Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price is Wrong....  (Read 5338 times)

rugrats1

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 11:23:39 PM »
The Budweiser name, because it would be accused of encouraging underage drinking (Remember the video game "Tapper"?).

I remember it, where you have to fill and serve the most mugs of beer in the least amount of time.

To be honest, I think there was a more family-friendly version of Tapper with A&W's (root beer) name on it.

pyl85

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 12:48:54 AM »
To be honest, I think there was a more family-friendly version of Tapper with A&W's (root beer) name on it.

The Atari 2600 version clearly had a "Mountain Dew" sign in the background.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 01:37:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 06:33 PM\']I still say that if they could find some way to program it, an ONline game of Price is Right might be rather fun, with a CGI Bob Barker. 
[/quote]
Lycos Gamesville ran one for a period of time; using actual products, from Amazon; and some other store...while the IUFB's weren't authentic to the show; the pricing games were.

Lycos dropped the game.....although I'm not sure why.  I'm not convinced; however; that a game such as this wouldn't be practical or tactical.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dazztardly

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 01:54:11 PM »
I don't know why these big companies who do the official online version, continiously "drop the ball"... This is one of those games which is a great for product placement, yet the way the game is being presented just isn't hitting home.

For an official pc or home console[ps/2, x-box] version, as long as you have an internet connection I think it would have great potential. It can be a game you can play on a daily basis[one new game a day]. The content could be downloading prior to or during the course of the game. Flash commercials or still-frame ads, can run between each pricing game.

The ad revenue would pay for everything[staff, advertisers, prizes for contests, etc] and still would leave a decent profit for the game developer. I think it would be a real winner for whomever can conquer the task.

-Dan
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:58:24 PM by dazztardly »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 03:03:02 PM »
No game company is going to dedicate that amount of resources to a game that is going to sell 12 copies to a niche market. Bottom line.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pacdude

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2004, 03:49:13 PM »
I dunno. I think that, looking at all the "niche" games that sell extremely well (Wait... a game that makes people dance? I can't believe that'll EVER sell!) and the fact that even the normal public loves TPiR, the game could sell.

tyshaun1

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2004, 06:43:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 03:03 PM\']No game company is going to dedicate that amount of resources to a game that is going to sell 12 copies to a niche market. Bottom line.
[snapback]64217[/snapback]
[/quote]
Chris, you should know: How many copies has Atari sold of WOF and Jeopardy!  for PS2? There must be some reason why those games seem to keep coming out.

Tyshaun

cmjb13

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2004, 06:48:31 PM »
One thing I'm wondering...

Assuming they did produce a TPIR game, would Barker be involved? (Obviously not with all pricing games, but at least some voiceovers)

My hunch says no. Has he had his likeness on any TPIR stuff besides postcards?

Sajak isn't involved with WOF. Not sure if Trebek involved with J!
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 07:12:59 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 06:48 PM\']One thing I'm wondering...

Sajak isn't involved with WOF. Not sure if Trebek involved with J!
[snapback]64317[/snapback]
[/quote]

Vanna does the virtual hosting on the WOF computer games. Trebek does the virtual hosting for most or all of the recent J! computer games.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2004, 08:00:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 04:43 PM\']Chris, you should know: How many copies has Atari sold of WOF and Jeopardy!  for PS2? There must be some reason why those games seem to keep coming out.
[/quote]
I will gently and quietly point out that the very same marketing department brought you the Atari Flashback Classic Gaming Console WITHOUT FREAKIN' COMBAT IN IT, and then ask if you wish to ask that question again. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tyshaun1

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004, 08:57:10 PM »
No Combat? WTF?! No wonder Atari has the reputation it does in our business (witness Enter The Matrix, Driv3l). Question withdrawn. ;)

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 08:59:22 PM by tyshaun1 »

pacdude

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2004, 10:13:52 PM »
Being fair again, the modern age of Jeopardy and WOF was started by Hasbro interactive before it got eaten by Atari, and Hasbro made pretty decent games.