Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I will try to BEAT THE BLOCK!  (Read 2688 times)

Sonic Whammy

I will try to BEAT THE BLOCK!
« on: November 22, 2004, 12:04:13 AM »
I just received the confirmation this weekend.

This Tuesday morning at 7:30AM EST, I have been chosen by 95.5 WPLJ New York, I have been chosen as the next contestant to try and BEAT THE BLOCK.

Back when I first reported about it, Jason Block was proving his knowledge once again, this time on the airwaves. Since I last reported, he has gone to an undefeated 8-0. Now it's my turn to try and take him out...

At stake: $900 and a trip for 2 to Mango Bay Resorts in Barbados.

This is my first real chance to prove myself in the game show arena, even if it's on the radio. Wish me luck... I want to do my best and win.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 12:24:34 AM »
Does this station stream? If so, I imagine we'd all like to check it out.

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:28:18 AM »
Good luck! I hope you can win it!

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

rigsby

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 07:32:56 AM »
I don't think 'PLJ streams, sorry.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 07:33:12 AM by rigsby »

Timsterino

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 07:44:22 AM »
I wish I could hear this. Good luck to you! Jason is tough competition.

Tim :-)

Shredder

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 06:27:09 PM »
Does this station stream? If so, I imagine we'd all like to check it out. >>>

It used to, but sadly thanks to ABC Headquarters, it no longer does.  

Beat the Block, isn't as entertaining as the original segment, Beat the Brucer.  Listening to Brucer whoop the contestants each week was like reliving the Win Ben Steins Money experience with Ben reining Supreme.

But if anyone wants to hear it, I record it daily, as I have no reason to get up at 6AM each morning to listen live.  I can upload a small AVI of it...

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 06:58:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 06:27 PM\']But if anyone wants to hear it, I record it daily, as I have no reason to get up at 6AM each morning to listen live.  I can upload a small AVI of it...[/quote]If it's a radio station, why would you create an AVI?  A sound file, like MP3 or WAV, would be much smaller in size.

Shredder

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:38:50 PM »
Forgot about MP3's.  I just recently discovered the joy of MP3 Space saving, so I didn't think about it..  Consider it done.

As to why I mention AVI's..... I record some of the best comedy bits through AVI for safe keeping and encode them to DVD later.  Now that I've discovered the space saving option of MP3's, I may go back and convert them all to MP3DVD's...

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 07:44:47 PM »
If you could record it, Shredder, that would be great. Like I said, I first mentioned it here at the boards when he started it up because I know we all like to know what members of the circle are up to these days. And since most of you won't be listening for me...

Just kidding.

But seriously, this is one of those few times when two of us get to square off in a public forum (save for the fact that only one of us can win the prize), so if you're able, please find a way to share it. (I would, but I don't know how to transfer the audio.)

Wish me luck, guys!
Brian Sapinski

goongas

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 08:31:19 AM »
Good showing Brian.  You had Jason on the ropes.  (Jason defeated Brian 10-8, but Brian could have won the game if he had known the question about Maya Angelou).

Brian, how did you get to be picked for the show?

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:02:23 PM »
Ah, drat. Nice try, man. Does the pot rise to $1000 now?

Shredder

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 02:45:01 PM »
It's up!

http://www.ninjaturtlesnetwork.com/menu/PLJ.mp3

It'll be up for a week.  And it's 4MB's in size

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »
To answer everyone's questions...

First up, my mom, my sister and my friend Robert have all said that I should NOT have missed the curling question. I had my answer and the right one rattling around in my head, and Ireland screamed out first and loudest, so I went with it. Robert and my sister have now sent in e-mails of their own to try and get revenge for me on a later day.

Second up, if you're in the NY tri-state area, and would like a take a crack at Jason yourself for a now $1000 (and growing, who knows) cash pot and that trip to Barbados, send your request to bigshow@plj.com. In your request, use "Cuckoo Clock" as your subject (which is weird because last week, they said to mention Beat The Block, the name of the game). Include your name, phone number and address, among the usual banter about yourself, your game show experience, and why you feel you can beat him. If you're chosen at any time, they'll contact you.

(Again, tri-state residents only, please.)

Last up, and this is to Shredder, I have saved the mp3, and as I said on the air, I'm transcribing the game for my site. If it's all right with you, at random periods, I want to put that mp3 up on my site. E-mail me and let me know.

All I'll say is this. It was a great experience. My first media-broadcast game show exposure, and I was very happy with it, even though I didn't win. I hope we get to face off again one day in some other realm. (Keep sending in your thoughts, too. It's great to see when all of us meet head to head like this.)

All right, that's it for now. And I will see you all again soon.
Brian Sapinski