Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Beverly interview with Tom Kennedy  (Read 15015 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Steve Beverly interview with Tom Kennedy
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2003, 04:54:38 PM »
[quote name=\'CBSJokersWildFan\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 03:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 04:45 PM\']I got the wild notion that that was Beverly under an alias. [/quote]
It's not.  I just happen to be a frequent reader of Professor Beverly's page.  I apologize if I ruffled any feathers here. [/quote]
 No problem. Like I said, it was a wild notion that just jumped into my head.

As Mike Klauss used to say, \"You can't spell SB without BS!\"

And you can't spell \"Steve Beverly\" without \"steel!\" [I know, it's a stretch]

Brian44

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2003, 05:11:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 03:14 PM\'] (hey, has "sanctimonious proselytizing" ever been a WOF puzzle?) [/quote]
 Well, Chris, I believe \"PROSELYTIZING\" was a Megaword Puzzle back in May of 1993.  ;)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2003, 06:22:56 PM »
I apologize if I ruffled any feathers here.
No problem, but you do need to understand that this isn't a matter of disagreeing with an opinion.  Virtually all of us regularly read the site, even many who claim they don't.  We can debate about the seriousness of the \"crime\" all we want, and of course you're welcome to have any opinion you want about the man himself.  But to suggest that the pictures accidentally made their way to Steve's site, or that he didn't mean for them to appear there, really doesn't make any sense.  You do understand the meaning of the word \"inadvertently\", don't you?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SplitSecond

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2003, 06:30:57 PM »
Never mind the screen grabs.  Technically, those aren't your property.  If you made a print replication of a Warhol painting, then Steve went and made an exact replication using the same process, I really wouldn't recommend revving up your respective attorneys, because both of you could be found to be in hot water if there was any notion that either of you were using the images as part of a commercial venture.

What really irks me is the fact that the man is basically interviewing himself, and poor Tom Kennedy is merely a bystander.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2003, 06:34:28 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 05:30 PM\'] What really irks me is the fact that the man is basically interviewing himself, and poor Tom Kennedy is merely a bystander. [/quote]
 The same can be said with his interview with Kathy Garver, where Steve leads her into talking about how family-unfriendly TV is...interesting she mentions PAX, which I thought was in (ObGameShow) jeopardy.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

inturnaround

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2003, 06:43:59 PM »
I wouldn't really call SB a journalist. He's a game show fan who posts news tidbits that often go way overboard in the editorializing department. Few people ever think TV is as good as it was years ago.

I bet if we really put our heads together, we could come up with a better game show news site. You know, one with a real editor and journalistic principles. Maybe one that carries editorials, but marks them as such. One that interviews actually interesting people instead of those that agree with your own viewpoint about television being a vast wasteland.

It's a niche that's currently unfilled. I'd be willing to pull up my sleeves and help...but I don't know anything in the way of advanced web design and I'm just a baby when it comes to Photoshop. So, if it is to be done, it would need to be a group effort.

Is it worth doing? Shall we challenge the professor?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2003, 06:51:29 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 05:43 PM\'] I bet if we really put our heads together, we could come up with a better game show news site. You know, one with a real editor and journalistic principles. Maybe one that carries editorials, but marks them as such. One that interviews actually interesting people instead of those that agree with your own viewpoint about television being a vast wasteland.

It's a niche that's currently unfilled. I'd be willing to pull up my sleeves and help...but I don't know anything in the way of advanced web design and I'm just a baby when it comes to Photoshop. So, if it is to be done, it would need to be a group effort.

Is it worth doing? Shall we challenge the professor? [/quote]
 There is one site, GameShow NewsNet

http://www.stormseeker.com/games/index.html

Another site was the Game Show Times, from April 2002, run by Mike Klauss...unfortunately, things there fell through, with lack of contribution (yet we have people who give Steve tons of GS info...go figure), disappointing many, including myself.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

CBSJokersWildFan

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2003, 06:56:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 06:22 PM\']You do understand the meaning of the word \"inadvertently\", don't you?[/quote]

Yes, Mr. Ottinger, I do.  I apologize if I used the wrong word.  May I e-mail you with a question?

ssjason

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2003, 07:02:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 05:51 PM\']

http://www.stormseeker.com/games/index.html[/quote]
And since we've already been \"plugged\"...we are ALWAYS looking for people to contribute to the site.  Chico and Gordon do a WHOLE LOT for the site, and I have many ideas that due to time constraints and relying on Geocities server space, can't be done at this time.

That said, if anyone wants to help us out (contributors, server space, etc.) and maybe help us move to the next level, please use our feedback form on the webpage.  Our 'contributors' list is always open.

