Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR  (Read 12730 times)

Don Howard

Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 08:55:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 02:27 PM\']You might as well show Daisy! The All New Give-N-Take!
[snapback]64459[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, Jim Lange is available.
Or would they have Blake Emmons host to hook in those younger viewers?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 08:58:42 PM by Don Howard »

Skynet74

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »
Serious Idea. If The Price Is Right ever had to be replaced.. I would love to see a revival of two game shows replace it. Match Game at 11 and Password Plus at 11:30. That would be kind of cool. Of course it most likely won't happen. However it would be Great! That's as long as they kept the programs true to their orginal form. Tom Bergeron as Host of Match Game and Peter Tomarken as host of Password Plus. Now that would be Cool!

John

Tim L

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 09:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 09:14 PM\']Serious Idea. If The Price Is Right ever had to be replaced.. I would love to see a revival of two game shows replace it. Match Game at 11 and Password Plus at 11:30. That would be kind of cool. Of course it most likely won't happen. However it would be Great! That's as long as they kept the programs true to their orginal form. Tom Bergeron as Host of Match Game and Peter Tomarken as host of Password Plus. Now that would be Cool!

John
[snapback]64499[/snapback]
[/quote]

My Reaction to the above is about the same as my reaction to the original poster's idea..er..No Way

Tim Lones

OntarioQuizzer

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 09:45:55 PM »
I just try to enjoy what we have now and try not to worry about what might happen in the future.

inturnaround

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 09:47:47 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 07:03 PM\']I'd lean more towards CBS giving the 11 AM hour back to the affiliates if the show is shelved after Bob leaves. Whatever they put in there will more likely than not tank.
[snapback]64483[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not as pessimistic about that and I don't think CBS wants to hand the hour back to the affiliates. Of course, we've had this discussion how many times over the past few years?

I don't see what could be lost in giving a new host a chance. If it tanks, you have had that much more time to develop a replacement show or strategy for the hour. If it doesn't, you could be looking at another hour you don't have to worry about during daytime...and you have rescued the hour from the affiliates...because once you give it to them, they don't like giving it back.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

JMFabiano

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2004, 10:14:37 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 03:02 PM\']
You might as well show Daisy! The All New Give-N-Take!
[snapback]64459[/snapback]
No.

Per Steve Beverly, it's "Plinko!, The All-New Price is Right"

Whammy! sucks. Period.
[snapback]64465[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far...I'd stop with "Whammy! was lower budget and couldn't match the original PYL, but that's a tall order."  And that's about it.  At the same time I feel grateful that they didn't do anything like, if you wanted to pass your spins, you had to use one of your "Spin Chips" and correctly predict a wacky dilemma video's outcome.  Kind of like the current FF...the basic premise is there but not the same as its glory days.  Still, not bad enough to earn the dreaded *INO suffix.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 11:00:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 07:14 PM\']Serious Idea.
Peter Tomarken as host of Password Plus. Now that would be Cool!
[snapback]64499[/snapback]
[/quote]
Peter Tomarken would be about the worst Password host I could possibly think of.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2004, 11:03:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 12:00 AM\']Peter Tomarken would be about the worst Password host I could possibly think of.
[snapback]64533[/snapback]
[/quote]

Anna Nicole Smith? Courtney Love? Ron Artest?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 11:06:27 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 11:03 PM\']Anna Nicole Smith? Courtney Love? Ron Artest?
[snapback]64534[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ron Artest would be a great host of Password!  The contestant doesn't like a ruling, throws his cup of water at Artest, and a melee ensues.

"It's more than 'Password..........it's 'Full Contact Password'!"
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 11:06:44 PM by aaron sica »

tjhornikel

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 11:31:24 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 11:03 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 12:00 AM\']Peter Tomarken would be about the worst Password host I could possibly think of.
[snapback]64533[/snapback]
[/quote]

Anna Nicole Smith? Courtney Love? Ron Artest?
[snapback]64534[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ron Artest was to host "WHAT THE BLANK", but the show was suspended for the rest of the season.

Tom Hornikel

Net Blank Check Question du Jour:

Regarding their star player, Indiana Pacers have asked police to "Not Arrest."  Name this bad boy superstar.
Tom Hornikel

I did NOT push Jim Peck. I just encouraged gravity.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 12:26:21 AM »
Kids, how many times have we discussed the economics of this? The premise of the thread is faulty because CBS will likely keep TPIR after Barker is gone. They'll save jillions of dollars on Barker's salary (the new emcee will make far less) and they'll save zillions of dollars in production costs by going back to a six-show-per-week taping schedule. This will be a windfall for Fremantle and CBS. The lower production costs will cushion any revenue loss due to a dip in the ratings.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 12:27:33 AM by chris319 »

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2004, 02:35:05 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 12:26 AM\']
Kids, how many times have we discussed the economics of this? The premise of the thread is faulty because CBS will likely keep TPIR after Barker is gone. They'll save jillions of dollars on Barker's salary (the new emcee will make far less) and they'll save zillions of dollars in production costs by going back to a six-show-per-week taping schedule. This will be a windfall for Fremantle and CBS. The lower production costs will cushion any revenue loss due to a dip in the ratings.

Okay people, okay.  In the course of one short day and some 25-odd responses to what I felt was a legitimate idea, many of you have succeeded in prompting mental flashbacks to when I was just 13 and getting it from all sides in and out of Junior High because everyone else allegedly knew tons more than I did did about practically anything that was supposed to matter.  

I simply felt that if CBS bought "Whammy!" for the morning, it would work as another revival of a once-proven property that did reasonably well for that network, as well as bringng it to the masses who don't get GSN because their systems don't carry it or they won't spring for digital cable.  But if Chris says TPIR with a new host after Bob leaves is the safest bet, since he was willing to spell out the whole scenario, I believe him.  No CBS adaptation of "Whammy!", no "Seven Keys/Spin-Off Hour" (though it should still be considered by someone else), no "Eye Guess/Three On A Match Hour" that would utilize a 9-monitor board that would later have another row of three set on top for the "Match" portion, no more suggestions of any kind from this apparently clueless misfit whose efforts to bring his own brand of relevance to this group are now prove about as welcome as my 1990 plea to the CBS station I left behind to move here to pick up a couple of non-game syndies me and the entire market was missing then.  So long for now...
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

J.R.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2004, 03:23:59 AM »
Of course, CBS could just go back to reruns of "The Beverly Hillbillies".

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2004, 04:06:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 09:14 PM\']Now that would be Cool!
[/quote]
Right; because we have to make it hip 4 da--oh, screw it.  Seriously; did someone feed a bottle of stupid pills to the group?
[quote name=\'cmjb13\']Whammy! sucks. Period. [/quote]
Yes, it did. But I think Kotex had that line first.
[quote name=\'Djohnsoncb\'] So long for now...[/quote]
If we actually offended you that badly...wow.
[quote name=\'jmfabino\']I wouldn't go that far...I'd stop with "Whammy! was lower budget and couldn't match the original PYL, but that's a tall order."[/quote]
The problem with Whammy was a host who drank 22 cups of Starbucks before the show started.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 04:10:18 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Skynet74

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2004, 04:38:32 AM »
eeewww.... this thread has turned fugly. The most amusing part is that anyone thinks that their ideas are any better than the next guys. In the end we all sit here in our underwear attempting to play Network Executive. Nobody's idea is bad. They are just different. If you want bad ideas then go watch UPN. ;-)

John

either I've just made some friends (or) more people are going to tell me to take my pills.