Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Password  (Read 9575 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Super Password
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 08:04:52 PM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 05:54 PM\']The reason i took out that force restart was due to requests for it a long time ago.  This was because of people being upset about it.
[snapback]65837[/snapback]
[/quote]
So you're saying that you took out a part of the installation process, intentionally introducing support issues, because a few people complained about having to restart their systems?

Wow. Your choice, of course, but....wow.

Personally, I'd rather have a working product and have to tell users why the restart is necessary than have a broken one and have to tell users why my installer sucks. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 08:06:45 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CarShark

Super Password
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 09:37:39 PM »
Um...wouldn't it be better if instead of restarting the computer right away, there was a prompt where users could choose? That way if they are working with something else they could finish without losing their work.

clemon79

Super Password
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 10:06:16 PM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 07:37 PM\']Um...wouldn't it be better if instead of restarting the computer right away, there was a prompt where users could choose? That way if they are working with something else they could finish without losing their work.
[snapback]65862[/snapback]
[/quote]
That was my initial point. We agree (hey, we agree!), the best option would be to have a prompt informing the user that they need to reboot their system before playing the game, and then, if the technology allows it, have Reboot Now or Reboot Later buttons available, so they can either do it immediately or at their leisure. But they should know immediately, they shouldn't have to find out by contacting support, that's just shoddy design.

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 10:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 10:06 PM\'][quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 07:37 PM\']Um...wouldn't it be better if instead of restarting the computer right away, there was a prompt where users could choose? That way if they are working with something else they could finish without losing their work.
[snapback]65862[/snapback]
[/quote]
That was my initial point. We agree (hey, we agree!), the best option would be to have a prompt informing the user that they need to reboot their system before playing the game, and then, if the technology allows it, have Reboot Now or Reboot Later buttons available, so they can either do it immediately or at their leisure. But they should know immediately, they shouldn't have to find out by contacting support, that's just shoddy design.
[snapback]65870[/snapback]
[/quote]

what's shoddy is just your negative attitude and demeaning opnions towards me all the time.  I will see, but honestly, 2 out of about 4000 people need the restart, so odds apparently indicate people are restarting or dont need to... the option can be easily added

CarShark

Super Password
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 11:03:56 PM »
Pleeeeeeeease don't start this again. A prompt would be nice, and virtually eliminate the problem (which apparently isn't that big). I just hope that when the board comes back up, that the FAQ's are still there.

clemon79

Super Password
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 01:11:09 AM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 08:55 PM\']what's shoddy is just your negative attitude and demeaning opnions towards me all the time.  I will see, but honestly, 2 out of about 4000 people need the restart, so odds apparently indicate people are restarting or dont need to... the option can be easily added
[snapback]65880[/snapback]
[/quote]
*sigh* All you're doing is proving my original point, Jon. I already said it was your choice to make, and to be perfectly honest I really couldn't care less either way what decision you make.

Chapter and verse.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 01:12:15 AM by clemon79 »

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Super Password
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 05:41:24 AM »
I had re-downloaded this thing, restarted, problem solved.

didn't mind having to do the restart anyway, it was only a college term paper I had to finish.

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 10:13:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 05:41 AM\']I had re-downloaded this thing, restarted, problem solved.

didn't mind having to do the restart anyway, it was only a college term paper I had to finish.
[snapback]65918[/snapback]
[/quote]

Glad things are working fine for ya... See my FAQ's did help.  

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 01:11 AM\'][quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 08:55 PM\']what's shoddy is just your negative attitude and demeaning opnions towards me all the time.  I will see, but honestly, 2 out of about 4000 people need the restart, so odds apparently indicate people are restarting or dont need to... the option can be easily added
[snapback]65880[/snapback]
[/quote]
*sigh* All you're doing is proving my original point, Jon. I already said it was your choice to make, and to be perfectly honest I really couldn't care less either way what decision you make.

Chapter and verse.
[snapback]65904[/snapback]
[/quote]

Clemon what was your original point, just curious, i dont mind helping people at all, u just seem to always sneak in some derrogatory statement along with it.  And i could also careless what you speak as well.  Chapter, verse & Testament

But as with the last, i am through with this thread, both threads were fine until clemon spoke and as usual everything goes downhill from there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 10:16:29 AM by BigJon06 »

dzinkin

Super Password
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 10:43:27 AM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 10:13 AM\']Clemon what was your original point, just curious, i dont mind helping people at all, u just seem to always sneak in some derrogatory statement along with it.  And i could also careless what you speak as well.  Chapter, verse & Testament
[snapback]65940[/snapback]
[/quote]
Chris's point, if I am understanding him correctly, is that your primary concern seems to be getting as much adulation as possible for as little effort as possible, instead of making the best effort possible to put out the best game possible.  I have never played your games, as I use a Mac and haven't bothered to try installing the games in Virtual PC to see how well they work; therefore, I have no comment whatsoever on the quality of your games per se.  However, the fact that you appear to have made little to no effort to find a new message board host, and are instead using this forum as your personal game support board -- despite the fact that this is not a tech support forum and was never intended to be one -- lends credence to the claim that what your primary objective is adulation.

But as with the last, i am through with this thread, both threads were fine until clemon spoke and as usual everything goes downhill from there.
No, Jon, it was fine until you decided to use the Game Show Forum as the Church of BigJon instead of finding a replacement for your current message board host.

