Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Beverly interview with Tom Kennedy  (Read 15055 times)

inturnaround

Steve Beverly interview with Tom Kennedy
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2003, 08:12:24 PM »
Oh, I respect the work he puts into the site and the love he has for game shows. And I respect that he's a journalist with a lot of accomplishments. I'm just saying that there's room for a website that doesn't have his viewpoint that reports the news.

I'm not irked by his success. It really is hard work. I just disagree with some of his viewpoints and think another way can be successful.

That being said, I agree that it isn't easy to commit to a website without a strong leader and staff. But SB has a staff (unless he refers to himself in the third person in the stories he writes), so I don't see why it couldn't (in theory, at least) work. What's past is not always prologue.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2003, 08:45:58 PM »
Well put, Tim.

Now normally, I defend some of Steve's views, and the way he does things sometimes-I always used the argument, \"It's his site, he's the premiere site for info on GS.\"
However,  this is WRONG. Steve, if you are reading this, You were wrong in taking his pics. That's not fair to Adam, and that's just rude.
insert signature here

davemackey

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2003, 08:50:43 PM »
It's entirely possible that Steve may be using the same source material. Aren't those grabs off a Shokus tape? We all know Steve is good buddes with Stu Shostak.

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2003, 08:52:59 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 02:44 PM\']Well really, in retrospect, what can you expect from a media person?  They will cheat, and lie, and cut every corner to make an appealing story.[/quote]
That's a gross and offensive generalization.

A media person,
- CA -

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2003, 09:47:20 PM »
Since when was YDS '75 on Shokus tapes?    

Covering the Screengrabs
First off, let's start with the logo pic.     The chase lights, if you look really closely, are in the EXACT same position.   This could, FEASIBLY, be coincidence.

But, in the 2nd picture, the coincidence window is stretched RAZOR thin.    Everyone and everything are in the EXACT same spots in both pictures.   The only differences are that A)The Brightness has been turned up a tad, B)The Edges have been slightly cropped [which is the case for nearly all pics on his sight], and C)There's JPEG artifacts in the picture from where the file was resaved...

(There are rarely if ever artifacts left over in an original screengrab.....I know there are none in the ones I take using my Dazzle [and by default, WinXP saves the screens in JPG format].   It's only after you take a pic into an editor and edit/resave it that the artifacts appear [The amount of artifacts is dependent on the compression amount...default leaves a noticeable but not major amount, which the pic in question has])

whampyl03

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2003, 10:19:34 PM »
WHOA!  I just read the last thing I typed.  That made me sound like an idiot.  When I typed that out, I REALLY didn't mean it like that.  I meant that MANY people in the media do that, and MANY will cheat and lie, exc. But there is also many good, trusted media people out there. I'm REALLY sorry for the previous comment.  If I really offended somebody, then I give you my absolute most sincere apologies.  Still, if steve was a decent media person, he should have given the credit where the credit is due.

If it makes you media people feel any better, If you see me walking across the street someday, you can beat me senseless with Card Sharks '01 tapes.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 10:29:08 PM by whampyl03 »

CBSJokersWildFan

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2003, 10:26:53 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 08:50 PM\']It's entirely possible that Steve may be using the same source material.[/quote]

Which was what I was trying to say, initially.  He may have seen those pictures without knowing they were already in use on another site.  That's what I meant to say when I used \"inadvertently\" inadvertently.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2003, 10:52:06 PM »
[quote name=\'CBSJokersWildFan\' date=\'Jul 22 2003, 02:26 AM\'] [quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 08:50 PM\']It's entirely possible that Steve may be using the same source material.[/quote]

Which was what I was trying to say, initially.  He may have seen those pictures without knowing they were already in use on another site.  That's what I meant to say when I used "inadvertently" inadvertently. [/quote]
 No no no no no.

No.

The pictures for Steve's Tom Kennedy story come from two sources.  One of them is a magnificent copy of an original show with Pat Carroll and Mel Torme, that I'm assuming Steve had access to through his friendship with Kennedy himself.  

And three shots came from Adam's page about YDS '75.  Even if they were working off the same \"source material\" (and I don't think Stu offers any YDS for sale), when you see the two sets of pictures, it's simply impossible to chalk the identical images up to coincidence.  Or \"inadvertentness\".  

The pictures came from Adam's site.  Say what you want about the legal, moral, ethical, whateverical issue involved.  But the fact that the pictures on Steve's site came from Adam's page is a given.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CBSJokersWildFan

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2003, 11:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 10:52 PM\'](and I don't think Stu offers any YDS for sale)[/quote]

Well, after I last posted, I checked the Shokus Video site, and ,at present, there are no episodes of You Don't Say!, from any run, available.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\']when you see the two sets of pictures, it's simply impossible to chalk the identical images up to coincidence.  Or \"inadvertentness\". 

The pictures came from Adam's site[/quote]

I think I agree with you.  I wish to repudiate my earlier remarks.   I also apologize to anyone I might have offended by anything I posted in this thread.

trainman

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2003, 12:03:28 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 12:31 PM\'] I was born about halfway through the run of "You Don't Say".  I have watched more than my fair share of game shows.  I've looked at tons of web sites and so forth.  That said, I never heard of "YDS".  Never heard it mentioned, never seen a clip of it (I know, all the tapes were probably destroyed), etc.

Was this show really as big a deal as Mr. Beverly suggests? [/quote]
 I don't know if it was that big a deal, but my father occasionally waxes nostalgic about watching it and \"The Match Game\" with his mother after he got home from school.  So there are at least three people with good memories of \"YDS\" (including Tom Kennedy and Steve Beverly).

Not that I do much tape trading, but I happen to know there are a couple of episodes on the trading circuit.
trainman is a man of trains

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2003, 12:25:35 AM »
Well it seems I set off quite an uproar here...
OK, we can put this to bed folks, here's why:
Immediately after I posted the first item in this thread, I e-mailed Steve Beverly with essentially the same words. I just received a response from him basically saying he got the images from Google's cache and didn't know where they originally came from, but now that I've made contact with him, he will post a link to my site and credit me properly.
And that's the end of that. Period.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2003, 12:47:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 09:25 PM\'] basically saying he got the images from Google's cache and didn't know where they originally came from,

[/quote]
 So it ain't plagarism if you don't know the source. Makes me wish I were one of his students, I would LOVE to try that with one of his term papers.

but now that I've made contact with him, he will post a link to my site and credit me properly.

Sure, now that he's been caught red-handed.

All props to him for trying to make it right, but this won't go unforgotten.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2003, 01:04:23 AM »
*sigh* if he can't figure out where images are from in a Google search, is he smart enough to be a perfesser? Even in Tennessee?
(with apologies to all the fine, hard-working folks in Tennessee).
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2003, 01:48:43 AM »
if he can't figure out where images are from in a Google search, is he smart enough to be a perfesser
I think it's much more accurate to say he didn't bother to worry where they came from.  To whatever degree he thought about it at all, I doubt Steve considered what he was doing to be any big deal.  That's his fan side taking priority over his journalist side.  As I said earlier in the thread, usually all it takes -- as it did in this case -- is a gentle e-mail.

(with apologies to all the fine, hard-working folks in Tennessee).
Or FROM Tennessee, like your friendly moderator?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2003, 09:27:14 AM »
Actualy, I just visited the page, and the YDS '75 images are gone.   No mention of anything, just some YDS '63 images in their place