Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Opinion On TPIR's Showcase Ending  (Read 4418 times)

Diggity Dawg

Opinion On TPIR's Showcase Ending
« on: July 19, 2003, 09:20:01 PM »
I'm assuming this topic's been discussed here a gazillion times, but I'm fairly new here...& I'd like to hear the thoughts of all you game show experts on this topic :

It's my opinion that the Showcase would be better day in & day out if the \"without going over\" stipulation was removed from player's bids. It would take care of double over-bids, & people wouldn't be \"punished\" for coming very, very close but being over by a small amount of $$$ . I saw an episode the other day where someone was juuuuuuuuuuust over, & the other person won by being off by a LOT ( $5000 or so ) . I've watched the show on & off for probably about 25-30 years, & this has always bugged me. lol.

So what's the general opinion on this?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 09:27:38 PM »
terrible idea, imo. not being allowed to go over leaves the contestant needing to be careful with his/her bid. this helps add to the enjoyability* of the show, for me, at least.

* = is enjoyability a word?

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 09:29:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Diggity Dawg\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 08:20 PM\'] It's my opinion that the Showcase would be better day in & day out if the "without going over" stipulation was removed from player's bids. It would take care of double over-bids, & people wouldn't be "punished" for coming very, very close but being over by a small amount of $$$ . I saw an episode the other day where someone was juuuuuuuuuuust over, & the other person won by being off by a LOT ( $5000 or so ) . I've watched the show on & off for probably about 25-30 years, & this has always bugged me. lol.
 [/quote]
 If you're over, you're over. The rule has always been \"closest bid without going over wins\", since the 1950s. That's the rule of Contestant's Row, and it's the rule of the Showcase, not to mention the Showcase Showdown. To add this rule for the sake of being nice screws up the flow.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 09:40:30 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 06:29 PM\'] If you're over, you're over. [/quote]
 What they said. The danger of trying to bid close is that you might go over. That's why you win both showcases if you can do it. There are about four million games on the show that similarly punish you for going over even a little, it's a basic tenet of the show.

Besides, what's more satisfying that seeing someone go for the One-Dollar Gambit in the Showcase and pulling it off?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 11:46:33 PM »
The *original* point of the \"not going over\" business, back when Bob Stewart thought he was making a game that was as mentally challenging an exercise as the rest of his shows, was that if you bid more than a prize was worth, you didn't deserve to win because it meant you weren't a very good shopper.  

Obviously that's no longer an issue, and yes, the rule is a leftover relic from a much earlier time.   But it -- and the double overbids -- are part of the lore and the lure of the show.  TPIR has no need to change it, and since it takes them forever to get around to changing things they actually DO need to change, I wouldn't be holding my breath for this one to get overturned.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 05:07:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Diggity Dawg\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 08:20 PM\'] I'm assuming this topic's been discussed here a gazillion times, but I'm fairly new here...& I'd like to hear the thoughts of all you game show experts on this topic :

It's my opinion that the Showcase would be better day in & day out if the "without going over" stipulation was removed from player's bids. It would take care of double over-bids, & people wouldn't be "punished" for coming very, very close but being over by a small amount of $$$ . I saw an episode the other day where someone was juuuuuuuuuuust over, & the other person won by being off by a LOT ( $5000 or so ) . I've watched the show on & off for probably about 25-30 years, & this has always bugged me. lol.

So what's the general opinion on this? [/quote]
 Bad idea...I'm sick of people feeling \"sorry\" for a contestant that goes over by $59.  You lost; move on with your life...besides the whole premsis of thes how is \"the one closest to the actual retail price WITHOUT going over.\"
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 05:46:28 AM »
I feel sorry for contestants who go over by a few dollars . . . and that's a big reason why I like the show. Thrills of victory aren't nearly as much fun without some agonies of defeat thrown in.

(IMO, any word _____able, where the definition is \"able to ____\", can be made into _____ability. However, it seems that dictionaries are a little more picky: \"enjoyability\" isn't showing up as a valid word in Google.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 08:50:41 AM »
what's more satisfying that seeing someone go for the One-Dollar Gambit in the Showcase and pulling it off?
Sex.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 01:59:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 20 2003, 05:50 AM\']
what's more satisfying that seeing someone go for the One-Dollar Gambit in the Showcase and pulling it off?
Sex. [/quote]
 Ya got me there. It's been so long I'd forgotten. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2003, 02:00:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 20 2003, 12:59 PM\'] Ya got me there. It's been so long I'd forgotten. :) [/quote]
 OMG.  TMI.

Brandon Brooks

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2003, 05:08:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 09:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 06:29 PM\'] If you're over, you're over. [/quote]Besides, what's more satisfying that seeing someone go for the One-Dollar Gambit in the Showcase and pulling it off? [/quote]
 Seeing someone go for the One-Dollar Gambit only to have the other contestant win both Showcases.

I only say that because I've seen it happen; Clementson's answer is infinitely better.

TonicBH

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 05:47:45 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 20 2003, 07:50 AM\']
Sex.
[/quote]
 What's odd is that I can think of this FF88 contestant say \"Sex.\"

It was from As Seen On, where they showed a clip of Dawson Feud from around Valentine's Day with soap stars. I forgot the question, but one of the contestants didn't want to say sex, so he kept stumbling. Then GSN flips to a Combs Feud contestant saying \"Sex.\", then back to Dawson Feud a bit... then a Bullseye-era Combs ep with Ray saying \"Make Love!\", finally back to Dawson Feud again as he finally says something to the words of \"Make Love.\"

Damn you \"As Seen On.\"
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

joshg

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2003, 05:58:12 AM »
Besides, what's more satisfying that seeing someone go for the One-Dollar Gambit in the Showcase and pulling it off?

I always love those moments... plus the fact that Barker has to say all those numbers makes it sound like he's in pain or something (...with a difference of $23, 347)

How about someone actually understanding how to play 'Check Game', now that's satisfying!

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...