Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR  (Read 12731 times)

GS Warehouse

Could "Whammy!" replace TPIR
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2004, 08:01:38 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 12:08 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 11:37 AM\']Speak for yourself. I'm naked.
[snapback]64579[/snapback]
[/quote]
All we need is for Connecti-Matt to tell us how he watches Jeopardy! and I will be officially sick to my stomach. :-)
[snapback]64583[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought it was moderator Matt who watches J! in the buff.  Since his $2,000 consolation prize was, after taxes, just enough to cover his expenses for his trip to Culver City, he had to put his wardrobe up on eBay.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2004, 11:27:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 02:35 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 01:27 PM\']I was just thinking that "Whammy!: The All-New Press Your Luck" might be a solid property for CBS to pick up for the TPIR slot, paired with reruns of TPIR from 1972-1975 before it expanded to an hour, if there is no way for the current TPIR to continue after Bob leaves.  What do you others think?
[snapback]64442[/snapback]
[/quote]

I haven't read anything this dumb since....uh, when was AdamJK removed?

Seriously.
[snapback]64460[/snapback]
[/quote]

It coulda been worse.  He could have suggested a return of The Diamond Head Game.

Don Howard

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2004, 05:26:12 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 11:27 PM\']It coulda been worse.  He could have suggested a return of The Diamond Head Game.
[snapback]64627[/snapback]
[/quote]
That would rule!! Put that on before the Give-n-Take remake. Bob Eubanks and Jim Lange back-to-back just like the old days. Begin the petition-signing now.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2004, 10:45:20 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 09:01 PM\']I thought it was moderator Matt who watches J! in the buff.  Since his $2,000 consolation prize was, after taxes, just enough to cover his expenses for his trip to Culver City, he had to put his wardrobe up on eBay.[/quote]
When you've got wonderful friends to stay with (and buy you meals) when you're in town, you see a lot more of that two grand than you might think!  Most of the dough went toward a Trading-Spaces-like, 48-hour renovation of my basement....where I just HAPPEN to watch J! in the buff.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2004, 10:50:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 10:45 AM\']When you've got wonderful friends to stay with (and buy you meals) when you're in town, you see a lot more of that two grand than you might think!  Most of the dough went toward a Trading-Spaces-like, 48-hour renovation of my basement....where I just HAPPEN to watch J! in the buff.
[snapback]64650[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are there any swingers in this basement?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2004, 11:51:46 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 08:50 AM\']Are there any swingers in this basement?
[snapback]64651[/snapback]
[/quote]
I for one do not want to know about ANYTHING swinging while Matt is watching Jeopardy nekkid. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2004, 12:03:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 11:51 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 08:50 AM\']Are there any swingers in this basement?
[snapback]64651[/snapback]
[/quote]
I for one do not want to know about ANYTHING swinging while Matt is watching Jeopardy nekkid. :)
[snapback]64657[/snapback]
[/quote]
Aw, man. I shook his hand twice last summer. Don't tell me this.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2004, 01:33:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 10:03 AM\']Aw, man. I shook his hand twice last summer. Don't tell me this.
[snapback]64660[/snapback]
[/quote]
Was it particularly furry? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ITSBRY

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2004, 01:36:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 22 2004, 11:31 AM\']THIS is a problem.

Says you,  that the "GSN Version" had mistakes.

Says the producers, the programmers, and the staff of "Whammy!", that the show was fine.

And since THEY got a show on the air, and you didn't, what would stop a new version from being as retched as the current incarnation? It's their idea for a show, not yours.
[snapback]64576[/snapback]
[/quote]

In my opinion, W! was the best remake Fremantle's done to date.  It kept the heart of the game and added some fun twists.  It would have been mighty hard to outdo the original...this show being such a cult fave, but they did a damned respectable job.  I think GSN is more at fault for the percieved flaws than anyone.  

