Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Jennings out of a job  (Read 11218 times)

zachhoran

Ken Jennings out of a job
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 09:46:37 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 08:52 PM\']And that's 15 weeks of his shows, not even counting the breaks he has had in between.

Incidentally, how many weeks of regular shows (not tournaments, kids weeks, celeb weeks, etc.) are there in one season of Jeopardy?
[snapback]65738[/snapback]
[/quote]

Always 46 weeks in a J! season. The number of regular weeks vary by one or two a year, depending on whether they have a TofC or celeb weeks or not. Last season didn't have a TofC(last one before this season was in May 2003), this season did. There were about two years without a celeb week of shows, due in part to the death of talent coordinator Georgina Warwick a few years ago. This season has already had five special weeks, and will probably have the Teen week in Feb or May, and a celeb and kids week may be in the offing on the other sweeps month. If this is true, figure on 37 regular weeks this year. Other years could have as many as 40.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »
That's around what I figured.

My dad was trying to sell me some BS that Jeopardy was still doing 13-week seasons. :P

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2004, 10:57:51 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:16 PM\']I dunno. Long gone are the days where $2.5 million meant you were set for life. [/quote]
Perhaps, if all you planned on doing was sit on the $2.5M and coast for the rest of your life.  But for a bright, young, charismatic individual with all sorts of options, $2.5M means you don't have to punch a time clock for a good long time, and it frees you up to pursue opportunities you could only dream of before this happened.  It's a life-changing amount of money, and something tells me Ken has no intention of sitting on his butt and living off interest.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2004, 11:15:47 PM »
So University's working on a "Can You Beat Ken" game, eh? I just bought Mr. Moog's "Beat The Experts" game for around $8.99 at Meijer. Board game shelf lives ain't what they used to be...hope he's printing just enough to sustain sales at full retail until they're gone. Unless Ken gets a lot more positive media exposure, some people might forget who he is by Christmas 2005....

..or wouldn't it be a hoot if between now and the game's release, Jeopardy had a new 80-game winner? Not meaning to be mean, but a game company would have an unenviable task trying to market a game themed on the second best Jeopardy champion ever...

..there goes my possible free audition copy...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 11:19:16 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004, 11:46:47 PM »
lol. A while back, I had a dream that one of my friends was on an ungodly run on Jeopardy. The screen that came up said she had won (I think) $21,973,602 over 574 days.

What was really funny was that that math adds up! Not bad considering it was a dream.

Skynet74

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2004, 12:08:29 AM »
Yeah well that's more accurate than my dream. There was No banging of the Podium by Ken and he also lost to a woman. In my dream it was Man. The only part I got right wa........ Well actually I did not get any part right! Damn those inaccurate dreams! I'll have to wotk on that. ;-)

John

Kevin Prather

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2004, 12:18:32 AM »
Well, Ken did slap his podium when his answer was revealed. It's not banging by any means, but it's surprising like close.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2004, 01:43:37 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 10:18 PM\']Well, Ken did slap his podium when his answer was revealed. It's not banging by any means, but it's surprising like close.
[snapback]65768[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was hardly done as an emotional reaction, either, seeing as at that moment he already knew he had lost for a solid twenty seconds or so.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2004, 09:25:56 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 10:02 PM\']That's around what I figured.

My dad was trying to sell me some BS that Jeopardy was still doing 13-week seasons. :P
[snapback]65748[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nah, that's only if GSN is producing the show......which is why it's still in the sorry state that it is.

uncamark

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2004, 04:31:08 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 09:25 AM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 10:02 PM\']That's around what I figured.

[snapback]65748[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nah, that's only if GSN is producing the show......which is why it's still in the sorry state that it is.
[snapback]65792[/snapback]
[/quote]

65-episode orders (or 13, if it's a once-a-week-show) for renewal are fairly common in cable.  In the case of scripted shows, they're welcomed.  "Celebrity Poker Showdown"'s last renewal from Bravo was only for 6 episodes, unless they taped another six at the same time as the ones that just aired that Bravo's sitting on for a while.

And "J!" has never done really long stretches of reruns.  The network versions ran without repeats year-round, while the current version was 195 shows a season for the first few years and 230 a season from 1987 or 1988 to the present day.

cmjb13

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2004, 05:15:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 10:57 PM\'][quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:16 PM\']I dunno. Long gone are the days where $2.5 million meant you were set for life. [/quote]
Perhaps, if all you planned on doing was sit on the $2.5M and coast for the rest of your life.  But for a bright, young, charismatic individual with all sorts of options, $2.5M means you don't have to punch a time clock for a good long time, and it frees you up to pursue opportunities you could only dream of before this happened.  It's a life-changing amount of money, and something tells me Ken has no intention of sitting on his butt and living off interest.
[snapback]65751[/snapback]
[/quote]
After taxes and his church donation, he'll wind up with "only" about 1.2 million.

It's the book, game, commericals (if any), is where he'll do well.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Gromit

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2004, 08:03:10 PM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:17 PM\']Last night on the radio on the way home from work, we heard a Werid Al Yankovich song called: "I lost on Jeopardy!" It actually sounded quite good, but in an online search for the MP3, the only thing that was available that "I" found was FOR SALE.

Did anybody else hear the song? If you haven't heard it, keep your ears open for it. It really wasn't half-bad.
[snapback]65729[/snapback]
[/quote]

Heh. Welcome to the 80's.

Young 'uns. ;)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2004, 08:11:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 06:03 PM\'][quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:17 PM\']
Did anybody else hear the song? If you haven't heard it, keep your ears open for it. It really wasn't half-bad.
[/quote]

Young 'uns. ;)
[snapback]65839[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exactly. If you haven't heard "I Lost On Jeopardy", where have you BEEN for the last 21 years? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2004, 08:15:59 PM »
Probably watching Madonna, Britney Spears and the like throw their t**s around. ;-)

zachhoran

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2004, 08:24:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 08:03 PM\'][quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:17 PM\']Last night on the radio on the way home from work, we heard a Werid Al Yankovich song called: "I lost on Jeopardy!"

[/quote]

Young 'uns. ;)
[snapback]65839[/snapback]
[/quote]

Those younger folks who now listen to 80s radio stations aren't going to hear too many songs that peaked below #20 on the charts, and I Lost on Jeopardy peaked in the 80's on the Hot 100.