Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ANother casualty in GSN schedule change this week?  (Read 9238 times)

zachhoran

ANother casualty in GSN schedule change this week?
« on: December 01, 2004, 08:02:23 AM »
No one has reported his here, but as of this week, the 3-4PM hour is now Lingo and MG76, with Lingo displacing MG73. Another run of Millionaire now airs from 5-6PM. Looks like Russian ROulette, which aired its last first run episode on 4/1/03, is off the schedule.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 01:04:39 PM »
There are already several threads about this on the GSN board. Really not too surprising to see a shakeup in the afternoon schedule. GSN ran a total day 0.2 rating in October, according to the Starz press release. That's not horrible by the network's historic standards, but it ain't all that great, either. So Millionaire gets wheeled out in late afternoon to attract a few more eyeballs. It's been GSN's warhorse since last October, but they're riding this nag hard.

After the return of All New 3's a Crap and Hollywood Showdown from the long-lost, I wouldn't be surprised to see RR reruns eventually resurface on GSN. Who knows, Inquizition might turn up one of these days. (Extreme Gong? Nah, banish the ghastly thought.)

Another tweak occurs in the prime time schedule, at least if you believe Zap2it. Dodgeball gets trimmed to one hour Thursday night, with Dog Eat Dog and WBSM taking the other two hours.

Also, the poker show starts next Tuesday, with a couple showings interspersed with Blackjack eps. Speaking of Blackjack it gets a marathon Sunday, December 19. Which means it joins Feud, Dodgeball, Lingo, WBSM and Millionaire in recent or upcoming marathons. This network is marathon-crazed.

The second season of civvie Blackjack and the horseracing show start the week of January 10.

By the way, Starz promises to release those ratings every month, which would be a nice source of free info on the cable universe. Sure, the numbers are limited. No viewer totals, no demos, no individual show numbers. But it's better than the scanty info currently available for free on the web. At least it provides a quick and dirty idea of who's who in the cable business.

Starz (oddly enough, GSN's corporate sibling) of course has some self-interest here. They want to show how they outrank many ad-supported cablers. That's kind of apples and oranges, but I'll take the numbers, anyway. And the Starz exec does make a good point that movies really are big for many cable operations.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:18:51 PM by CaseyAbell »

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »
Didn't realize G4 was doing so bad.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:10:08 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

itiparanoid13

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 01:19:19 PM »
Yeah, it's too bad about RR, especially since it's the top rated original with a .38, which is only .04 less than Extreme Dodgeball.  I doubt it'll be coming back, but you never know.  And yeah, G4TechTV is doing really bad.  There is about an 80% chance reported of it turning back to G4TV.  I am still sticking with that something is up with the Sony license and GSN.  Sony was already not reportedly "friends" with GSN.  I mean, there were plenty of other shows to get rid of on the network that did much worse.  Russian Roulette was technically a syndicated show, anyway; just, and for what reason Sony decided I will never know, a syndicated show to GSN exclusively.  I'm actually shocked that Sony left RR on the network for so long with no new episodes.  Also, I wouldn't be shocked to see Jeopardy leave pretty soon either.  Oh well, as long as they keep showing half way decent shows on GSN like they have been, it's cool.  I haven't really watched the network except in primetime for about 2 months anyway.  I get sick of the constant repeats.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:26:09 PM by itiparanoid13 »

CaseyAbell

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 01:26:09 PM »
Was 0.38 for October? Seems pretty high given GSN's overall numbers for the month. Haven't seen anything anywhere about Sony's unhappiness with GSN. The network is on the verge of full-year profitability after some horrendous red ink in the past, so it looks like a strange time for Sony to get upset.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:28:31 PM by CaseyAbell »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 01:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 01:26 PM\']Was 0.38 for October? Seems pretty high given GSN's overall numbers for the month.
[snapback]65656[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, it was .38 for the month of October.  I confirmed it with GSN.  Again, I can give the name of the person who gave me the info if you need proof.  I have 3 people that actually helped me, if you want their names.  Lingo got a .33.  Match Game got a .2.  Family Feud is currently the biggest classic with a .4, actually tied with Extreme Dodgeball and Blackjack.  Millionaire is not suprisingly right up there too.  Stuff might have changed between Sony and GSN before too, but I know that there was some bad blood before.  I know that Mark L. had some "interesting" things to say about GSN to me when I talked to him last week.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:29:54 PM by itiparanoid13 »

CaseyAbell

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 01:31:16 PM »
Sure, if those folks don't mind their names appearing on the web. I'd like to see if they could provide some more numbers.

Does MG's number average all the showings, including late night? That might account for the big gap between it and Feud.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:34:34 PM by CaseyAbell »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 01:32:33 PM »
No, I can give their name, but not their email.  They specifically asked me in the response not to give their information out.  I can copy that email to you if you want, with the address obviously edited.  And they told me those are the only shows they could give me info about for that month.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 01:39:07 PM »
Well, I don't want to push if they've got privacy concerns. It ain't easy coming by individual cable show numbers except for a very few top performers.

As for G4 not doing so well, my biggest surprise was CNBC practically falling off the page. I heard they ran into trouble after the NASDAQ crash, but a 0.1 total day and prime time? Ouch.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:44:14 PM by CaseyAbell »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 01:47:51 PM »
What we need is somebody who works at an ad agency as a time buyer.  Then we could get all the numbers for all the shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 03:49:30 PM »
The interesting thing here is that GSN is tied with some more heavily-hyped channels that you would think would be doing better than they are (Hellooooo, Bravo!  Hellooooo, VH1!  Helloooo, E!)  Of course, I know demos are also a factor, but it's interesting to see the ratings company the relatively-unsung GSN keeps.

Red

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 06:53:33 PM »
RR is the best "Pre-Reality" era original GSN has. Its a shame that it is off the schedule. Why couldnt it have been Lingo! *ducks from fans*
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

sshuffield70

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 09:32:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Red\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:53 PM\']RR is the best "Pre-Reality" era original GSN has. Its a shame that it is off the schedule. Why couldnt it have been Lingo! *ducks from fans*
[snapback]65717[/snapback]
[/quote]

.....Whammy drops thousands of ping pong balls on Red......

itiparanoid13

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 01:02:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Red\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:53 PM\']RR is the best "Pre-Reality" era original GSN has. Its a shame that it is off the schedule. Why couldnt it have been Lingo! *ducks from fans*
[snapback]65717[/snapback]
[/quote]

Because GSN isn't paying the money that they do for RR on Lingo.  Yeah, if anything, Whammy is the lowest rated original game show; that would have been nice to ditch.

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 01:30:16 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 01:02 PM\'] Whammy is the lowest rated original game show; that would have been nice to ditch.[/quote]IIRC, shortly after it's debut GSN sent out a release that said that it achieved it's highest rating on the station.

Ignorant on so many levels espcially since the show never came close to that again.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS