Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Most G-T Shows at Once  (Read 12959 times)

uncamark

The Most G-T Shows at Once
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2004, 06:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 10:47 PM\']Broken down by Producer/E.P.:

Frank Wayne: TPIR, NYSI, P, BTC

Ira Skutch: Match Game, Tattletales

Howard Felsher: P, Concentration

Gil Fates: TTTT, WML?

Corrections?
[snapback]64907[/snapback]
[/quote]

I never recall Fates listed as a producer of any type on the 69-78 "TTTT," only Bruno Zirato (and I believe Mimi O'Brien was line producer the last couple of years with Bruno as EP)--and he was only listed as a producer on syndie "WML?"--never as EP.

zachhoran

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2004, 06:49:17 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 29 2004, 06:14 PM\']
I never recall Fates listed as a producer of any type on the 69-78 "TTTT," only Bruno Zirato (and I believe Mimi O'Brien was line producer the last couple of years with Bruno as EP)--and he was only listed as a producer on syndie "WML?"--never as EP.
[snapback]65306[/snapback]
[/quote]

Fates was listed as an EP on the 1980-81 TTTT; Bruno was working with Sandy Frank on Face the Music around that time.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2004, 10:38:17 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 29 2004, 04:14 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 10:47 PM\']Broken down by Producer/E.P.:

Frank Wayne: TPIR, NYSI, P, BTC

Ira Skutch: Match Game, Tattletales

Howard Felsher: P, Concentration

Gil Fates: TTTT, WML?

Corrections?
[snapback]64907[/snapback]
[/quote]

[snapback]65306[/snapback]
[/quote]
Credits are funny things sometimes. Despite what the credits say, I don't think Chester Feldman set foot on the set or in the booth of P+ but once or twice after January 1979. Likely his position as "creative consultant" was little more than a way to charge his salary against a show. Oh, and he wrote the emcee language that was used throughout the run, albeit in abridged form. Similarly, during his tenure as "creative consultant" on TPIR, Marc Breslow was basically being paid (very handsomely) to stay off the set, as part of a 10-year severance package. At least that's my understanding.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2004, 11:33:27 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 29 2004, 10:38 PM\']... Similarly, during his tenure as "creative consultant" on TPIR, Marc Breslow was basically being paid (very handsomely) to stay off the set, as part of a 10-year severance package. At least that's my understanding.
[/quote]

Hmmm...that had me thinking from the time I read ChrisL!'s TPiR FAQ page a loooong time ago....  Was this Breslow set-ban related to the story where Barker wanted him out due to some dispute about being on-camera more?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 11:34:41 PM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

cmjb13

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2004, 06:35:03 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Nov 29 2004, 11:33 PM\']Was this Breslow set-ban related to the story where Barker wanted him out due to some dispute about being on-camera more?
[snapback]65338[/snapback]
[/quote]
As I understand it, he was shooting Barker in "unflattering" ways which made him look bad (on purpose or not, I don't know). Barker went to Goodson and said something along the lines of it was either him or Breslow, and the choice was obvious.

Breslow was also responsible for those, IMO, horrible IUFB graphics where an item would not be shown full-screen. The rest of the screen would be filled with a blue-like graphic.

Last I heard, he was living in Florida.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

mystery7

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2004, 12:29:01 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 06:35 AM\']Breslow was also responsible for those, IMO, horrible IUFB graphics where an item would not be shown full-screen. The rest of the screen would be filled with a blue-like graphic.
[snapback]65345[/snapback]
[/quote]
Eeegh. Thanks for reminding me of those.  A gray diamond on a black background, pink oval on green...also unflattering, and nauseating sometimes.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2004, 02:15:09 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 06:35 AM\']Breslow was also responsible for those, IMO, horrible IUFB graphics where an item would not be shown full-screen. The rest of the screen would be filled with a blue-like graphic.
[/quote]
Such as the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pictures on this page,:
http://www.tpir.tv/bloopers/2/bloopers2.htm
I assume?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2004, 02:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 12:29 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 06:35 AM\']Breslow was also responsible for those, IMO, horrible IUFB graphics where an item would not be shown full-screen. The rest of the screen would be filled with a blue-like graphic.
[snapback]65345[/snapback]
[/quote]
Eeegh. Thanks for reminding me of those.  A gray diamond on a black background, pink oval on green...also unflattering, and nauseating sometimes.
[snapback]65380[/snapback]
[/quote]