--Jason E.
Webmaster, GSNN

dzinkin

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2003, 07:08:27 PM »
(Just kidding Dave, I don't want to be on Moroniaire, if it's still running)

For PeterMarshallFan and everyone else who's asked me this: Moronionaire is over.  It's true that JW and I toyed with the idea of bringing it back, but Matt and Chris came up with a better solution -- a forum where Moronionaire isn't necessary or relevant.

- David

inturnaround

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2003, 07:08:54 PM »
I was not aware of that site. No sense reinventing the wheel. If I can help out, I'll certainly do so. :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Timsterino

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2003, 07:18:21 PM »
[quote name=\'ssjason\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 06:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 05:51 PM\']

http://www.stormseeker.com/games/index.html[/quote]
And since we've already been "plugged"...we are ALWAYS looking for people to contribute to the site.  Chico and Gordon do a WHOLE LOT for the site, and I have many ideas that due to time constraints and relying on Geocities server space, can't be done at this time.

That said, if anyone wants to help us out (contributors, server space, etc.) and maybe help us move to the next level, please use our feedback form on the webpage.  Our 'contributors' list is always open.

--Jason E.
Webmaster, GSNN [/quote]
 I had the pleasure of meeting Gordon in Las Vegas. He is a great guy. I would be happy to contribute what I can to your site. Please e-mail me at timerika@bellsouth.net .

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2003, 07:18:37 PM »
And we're back around to \"let's challenge the professor\" again.  It's amazing how many times we run ourselves around into the same circles.

The criticism of Steve Beverly always seems to miss the staggering amount of effort he puts into keeping his website fresh and current.  Sure, he takes shortcuts and sure, he reveals a personal bias.  It's a personal web site, one that happens to be popular.  GameShow NewsNet is pretty popular too, and if you want unvarnished news items and recaps of what happened on the shows themselves, our own Chris Lambert keeps his Original Game Show Page updated pretty consistantly at http://www.chris-lambert.com/GSP.html .

The fact is that Beverly is a big game show fan and, separately, he has legitimate journalistic credentials.  That's not debatable.  What seems to irk his critics is that he's taken the two separate things, plus a lot of gumption and hard work, and managed to make his personal fan site look more important than it really is.  The internet is full of that sort of thing, people who take a personal interest and turn it into something bigger, and I don't know of any webmaster who wouldn't love for the same thing to happen to his site.

Call him on it when he makes a mistake -- and yes, taking Adam's pictures without asking was at the very least a moral mistake, SplitSecond's valid dismissal of the legal issues notwithstanding.  But don't think for a moment that a loosely confederated group of fans can get together and mount a serious challenge to what he's accomplished.  It's been tried.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2003, 07:40:35 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 06:08 PM\']
(Just kidding Dave, I don't want to be on Moroniaire, if it's still running)

For PeterMarshallFan and everyone else who's asked me this: Moronionaire is over.  It's true that JW and I toyed with the idea of bringing it back, but Matt and Chris came up with a better solution -- a forum where Moronionaire isn't necessary or relevant.

- David [/quote]
 OK.

Timsterino

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2003, 08:00:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 06:18 PM\'] And we're back around to "let's challenge the professor" again.  It's amazing how many times we run ourselves around into the same circles.

The criticism of Steve Beverly always seems to miss the staggering amount of effort he puts into keeping his website fresh and current.  Sure, he takes shortcuts and sure, he reveals a personal bias.  It's a personal web site, one that happens to be popular.  GameShow NewsNet is pretty popular too, and if you want unvarnished news items and recaps of what happened on the shows themselves, our own Chris Lambert keeps his Original Game Show Page updated pretty consistantly at http://www.chris-lambert.com/GSP.html .

The fact is that Beverly is a big game show fan and, separately, he has legitimate journalistic credentials.  That's not debatable.  What seems to irk his critics is that he's taken the two separate things, plus a lot of gumption and hard work, and managed to make his personal fan site look more important than it really is.  The internet is full of that sort of thing, people who take a personal interest and turn it into something bigger, and I don't know of any webmaster who wouldn't love for the same thing to happen to his site.

Call him on it when he makes a mistake -- and yes, taking Adam's pictures without asking was at the very least a moral mistake, SplitSecond's valid dismissal of the legal issues notwithstanding.  But don't think for a moment that a loosely confederated group of fans can get together and mount a serious challenge to what he's accomplished.  It's been tried. [/quote]
 Well said Matt. I respect Steve for the amount of effort it takes for him to put his site together and I also respect his love for game shows. I am not going to get into the debate of whether taking pictures is wrong. It is wrong.  

However, it is not my my place to point fingers and I do not even think this really should be a public discussion.  The man is not here to defend himself. I think this is a private matter that needs to be handled privately by those who are affected.

Just my opinion. Fire away if you wish.

Tim