Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR  (Read 12728 times)

Ian Wallis

Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2004, 08:54:38 AM »
I agree with Jimmy re the board.  There was just something about it that wasn't very appealing.  The second season board was definately better, though.  Also, whenever a contestant hit a square, that square would appear in the middle of the board - but still too small and too quick to really be noticed.  I'd have stuck to the closeups that they used on the CBS days.  

Oh...and maybe "eggcrate" displays...I always liked them!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ITSBRY

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2004, 11:53:43 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 11:01 PM\']
How convenient that you forgot the entire first round, Mark.

I rather enjoyed the chicken element, along with the Big Bank, and a few other things.  Yeah; I would like to see a few minor things 'fixed,' but I think by-and-large it was a good program.  Good enough to return outside of GSN?  I dunno.
[snapback]64715[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yip!  My thoughts exactly.  The new round one and the BIG BANK were a very cool way to freshen the game without changing it completely and little things like "Bill" were an amusing update to the animation segments and a pretty cool idea that I'm surprised the original show didn't think of.

The second season fixed most of the problems I had with the show.  Had it gone on, I have no doubt that Mandel would have pushed for more tweaks to make a better game.  The only enduring flaw IMO was that the audience was just too noisy and distracting.  The original game seemed more exciting when it was just player vs. board.  The audience noise was usually hushed during the spins.  Sort of the opposite problem "Pyramid" had.  The WC round was too quiet!

I'm sure Mark is probably referring to the Double Whammy.  People may see this as a flaw, but it didn't bother me.  It may have been a bit over utilized (thanks to the focus groups), but I thought it was kinda fun.  Goofy concept yes, but not a deal breaker for me.  The show has always had a "kiddish" element to it anyway.  This was just taking it a step further.  Heck, the next incarnation will probably include a 'death by whammy' element. :)

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

cmjb13

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2004, 12:34:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 11:53 AM\']and little things like "Bill" were an amusing update to the animation segments and a pretty cool idea that I'm surprised the original show didn't think of.[/quote]
Well, they thought of Tammy Whamette.

The only enduring flaw IMO was that the audience was just too noisy and distracting
Are you sure we are talking about the same show? This show had some of the worst audience participation I've ever seen. Have you ever seen the look on the audience members faces? They look like they didn't want to be there. Not to mention how small it was.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 12:34:51 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2004, 08:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 12:34 PM\']Well, they thought of Tammy Whamette.
[/quote]
And Fang. Seriously, the major problem I had with the whammies was that most of them were entirely too long. Sure, they became the most popular element of PYL during its run, but most of the original animations were short and sweet and didn't slow the flow of the game, which Whammy!'s whammies did.
Are you sure we are talking about the same show? This show had some of the worst audience participation I've ever seen. Have you ever seen the look on the audience members faces? They look like they didn't want to be there. Not to mention how small it was.
[snapback]64750[/snapback]
Whammy, IMO, had more audience sweetening than any other game show I've ever seen, which lent to the whole "forced" feeling of the show.

Tyshaun

Don Howard

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2004, 10:35:31 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 06:58 PM\']Dan Rather will get the hour all to himself when Bob retires :)
[snapback]64685[/snapback]
[/quote]
Seeing how Dan's leaving his anchor job, perhaps Dan can take over for Bob. Can you imagine the quotations that'd fly out of his mouth during the various pricing games?

dale_grass

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2004, 10:41:17 PM »
"Whoo, Nelly!  The price of that peanut brittle is lower than dust mite dung on an ant's tennis shoe.  After two pricing games, CBS is declaring Marsha the winner of the Showcase Showdown."

JMFabiano

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2004, 11:30:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 08:00 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 12:34 PM\']Well, they thought of Tammy Whamette.
[/quote]
And Fang. Seriously, the major problem I had with the whammies was that most of them were entirely too long. Sure, they became the most popular element of PYL during its run, but most of the original animations were short and sweet and didn't slow the flow of the game, which Whammy!'s whammies did.

[/quote]

And what's more, for the most part, unlike in the original the whammies NEVER lost.  Meaning the charm of the PYL animations partially came from seeing how the Whammy would kill himself this time.  The W! animations had very few whammy humiliation scenes.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.