I hope it gets a shot in syndication one of these days.  When and if the airwaves are more game friendly and with the right marketing, I think it could do well.  It's a fun no-brainer way to spend half an hour and as the American public has proven time and again, no brainer TV is a winner.

Having said that, I have to agree that W! replacing TPIR on CBS will NEVER happen.  There aren't any games IMO with that kind of appeal and staying power.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:42:23 PM by ITSBRY »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2004, 04:00:29 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 01:36 PM\']In my opinion, W! was the best remake Fremantle's done to date.  It kept the heart of the game and added some fun twists.  It would have been mighty hard to outdo the original...this show being such a cult fave, but they did a damned respectable job.  I think GSN is more at fault for the percieved flaws than anyone. [/quote]
Adding an element that belongs on Nickelodeon isn't a "fun twist", IMNSHO.

I hope it gets a shot in syndication one of these days.  When and if the airwaves are more game friendly and with the right marketing, I think it could do well.  It's a fun no-brainer way to spend half an hour and as the American public has proven time and again, no brainer TV is a winner.
It would tank.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2004, 05:29:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 04:00 PM\']It would tank.
[snapback]64674[/snapback]
[/quote]
As much as these other talk and reality shows are dropping off the radar ("Home Delivery" canned, "Pat Croce" and "Life & Style" soon to follow), I don't see what it would hurt to give a new PYL a shot. But I do agree, they ought to make some needed (IMO) changes. The CBS angle, however, ain't.......gonna......happen.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 05:30:23 PM by tyshaun1 »

dzinkin

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2004, 05:49:55 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 01:36 PM\']In my opinion, W! was the best remake Fremantle's done to date.  It kept the heart of the game and added some fun twists.  It would have been mighty hard to outdo the original...this show being such a cult fave, but they did a damned respectable job.  I think GSN is more at fault for the percieved flaws than anyone. 
[snapback]64670[/snapback]
[/quote]
PYL's status as a cult favorite is itself a problem -- because more than a few of the "cult members" (so to speak) saw any deviations of any sort from the show they remembered as "flaws" by definition.  Sure, it would have been nice if another element or two from the original (for example, returning champions) had been retained -- but despite the claims by some of the more obsessed fans that GSN simply should have reconstructed the show element by element from the CBS days, there was no way that was going to happen, and it's wishful thinking to believe otherwise.  I'm not saying that's what you wanted, but it's part of the problem in assuming that a show that was moderately successful for three years in the mid-80s can be resurrected so easily and that its audience will necessarily follow.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 05:51:00 PM by dzinkin »

zachhoran

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2004, 06:58:13 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 01:36 PM\']

Having said that, I have to agree that W! replacing TPIR on CBS will NEVER happen.  There aren't any games IMO with that kind of appeal and staying power.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
[snapback]64670[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nah, Dan Rather will get the hour all to himself when Bob retires :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2004, 11:01:51 PM »
QUOTE(ITSBRY @ Nov 23 2004, 01:36 PM)
In my opinion, W! was the best remake Fremantle's done to date.  It kept the heart of the game and added some fun twists.  It would have been mighty hard to outdo the original...this show being such a cult fave, but they did a damned respectable job.  I think GSN is more at fault for the percieved flaws than anyone.

QUOTE (Dsmith)
Adding an element that belongs on Nickelodeon isn't a "fun twist", IMNSHO.

How convenient that you forgot the entire first round, Mark.

I rather enjoyed the chicken element, along with the Big Bank, and a few other things.  Yeah; I would like to see a few minor things 'fixed,' but I think by-and-large it was a good program.  Good enough to return outside of GSN?  I dunno.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2004, 11:46:20 PM »
What I would change: No more slime on the contestants and allow them to be seated. Give the Whammies more charm; the primitive animation of PYL was more endearing.  Make the game board more tidy, be it oval or rectangular.  Direct Todd to be less hyperactive.  It probably won't come back, but, to paraphrase Jim Peck, "There's always time for a Second Chance."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.