Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Beverly interview with Tom Kennedy  (Read 15017 times)

Adam Nedeff

Steve Beverly interview with Tom Kennedy
« on: July 21, 2003, 01:20:26 PM »
I was just taking a look at the fourth and final part of Steve Beverly's interview with Tom Kennedy. If you scroll down to Tom talking about the 1975 revival of YDS! you'll find some interesting screengrabs. Gee, I wonder where he got them...

Steve's interview site

My You Don't Say site

Now I know there are a lot of Steve supporters who might defend him when members of this board criticize his writing, but even the Beverly backers have to agree that taking somebody else's work and using it on your site, without giving proper credit, and more importantly, without asking that person, is pretty damn inexcusable...

ESPECIALLY when you're a former broadcast journalist who currently teachers journalism to the next generation.

whewfan

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 01:44:40 PM »
Now watch this..... Steve B will look at this post, and then immediately give you the proper credit for the photos, without acknowleding he made an error.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 03:04:29 PM »
That's why I've both saved a copy of the Tom Interview webpage, as is right now, to my hard drive, down to every last graphic and typo, as well as taken a series of screengrabs of the IE window of the whole page.

And what REALLY gets my goat about all this, is that not only did he not give credit, he tried to cover his tracks by tinkering with the brightness on them, resizing one, and cropping the other (And, for the record, in 2 of the 3, you can tell they're the same, because everyone and everything are in the exact same spot.  The EXACT same spot.  As for the B&W one..what are the odds that 2 people would resize the same photograph to the EXACT same size.   Not that good huh.   And, not to mention that, as I recall, when I was converting that image for the game show utopia site (For those who didn't know, I do a lot of the grpahical and HTML work on it), the original looked a little green, until I used a filter in PSP7 to turn it to a true B&W.  And the photo on tvgs.net has no green to be found, yet is the same photo....hmm)

melman1

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 03:31:54 PM »
Not to change the subject, but... aw, screw it.  I'm gonna change the subject.

I was born about halfway through the run of \"You Don't Say\".  I have watched more than my fair share of game shows.  I've looked at tons of web sites and so forth.  That said, I never heard of \"YDS\".  Never heard it mentioned, never seen a clip of it (I know, all the tapes were probably destroyed), etc.

Was this show really as big a deal as Mr. Beverly suggests?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 03:34:14 PM »
[Zinkin] Steve Beverly is Ken Van Hoosier!! [/Zinkin]

(Just kidding Dave, I don't want to be on Moroniaire, if it's still running)

Seriously, I knew those pics looked familiar. As I was reading that, I thought \"My God....has Beverly gone assclown?\" I think he has.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 03:42:12 PM »
No, Steve's understandably letting his fondness for Kennedy cloud his judgment.  It was fun enough, and certainly a successful series, but it never captured the public's imagination the way the simpler, classier \"Password\" did.  It did make Kennedy's career, and for that we can all be grateful.

As for taking Adam's pictures without permission (to say nothing of attribution), I'm afraid that's becoming more and more common in the file-sharing mentality that's developed on the net.  I've had to deal with it a few times. (I take it more seriously than most net issues because often the pictures that are stolen from my site aren't mine, they're Fred Wostbrock's.)  Usually, a polite e-mail to the offending party is enough to have the images removed.  Guilt is a powerful motivating factor.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 03:51:10 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 03:43:57 PM »
I was born about halfway through the run of \"You Don't Say\".  I have watched more than my fair share of game shows.  I've looked at tons of web sites and so forth.  That said, I never heard of \"YDS\".  Never heard it mentioned, never seen a clip of it (I know, all the tapes were probably destroyed), etc.

Is *any* television show that big a deal?

It's obvious that Beverly has a certain fondness for \"YDS!\"--and I don't blame him, because it was a pleasant way to spend a mid-afternoon half-hour.  Even if the game had a certain resemblance to \"Password,\" it was still its own show, it played fast and Tom Kennedy was a consummate professional as host, as he was in everything he did.  If you liked game shows, you definitely liked this show.  If you didn't, you didn't.  Whether it was the keystone of the NBC daytime lineup, I'll let those who've done ratings analysis decide.

Now with thirty years' hindsight, we'd find the set a little blah (although much more attractive than those cardboard New York sets, Bill Bohnert's \"Password\" set excepted) and the music cornball (although I always liked the piano chord from Rex Khoury accompanying the turning over of the Bonus Board trilon instead of the standard bell), but the game itself is still a good game and worthy of a revival (although we'd be getting into the same celeb problems that \"Pyramid\" has right now).

whampyl03

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 03:44:12 PM »
Hmm. Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery Interesting.  Well really, in retrospect, what can you expect from a media person?  They will cheat, and lie, and cut every corner to make an appealing story.  And obviously, the rule isn't exempt for the professor.  At least give the credit where the credit is due.  

Slight jump off topic:  Adam, you web-master a good website.  Keep up the splendid work.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 03:44:59 PM by whampyl03 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 04:14:11 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 12:44 PM\'] Hmm. Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery Interesting.  Well really, in retrospect, what can you expect from a media person?  They will cheat, and lie, and cut every corner to make an appealing story. [/quote]
As a former media person, I resent this statement a great deal.

A RESPONSIBLE journalist does the legwork and investigation necessary to FIND an appealing story. The problem is that this often takes some work, and sometimes takes a LOT of work, and some people prefer to take the shortcuts of cheating and lying rather than do work. And you will find that in every industry, not just media.

And obviously, the rule isn't exempt for the professor.

This should tell you why the Perfesser gets the knock he does around here...because despite all of his sanctimonious proselytizing (hey, has \"sanctimonious proselytizing\" ever been a WOF puzzle?) about the \"dirty\" nature of television and how there is no \"wholesome family entertainment\" anymore and all of that rot, he constantly proves that he is just as irresponsible in his own business as the TV producers he constantly complains about are allegedly at theirs.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, eh?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 04:20:53 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CBSJokersWildFan

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 04:24:03 PM »
Well, I read Steve's Tom Kennedy interview.  I thought I had seen some of the pictures that went with it before.  But, I certainly don't hate the guy for inadvertently posting them on his page.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 04:32:57 PM »
But, I certainly don't hate the guy for inadvertently posting them on his page.
Inadvertently?  I wouldn't call it that.  How do you inadvertently steal pictures from another site and use it on yours?

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 04:41:55 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 03:32 PM\']
Inadvertently?  I wouldn't call it that.  How do you inadvertently steal pictures from another site and use it on yours? [/quote]
 You know, I did a images search on Google, but I only got one or two grabs...so much for giving Perfessor benefit of the doubt. :-P

And, whoever made that media crack, I also resent that. I've worked at a news station, and now intern at one of MTV's sister channels, and I don't think I've run into a single reporter that doesn't know about how to tactfully gather stuff for a story. Sorry, no match. (MG 7x buzz)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2003, 04:45:49 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 03:32 PM\']
Inadvertently?  I wouldn't call it that.  How do you inadvertently steal pictures from another site and use it on yours? [/quote]
 I got the wild notion that that was Beverly under an alias. I'll go to the TTD90--wait, make that the What's Going On room now.

Casey Buck

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2003, 04:46:51 PM »
As Mike Klauss used to say, \"You can't spell SB without BS!\"

CBSJokersWildFan

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2003, 04:50:02 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 04:45 PM\']I got the wild notion that that was Beverly under an alias. [/quote]
It's not.  I just happen to be a frequent reader of Professor Beverly's page.  I apologize if I ruffled any feathers here.