Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More info on color daytime shows  (Read 3618 times)

Jimmy Owen

More info on color daytime shows
« on: July 17, 2003, 12:57:36 PM »
Checking my old TV Guides, I've found that regular colorcasting of \"It Could Be You\" started in the summer of 1958.  \"Haggis Baggis\" was in color as well when it debuted in daytime on 6/30/58 and was in color for its entire run. \"Truth or Consequences\" was in color for a time in 1959 but went back to B&W by 1960.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 11:34:37 AM »
And actually, from some research I did online, with the conversion of \"Concentration\" to color in November, 1966, that marked the completion for NBC - all their network-aired shows were in color at that point.

TV Guides from around 1969-1970 are neat to look at, with the © for designating a color program....Which from what I've heard, some of the TV Guides didn't stop using it until around 1972..

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 12:52:44 PM »
Re. the \"C\" in TVGuide....yes, it was in the fall of 1972 they switched to a \"BW\" symbol.  There was even a brief article in the magazine about the switch.  Basically it said that because the majority of shows were in color, there was no use indicating as such for just about every show they listed.

When I look back to the old guides from the early '60s, I'm surprised at the number of daytime game shows that were in color at that point - it must have been very expensive at that time to do color.

Most primetime shows didn't switch to color until the mid-60s.  In fact, when ABC reran such shows as \"Bewitched\" and \"The Fugitive\" in the daytime in the late '60s, even the color shows were aired in black and white, \"because it was cheaper\".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 01:09:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 11:52 AM\'] Re. the \"C\" in TVGuide....yes, it was in the fall of 1972 they switched to a \"BW\" symbol.  There was even a brief article in the magazine about the switch.  Basically it said that because the majority of shows were in color, there was no use indicating as such for just about every show they listed.

When I look back to the old guides from the early '60s, I'm surprised at the number of daytime game shows that were in color at that point - it must have been very expensive at that time to do color.

Most primetime shows didn't switch to color until the mid-60s.  In fact, when ABC reran such shows as \"Bewitched\" and \"The Fugitive\" in the daytime in the late '60s, even the color shows were aired in black and white, \"because it was cheaper\". [/quote]
1965 or 1966 seems to be the time that a lot of the shows switched...Ozzie and Harriet's last season was 1965-1966, which was in color; however, that was also the last season for the Donna Reed Show, which was still in B&W; as well as Dick Van Dyke.

Get Smart was in color from the start in 1965 (with the exception of the pilot), as was Green Acres, and the CBS run of My 3 Sons.

I remember watching some episodes of Hazel, however, where the color was terrible.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 01:10:12 PM by aaron sica »

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 01:36:25 AM »
American Bandstand went to color in 1966, making it one of the last network shows to do so...they tried it briefly in the late 50s, but because of the large size and immobility of the early color TV cameras, Dick Clark argued they had to go back to B&W, or it would kill the look of the show...since AB was one of ABC's most profitable shows at the time, they had no problem following through.

ObGameShow: You already know. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

trainman

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 11:47:41 PM »
I just acquired a Philadelphia TV Guide from December 1956, back when \"Bandstand\" was still a local show...I was surprised to see that it was listed as being in color.
trainman is a man of trains

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 09:15:51 AM »
Bandstand directors Kip Walton and Barry Glazer directed game shows, Walton Lange NTT and Kennedy SPlit Second  among others, and Glazer directed Crosswits 1986.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 11:55:33 AM »
>>American Bandstand went to color in 1966, making it one of the last network shows to do so...

Actually, it was in the fall of 1967, about a week after Sioux City, IA's old CBS station went to ABC and their viewers had to get used to CBS being on a new UHF station.  It signed on the day after the final CBS broadcast of Gilligan's Island (they made up for it by buying the reruns), and they were only able to pick up the last three CBS Password eps before \"Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing\" took over that time slot the following week.  I don't think it was until then that Captain Kangaroo went to color as well.  ABC may have still had one b/w game by then, One In A Million.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 06:42:00 PM »
Bandstand directors Kip Walton and Barry Glazer directed game shows, Walton Lange NTT and Kennedy SPlit Second  among others, and Glazer directed Crosswits 1986.

And it should be mentioned that before he stepped into the control room to direct, Kip Walton was organist on the obscure early 60s CBS game show \"Face the Facts.\"  Hosted by a gentleman named Red Rowe, who CBS loved and put in several different formats, even though my mother didn't (but she left the show on because it was on between \"Password\" and \"House Party\").  Me being a little kid, I don't remember that much about the show, except that it had a courtroom-type setting and flashier scoreboards than many game shows back then (of course, it was from Television City instead of New York).