Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pennsylvania Game  (Read 10974 times)

Dolemite3303

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2003, 07:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 20 2003, 02:33 PM\'] Yeah, that's easy to say when you *win*! [/quote]
 Yeah, that's true.  If I had lost I probably would have tried to burn the set down or something.

ChuckNet

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2003, 12:13:37 AM »
Dear God, I've been trying to remember his name for about 15 years! Thank you!

If I remember correctly, he also used to host a local PBS talk show called \"Taking Note\" (now known as \"Take Note\"); I believe Patty Satalia replaced him on that at about the same time that he stopped hosting The Pennsylvania Game.

There was also a \"Wendy Williams\" listed in the credits of early eps of Double Dare as a writer...since both that show and TPG taped at WHYY (I believe), it's a definite possibility they're one in the same.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2003, 12:15:28 AM »
Another locally produced Q&A show no one has mentioned is the Pacific Northwest 80s favorite On the Spot, which aired on I think KGO in Portland and possibly a couple other stations.

And from the 1 ep in the trading circuit, it was a pretty decent game...they actually billed it in the opening spiel by saying \"you don't have to go to Hollywood to win big!\".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

inturnaround

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2003, 03:32:49 AM »
WLVT does a high school quiz show called Scholastic Scrimmage. It is a terribly dry quiz. The sad part is the kids never really seem to add much personality. Shame.

Growing up, though, I wanted to be on it just to show people I could do it. Unfortunately I live in Bucks County and it was only for those schools in the Lehigh Valley.

http://www.wlvt.org/EDUCATION/SCHOLASTICSC...olScrimMAIN.htm
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Matt Ottinger

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2003, 12:16:21 PM »
WLVT does a high school quiz show called Scholastic Scrimmage. It is a terribly dry quiz. The sad part is the kids never really seem to add much personality. Shame.
One of the problems of ANY academic quiz is that students really don't get a chance to add a lot of personality.  We give our players just a tiny bit of time to say something about themselves.  I wish there was a way around that -- I tell people how engaging most of the students are off camera -- but with (typcially) eight contestants to get through, you just can't spend a lot of time with each one.

But yeah, from the web page, Scholastic Scrimmage looks drier than most.  Any show that describes its format as \"Contestants try to answer questions more quickly than members of the opposite team\" really isn't making creativity a priority.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.