004, 08:44:33 AM »
Nielsen is expanding their sample to ten thousand households and rolling out people meters to get better info than the old diary system. Folks in the business have complained about the accuracy of Nielsen's numbers since the Jurassic period.

I really don't see how the complaints can be tested unless a competitor begins collecting comparable data. The broadcast networks, who have been getting slapped around by Nielsen's numbers for a long time, talked about setting up such a competitor a couple years ago but nothing came of it. It's safe to say that such a broadcast-sponsored competitor would have produced lower numbers for most cable outlets, which would have set off a new round of complaints...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 08:52:01 AM by CaseyAbell »

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2004, 05:21:47 PM »
The name change & dropping of the quality programs was the gut-shot.  The name change is the nut-shot afterward...That begs the question:  What will the figurative call to the police be? :)
[snapback]66175[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm just counting the days until Judgement Day and X-Play are merged into one show (Judgement Play? X-Day? X-Judgement Day?), with Tommy Tallarico and Adam Sessler as co-hosts, and Morgan Webb and Victor Lucas take over the Electric Playground. Now they've G4-ized The Screen Savers and made Kevin Rose second-fiddle once again. The worst part is they got rid of the audience. No more Woo Woo Guy? BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

cmjb13

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2004, 05:34:01 PM »
[quote name=\'wvoutlaw2002\' date=\'Dec 12 2004, 05:21 PM\']The worst part is they got rid of the audience.
[snapback]66980[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, that was a great move.

I really didn't understand why there was one in the first place.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS