Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price is Wrong....  (Read 5337 times)

aaron sica

The Price is Wrong....
« on: November 14, 2004, 04:08:23 PM »
Just something I'm sitting here thinking.....

Four of the longest-running game shows still in production are WoF, J!, TPiR, and FF. The first three have been on continously since 1975, 1984, and 1972, respectively. J! and TPiR go back even more than that.

WoF, J!, and FF had their first computer game exposure all at the same time, in 1987 (and remember, at the time, FF wasn't even on the air yet). All three of them have had numerous variations over the years, from the 8-bit computer and video game systems to the more powerful machines and systems.

TPiR, however, only ever had one computer game adaptation, which, IMHO, fell far short of anyone's expectations, with the renaming of things (Hole In One became "GOLF", the Showcase Showdown became "SPIN THE WHEEL", for example) especially.

Why do you think TPiR has never tried again with a computer game after that early '90s attempt?

EDIT: I mean commercial TPiR games, of course. I very much enjoy BigJon's version.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 04:09:29 PM by aaron sica »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 04:25:28 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 02:08 PM\']Why do you think TPiR has never tried again with a computer game after that early '90s attempt?
[/quote]
Because it doesn't work.

Actually this came up on the show the other day, the prize I think was a widescreen TV in a game of Double Prices, and it was one of those prizes not provided by the company, so the copy had no information as to a make or model when the astute player asked for it. Which is collossally stupid for a widescreen TV, since the price could fluctuate by $1000 depending on brand. The guy ended up winning it, and good for him, since it was a bald-ass guess on his part.

My point is that without brand names and current price information, TPiR is little more than a blind guessing game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 07:15:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 04:25 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 02:08 PM\']Why do you think TPiR has never tried again with a computer game after that early '90s attempt?
[/quote]
Because it doesn't work.

Actually this came up on the show the other day, the prize I think was a widescreen TV in a game of Double Prices, and it was one of those prizes not provided by the company, so the copy had no information as to a make or model when the astute player asked for it. Which is collossally stupid for a widescreen TV, since the price could fluctuate by $1000 depending on brand. The guy ended up winning it, and good for him, since it was a bald-ass guess on his part.

My point is that without brand names and current price information, TPiR is little more than a blind guessing game.
[snapback]63826[/snapback]
[/quote]

They could have had the contestant or Bob walk over to the TV to see if there was a brand name on it. Bob did fairly recently walk over to one of the small prizes in Cliff Hangers to try to glean a brand name when a contestant asked.

Jay Temple

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 11:22:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:25 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 02:08 PM\']Why do you think TPiR has never tried again with a computer game after that early '90s attempt?
[/quote]
[/quote]
And a dated one at that.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Craig Karlberg

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 04:30:17 AM »
I wonder if licensing issues also may have been a sticking point in not having a viable TPIR computer game out there let alone clearing all those name brands out there.

Also, the ecconomy keeps changing on a perodic basis so prices really don't stay steady for long periods of time(save for a few exceptions).  That's why TPIR isn't feasible in PC form anyway.  BigJohn's version is the ultimate TPIR game so I'll leave it at that.

cmjb13

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 06:53:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 11:22 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:25 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 02:08 PM\']Why do you think TPiR has never tried again with a computer game after that early '90s attempt?
[/quote]
[/quote]
And a dated one at that.
[snapback]63848[/snapback]
[/quote]
With most gaming systems now accessible online, downloading price updates wouldn't be too difficult.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

pyl85

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 11:26:40 AM »
I wonder if licensing issues also may have been a sticking point in not having a viable TPIR computer game out there let alone clearing all those name brands out there.
I can't imagine any company not jumping at the chance to have their product featured in a commercial video game. Product placement is so valuable in TV and movies, why not computer games? Seems to me that a modern TPiR game would be a nice plug for many products.

MYosua

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 11:47:41 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 15 2004, 07:53 AM\']With most gaming systems now accessible online, downloading price updates wouldn't be too difficult.
[snapback]63862[/snapback]
[/quote]
True, but in order for updates to happen, the game would have to sell well enough for the company making it to feel like it's worth it to do.  Plus, I don't imagine they'd still do it a few years after the release to appease the (most likely) few die-hard fans who would still play it.