Very much of the times, though, and small compared to the generally high-quality job he did on the G-T shows.  Compared to Richard Kline's overuse of wipes on the B&E shows, it's almost restrained.

BrandonFG

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2004, 03:29:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 02:15 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 06:35 AM\']Breslow was also responsible for those, IMO, horrible IUFB graphics where an item would not be shown full-screen. The rest of the screen would be filled with a blue-like graphic.
[/quote]
Such as the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pictures on this page,:
http://www.tpir.tv/bloopers/2/bloopers2.htm
I assume?
[snapback]65405[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems like it, but don't they still use a graphic similar to that? I think it's a red/yellow/orange border, and inside is a close-up of a colorful TPiR "clamshell", which then opens to reveal the IUFB.

BTW, the oval seems no different than what TJW intro used to do, except the latter used a circle.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 03:29:35 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2004, 06:02:34 PM »
The way Breslow shot Barker is an easy thing to fix and no one would lose their job over it. There were much bigger issues between Barker and Breslow resulting in the latter being taken off the show save for his "creative consultant" stipend and credit.

Whether or not you like the vignette effects he used on prizes, Breslow brought a lot of innovation and creativity to the way TPIR is staged and shot. IMHO the current director is simply following the pattern set by Breslow and is doing an incompetent job of it.

Breslow directed a show in Florida but still lives in California.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 06:05:24 PM by chris319 »

Jamey Greek

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »
In September 1988 G-T had the following

Card Sharks CBS Daytime

Family Feud CBS Daytime and Syndication

The Price is Right CBS Daytime

Classic Concentration NBC Daytime

In April to July 1989 G-T had the following

Classic Concentration

Card Sharks

Now You See It CBS Daytime

The Price is Right

In 1990 G-T had the following

Match Game ABC Daytime

Classic Concentration NBC Daytime

To Tell the Truth NBC Daytime

The Price is Right CBS Daytime

cmjb13

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2004, 06:47:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 06:02 PM\']Breslow brought a lot of innovation and creativity to the way TPIR is staged and shot.[/quote]
Such as...
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2004, 10:58:26 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 04:47 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 06:02 PM\']Breslow brought a lot of innovation and creativity to the way TPIR is staged and shot.[/quote]
Such as...
[snapback]65481[/snapback]
[/quote]
Watch the show some time. Look at the pictures. What you're seeing is 95% Breslow.

zachhoran

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2004, 11:37:55 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 10:58 PM\']
Watch the show some time. Look at the pictures. What you're seeing is 95% Breslow.
[snapback]65544[/snapback]
[/quote]

Two Breslow innovations that are noticeably absent these days: The SCSD shot of the contestant superimposed inside the pointer of the Big WHeel, and the extreme close up of the readout flashing the Showcase winner's grand total during the end credits.

SplitSecond

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2004, 12:02:34 AM »
One thing I miss from the Breslow days is the shot sequence he would frequently use when Bob would ask Johnny to call a new contestant - closeup of Bob, dissolve to a shot pushing in on the audience, dissolve to the standard pan of the audience.  It's a subtle thing, but more than just covering the awkward stage wait between Bob tossing to Johnny and Johnny finally getting around to saying the name, it also gives the visual perception that we're all actually going into the audience to help find that contestant.

But think about this: other than some minor technological changes, the way the show's opening is shot hasn't changed in almost 30 years.  That's a major credit to Marc Breslow as a director.