Unlike some here, I have no problem at all with the fact that you announce your games, and some discussion of your games is fine; they are on topic in a game show forum, after all.  Moreover, I know that there are many people who enjoy your games, and efforts to keep the classics alive in playable form are certainly welcome.  But if you can't handle criticism, I strongly suggest that you find a new place to host your tech support forum; then you can decide what is appropriate to discuss and what is not, instead of constantly engaging in urinating matches with people who criticize your games.  And yes, it takes at least two people to have a urinating match, but you have no business complaining when you ask for comments and people, well, give their comments.

If the IMs I have received over the past few nights are any indication, you would do well to find a new message board host, and quickly.  This has gone far enough -- on all sides.

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 11:09:38 AM »
(Massive overquoting deleted. -DZ)

Actually i am not, i didnt originally start a tech difficulties thread here, people replyied to a screenshot i originally posted with a bug error, i've been e-mailing people back and forth to keep this of of here and save it for much better things.  And i have been looking for other host, but i myself, along with the other 4000 users who use the same host i have have lots of data that we need to obtain, and being that even their main site is down, and their e-mails are bouncing back makes it very difficult.  I have already obtained an alternate forum, but am awaiting ftp access to export my data out and import it to the new locations.  No my concern was never to expect tons of gratitude for little effort, (i never put little effort into my games, my earlier ones i was still learning the language and aspects of it)  and never have i said that yet... words are constantly being put into my mouth about that.   Criticisim is fine, but on an old topics that suggestions were taken into consideration and worked out, especially those that are years old, i mean, at what point do you let go? With all positives come negative, but for someone to constantly criticize an old aspect of the game that no longer exists and is unwilling to even look at the current situation doesnt seem appropriate to me.

But asides from that, i am not initiating a tech support forum here, u can simply see the first thread in this forum was suggestions, and the other was my screenshots.

I wasnt trying to show the location until i could obtain the data, but the alternate forum i was setting up was here.  And the host of my original forum was www.phpbbhost1.info which you can see at this time is down.  
BigJon's Alt. Forum
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:16:32 AM by BigJon06 »

dzinkin

Super Password
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 11:20:59 AM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 11:09 AM\']And i have been looking for other host, but i myself, along with the other 4000 users who use the same host i have have lots of data that we need to obtain, and being that even their main site is down, and their e-mails are bouncing back makes it very difficult.  I have already obtained an alternate forum, but am awaiting ftp access to export my data out and import it to the new locations.
[snapback]65942[/snapback]
[/quote]
What's stopping you from taking the current technical discussion to the new forum, and importing the old data later if and when you get access to it?

Criticisim is fine, but on an old topics that suggestions were taken into consideration and worked out, especially those that are years old, i mean, at what point do you let go? With all positives come negative, but for someone to constantly criticize an old aspect of the game that no longer exists and is unwilling to even look at the current situation doesnt seem appropriate to me.
Inserting a prompt to restart was not an old issue, it was a new issue -- by your own admission, you took out the restart because a few people complained.

That notwithstanding, my point is remains the same: by posting something to a discussion board, you are inviting discussion.  If you don't like the tone of the discussion, and the discussion does not violate the rules of the board (and so far, it has not), it is up to you to set up a board where you make the rules.  The fact that you cannot (yet?) import old discussions is not an excuse.

And please stop overquoting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:23:41 AM by dzinkin »

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 11:28:43 AM »
Sorry about that, i wasn't initially referring to that issue solely, but another from a previous discussion. For the forum I just would like to have my old user accounts so their information will be handy and i can send e-mails to them when neccesary, to prevent duplication of accounts again, and a possible loss of data in the future.
However I'll end this now, i didn't intend for a post about my games to escalate to this extreme.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:29:10 AM by BigJon06 »

dzinkin

Super Password
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 11:33:52 AM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 11:28 AM\']Sorry about that, i wasn't initially referring to that issue solely, but another from a previous discussion. For the forum I just would like to have my old user accounts so their information will be handy and i can send e-mails to them when neccesary, to prevent duplication of accounts again, and a possible loss of data in the future.
[snapback]65944[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's a fair point -- you don't want to duplicate work.  I might point out, though, that all accounts had to be recreated when we moved from ezBoard to here, and somehow we managed to survive. :-)  And if you want the email list because you're worried that people won't know where to find the new forum, I think I can safely speak for Matt and Chris as well as myself -- we would have no problem with you announcing it here.

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2004, 02:29:12 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 11:33 AM\'][quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 11:28 AM\']Sorry about that, i wasn't initially referring to that issue solely, but another from a previous discussion. For the forum I just would like to have my old user accounts so their information will be handy and i can send e-mails to them when neccesary, to prevent duplication of accounts again, and a possible loss of data in the future.
[snapback]65944[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's a fair point -- you don't want to duplicate work.  I might point out, though, that all accounts had to be recreated when we moved from ezBoard to here, and somehow we managed to survive. :-)  And if you want the email list because you're worried that people won't know where to find the new forum, I think I can safely speak for Matt and Chris as well as myself -- we would have no problem with you announcing it here.
[snapback]65945[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks man, i certainly appreciate that...