[quote name=\'pyl85\' date=\'Nov 15 2004, 12:26 PM\']I can't imagine any company not jumping at the chance to have their product featured in a commercial video game. Product placement is so valuable in TV and movies, why not computer games? Seems to me that a modern TPiR game would be a nice plug for many products.
[snapback]63878[/snapback]
[/quote]

There actually is product placement going on in a few computer games now.  For example, Need for Speed: Underground 2 apparently will update sponsors with each patch that EA Games comes out with.  So, you can drive around and see ads for movies that are actually playing in theaters.  I just don't think a company would be willing to do this kind of stuff for TPiR, as cool as it would be.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 11:48:37 AM by MYosua »

clemon79

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 12:48:13 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 15 2004, 04:53 AM\']With most gaming systems now accessible online, downloading price updates wouldn't be too difficult.
[snapback]63862[/snapback]
[/quote]
The technology is there, the market isn't, and you're still not gonna find a publisher who is gonna bother to round up actual brand names for use in a PC game.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 03:35:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 15 2004, 12:48 PM\']The technology is there, the market isn't, and you're still not gonna find a publisher who is gonna bother to round up actual brand names for use in a PC game.
[/quote]
In a game show setting, anyhow.
While not a marketing major; I would think this would be great product placement.  There's no gross misrepresentation to speak of (unless the packager of the game makes it a bomb), and for every person that did buy the game; that's one more potential customer.
It always amazed me when sponsors wouldn't give their consent to appear in auto racing titles--pay a small fee; reach your target audience.  I'm sure that the drivers that are excluded due to this were less than thrilled as well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 04:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 15 2004, 03:35 PM\']It always amazed me when sponsors wouldn't give their consent to appear in auto racing titles--pay a small fee; reach your target audience.  I'm sure that the drivers that are excluded due to this were less than thrilled as well.
[snapback]63889[/snapback]
[/quote]

For one instance of that, I can understand: Dale Jr's car, which instead of having the "Bud" written on the car, it had "Dale" (at least the NASCAR video games I remember).....The Budweiser name, because it would be accused of encouraging underage drinking (Remember the video game "Tapper"?).  Names like "Tide", etc., would definitely be ok and like you said, that's advertising..

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 04:15:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 04:25 PM\']Actually this came up on the show the other day, the prize I think was a widescreen TV in a game of Double Prices, and it was one of those prizes not provided by the company, so the copy had no information as to a make or model when the astute player asked for it. Which is collossally stupid for a widescreen TV, since the price could fluctuate by $1000 depending on brand. The guy ended up winning it, and good for him, since it was a bald-ass guess on his part.
[/quote]

Actually, the contestant asked whether it was a plasma TV. Bob misinterpreted it as a request for the brand name, which Rich of course couldn't find. But Rich did re-read the "projection widescreen television" part of the copy, which placated the contestant.

If a contestant kept pushing to know the manufacturer, Bob could find out by turning to the producers table instead of Rich -- it's printed on the show sheets.

--
Scott Robinson

Shredder

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 06:33:44 PM »
I still say that if they could find some way to program it, an ONline game of Price is Right might be rather fun, with a CGI Bob Barker.  

Heh, even though this is even LESS likley to  happen, the Sponsors of TPIR could sponsor the game, and give away some of the lower cost prizes won by contestants to make it even more exciiting ;)..

clemon79

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 07:26:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 04:33 PM\']I still say that if they could find some way to program it, an ONline game of Price is Right might be rather fun, with a CGI Bob Barker. 
[/quote]
Okay. Convince me as to why. I'm willing to hear the opposite argument.

JayDLewis

The Price is Wrong....
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 10:45:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 15 2004, 12:48 PM\']The technology is there, the market isn't, and you're still not gonna find a publisher who is gonna bother to round up actual brand names for use in a PC game.
[snapback]63884[/snapback]
[/quote]

Baloney. While not a PC game, the Tiger handheld includes LOTS of brand names on the little prize cards and details of the item.

I grabbed a red deck of cards and the one on top has a picture of a waverunner with the following text "KAWASAKI 1100 SXT Personal Water Craft three seater, 803 pounds of thrust". In the same deck "CHEVROLET Metro LSi subcompact sedan 2-door, front-wheel drive, 1.3 liter 4-cylinder engine, custom cloth seats, full wheel covers, ABS"
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything