Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR  (Read 12733 times)

inturnaround

Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2004, 04:58:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 05:38 AM\']Nobody's idea is bad. They are just different. If you want bad ideas then go watch UPN. ;-)

[snapback]64555[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, can't judge...all ideas are valid? Nah..suggesting that a show that didn't work on cable would work on a network is a bad idea.

Ya gotta call them as you see them.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

JMFabiano

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 07:04:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 04:06 AM\'][quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 09:14 PM\']Now that would be Cool!
[/quote]
Right; because we have to make it hip 4 da--oh, screw it.  Seriously; did someone feed a bottle of stupid pills to the group?
[snapback]64554[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh...my...god....someone remember THAT catchphrase?!!?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2004, 09:01:45 AM »
Of course, CBS could just go back to reruns of "The Beverly Hillbillies".

Naahh..."I Love Lucy" would probably get better ratings :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

joshg

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2004, 09:42:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 06:01 AM\']
Of course, CBS could just go back to reruns of "The Beverly Hillbillies".

Naahh..."I Love Lucy" would probably get better ratings :)
[snapback]64566[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nope... "Square Pegs" and "The Famous Teddy Z" repeats.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 09:51:34 AM »
Ian, that idea is not too far fetched.  Around 1999 or so, our local CBS affil, had some syndicated show at 9am that ended in mid-season, so the station plugged in "ILL" and "Andy Griffith" b&w reruns as a stop gap that turned out to run the balance of one season and into another.  It would be easy for CBS to go to the vaults and run these classic shows on the full network with a retro feel.  It would be just like the CBS daytime sked of the '60's.  BTW, be sure to watch the NBC presentation of the 1947 "Miracle on 34th Street" with John Payne and Natalie Wood on Thanksgiving day at 2 eastern in glorious black and white.  Everything old is new again.  But it has to be reeeely old to be hip.  Having said all that, if "Whammy" were to reappear on CBS, I would think it would be new production, with the mistakes of the GSN version corrected, rather than reruns of a cable show on the Tiffany network.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2004, 10:28:49 AM »
Ian, that idea is not too far fetched. Around 1999 or so, our local CBS affil, had some syndicated show at 9am that ended in mid-season, so the station plugged in "ILL" and "Andy Griffith" b&w reruns as a stop gap that turned out to run the balance of one season and into another.

That begs another question then:  since those shows have long been syndicated, how hard would it be if CBS wanted to pick up reruns again?  I know that they aired some "classic" "All in the Family" episodes in prime time about 10 years ago, but I wonder what the logistics are of running repeats of something that local stations also have rights to.

"I Love Lucy" and "Andy Griffith" are two that puzzle me:  they're both on TVLand, *and* on local stations.  It used to be that once something went on a national cable channel, it disappeared from local stations.

Lucille Ball was a frequent player on "Password Plus" in the late '70s.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2004, 10:36:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 02:27 PM\']
You might as well show Daisy! The All New Give-N-Take!
[snapback]64459[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, I hear that Pat Finn is rehearsing for "Definitions...The All New Joker's Wild" which is to be paired up with "Rappin...The All New Tic Tac Dough" with Snoop Patrick Wayne.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2004, 10:42:28 AM »
I think the answer is demand.  Local stations want the shows, Viacom controls the shows and everyone is okay that the shows also run on cable.  Dual revenue stream for Viacom.

tvwxman

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2004, 11:31:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 09:51 AM\']  Having said all that, if "Whammy" were to reappear on CBS, I would think it would be new production, with the mistakes of the GSN version corrected, rather than reruns of a cable show on the Tiffany network.
[snapback]64569[/snapback]
[/quote]

THIS is a problem.

Says you,  that the "GSN Version" had mistakes.

Says the producers, the programmers, and the staff of "Whammy!", that the show was fine.

And since THEY got a show on the air, and you didn't, what would stop a new version from being as retched as the current incarnation? It's their idea for a show, not yours.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2004, 11:37:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 02:38 AM\']In the end we all sit here in our underwear attempting to play Network Executive.
[snapback]64555[/snapback]
[/quote]
Speak for yourself. I'm naked.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2004, 11:40:29 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 12:35 AM\']no more suggestions of any kind from this apparently clueless misfit whose efforts to bring his own brand of relevance to this group are now prove about as welcome as my 1990 plea to the CBS station I left behind to move here to pick up a couple of non-game syndies me and the entire market was missing then.  So long for now...
[snapback]64548[/snapback]
[/quote]

Waah.

The over/under on when he comes crawling back is officially set at 6:00P PDT. As usual, I am accepting all action, with a 5% rake on all payouts.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2004, 11:45:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 09:51 AM\']Ian, that idea is not too far fetched.  Around 1999 or so, our local CBS affil, had some syndicated show at 9am that ended in mid-season, so the station plugged in "ILL" and "Andy Griffith" b&w reruns as a stop gap that turned out to run the balance of one season and into another.  It would be easy for CBS to go to the vaults and run these classic shows on the full network with a retro feel.  It would be just like the CBS daytime sked of the '60's.  BTW, be sure to watch the NBC presentation of the 1947 "Miracle on 34th Street" with John Payne and Natalie Wood on Thanksgiving day at 2 eastern in glorious black and white.  Everything old is new again.  But it has to be reeeely old to be hip.  Having said all that, if "Whammy" were to reappear on CBS, I would think it would be new production, with the mistakes of the GSN version corrected, rather than reruns of a cable show on the Tiffany network.
[/quote]

Getting way OT...

Speaking of everything old being new again, one of our local stations, WPIX 11 (aka WB11) is showing a block of '70s sitcoms on Saturday prime time.  On WPIX's website, they have a page for this block that even uses the "11 Alive" logo from the '70s and has an online version of "TV PIXXX" (also called "TV POW" elsewhere, remember that?)  They've also brought back the Yule Log since 2001 on Christmas Day, and a few years back did a retrospective on a pretty famous NY kids' show, The Magic Garden.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2004, 11:58:45 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 11:31 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 09:51 AM\']  Having said all that, if "Whammy" were to reappear on CBS, I would think it would be new production, with the mistakes of the GSN version corrected, rather than reruns of a cable show on the Tiffany network.
[/quote]

THIS is a problem.

Says you,  that the "GSN Version" had mistakes.

Says the producers, the programmers, and the staff of "Whammy!", that the show was fine.

And since THEY got a show on the air, and you didn't, what would stop a new version from being as retched as the current incarnation? It's their idea for a show, not yours.
[snapback]64576[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sometimes, you gotta tell the emperor that he has no clothes.

dzinkin

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2004, 12:08:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 11:37 AM\']Speak for yourself. I'm naked.
[snapback]64579[/snapback]
[/quote]
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 11:58 AM\']Sometimes, you gotta tell the emperor that he has no clothes.
[snapback]64582[/snapback]
[/quote]
All we need is for Connecti-Matt to tell us how he watches Jeopardy! and I will be officially sick to my stomach. :-)

J.R.

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2004, 07:23:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 11:40 AM\']Waah.

The over/under on when he comes crawling back is officially set at 6:00P PDT. As usual, I am accepting all action, with a 5% rake on all payouts.
[snapback]64580[/snapback]
[/quote]

Put me down for 5,000,000 Turkish Lira that he'll be back.

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 07:24:37 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor