Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy game board  (Read 3135 times)

WhewsYourDaddy

Jeopardy game board
« on: November 09, 2004, 12:51:37 PM »
Does anybody know why Jeopardy uses flat panel monitors (I believe they're rear projection) for their road games but old tech crt's at home? After several set re-designs I've been expecting a technology upgrade but it hasn't happened.

BTW, I tried a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy game board
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 03:22:57 PM »
[quote name=\'WhewsYourDaddy\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 10:51 AM\']Does anybody know why Jeopardy uses flat panel monitors (I believe they're rear projection) for their road games but old tech crt's at home? After several set re-designs I've been expecting a technology upgrade but it hasn't happened.

BTW, I tried a search and couldn't find anything.
[snapback]63392[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is just a guess, BUT: If those are plasma monitors on the road, you wouldn't have the problems with sync that you do with a CRT. This would greatly simplify setting up and striking the set, as you wouldn't have to run every one of a great deal of monitors to a sync generator. You'd still NEED a sync generator, but not as big a one, I wouldn't think.

(Plasma monitors would also be significantly lighter and easier to transport than tubes would. I speak from experience, having replaced a 19" computer monitor with a 19" flatscreen about a month ago, and the tube monitor is still sitting on my easy chair because I haven't wanted to haul the behemoth down to the dumpster yet. :))

In the studio environment, the sync generator is already there, and I'm sure it's all easy to hook up (the board I'm sure is all daily chained so it's just a few cables to run everything into the sync system), so there's no reason to go to the expense quite yet.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

Jeopardy game board
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:06 PM »
As long as we've got this up here...has anyone ever noticed that on road shows, there's a different noise sequence for the dollar values popping into place?  I've always wondered why they do that...it just seems so random.

Fedya

Jeopardy game board
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 11:00:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 06:30 PM\']As long as we've got this up here...has anyone ever noticed that on road shows, there's a different noise sequence for the dollar values popping into place?  I've always wondered why they do that...it just seems so random.
[snapback]63416[/snapback]
[/quote]

You mean that music isn't added in post-production?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Steve Gavazzi

Jeopardy game board
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:07:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 11:00 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 06:30 PM\']As long as we've got this up here...has anyone ever noticed that on road shows, there's a different noise sequence for the dollar values popping into place?  I've always wondered why they do that...it just seems so random.
[/quote]

You mean that music isn't added in post-production?
[snapback]63435[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have no idea...and I'm really not sure what that has to do with my question, either.

Steve McClellan

Jeopardy game board
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 05:11:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 02:30 PM\']on road shows, there's a different noise sequence for the dollar values popping into place
[/quote]
They repeat three (IIRC) of the "notes" in the middle, presumably for the sole reason of extending it. Apparently, the animation takes longer on the traveling board.

[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 08:00 PM\']You mean that music isn't added in post-production?
[/quote]
Not only is it not added in post, that sound even plays in the studio when the DJ! values pop into place (during the break). In fact, aside from the applause after the fee plugs and the credits themselves, I can't think of anything that's added in post.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 05:12:08 AM by gameshowsteve »

uncamark

Jeopardy game board
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 06:11:02 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Nov 10 2004, 05:11 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 02:30 PM\']on road shows, there's a different noise sequence for the dollar values popping into place
[/quote]
They repeat three (IIRC) of the "notes" in the middle, presumably for the sole reason of extending it. Apparently, the animation takes longer on the traveling board.

[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 08:00 PM\']You mean that music isn't added in post-production?
[/quote]
Not only is it not added in post, that sound even plays in the studio when the DJ! values pop into place (during the break). In fact, aside from the applause after the fee plugs and the credits themselves, I can't think of anything that's added in post.
[snapback]63447[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, there's more than that--it may not as noticeable as Mother MacKenzie or Bob LaMasney/Boyd Wheeler "WHOO!"s, but Bobby Douglass does punch up the audience response in post when necessary besides during the credits.  And it would seem to me that those Clue Crew teases and bumpers may be inserted in post.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy game board
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 06:20:52 PM »
They repeat three (IIRC) of the "notes" in the middle, presumably for the sole reason of extending it.
You have too much time on your hands ;-)

MCArroyo1

Jeopardy game board
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 08:28:17 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Nov 10 2004, 05:11 AM\']They repeat three (IIRC) of the "notes" in the middle, presumably for the sole reason of extending it. Apparently, the animation takes longer on the traveling board.[/quote]

Well, not the Pittsburgh board, because the cue was the normal length on today's College Championship episode.  Perhaps they fixed it (if it was in fact slower)?

Steve McClellan

Jeopardy game board
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 12:14:59 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 10 2004, 03:11 PM\']And it would seem to me that those Clue Crew teases and bumpers may be inserted in post.[/quote]
ISTR seeing a couple of those in-studio, actually.