Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reasons why they tightened the wheel?  (Read 5409 times)

cmjb13

Reasons why they tightened the wheel?
« on: July 19, 2003, 04:43:25 PM »
This goes for TPIR and WOF.

Do you think they tightened the wheel to make the show move faster?

or

Was it because of an increase in commercial time and decrease in show time?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 04:54:12 PM »
For TPIR, I don't know... I think probably not.

For WOF, oh God yes.  Watch a weekend Wheel on GSN and watch a recent one on Monday.  There's a very big difference in the wheel tension.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 05:07:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 08:54 PM\'] For TPIR, I don't know... I think probably not.

For WOF, oh God yes.  Watch a weekend Wheel on GSN and watch a recent one on Monday.  There's a very big difference in the wheel tension.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 You should see the Edd Byrnes pilot.  The wheel spins FOREVER!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

HSquares2003

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 05:16:07 PM »
A big yawner: MG '70s Star Wheel. Yikes, I am very suprised GSN hasn't done their own edits or put their speed ups (maybe for once they'd be a help) in while it's spinning.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 05:29:15 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 04:16 PM\'] A big yawner: MG '70s Star Wheel. Yikes, I am very suprised GSN hasn't done their own edits or put their speed ups (maybe for once they'd be a help) in while it's spinning. [/quote]
 Speaking of the MG wheel, am I the only one who notices it appears to move irregularly while it's spinning? I mean, it appears to slow for a split second and then goes back to normal speed.

melman1

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 06:42:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 02:29 PM\']Speaking of the MG wheel, am I the only one who notices it appears to move irregularly while it's spinning? I mean, it appears to slow for a split second and then goes back to normal speed.[/quote]
I assume that's because they are squeezing out frames of video?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 06:50:02 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 05:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 02:29 PM\']Speaking of the MG wheel, am I the only one who notices it appears to move irregularly while it's spinning? I mean, it appears to slow for a split second and then goes back to normal speed.[/quote]
I assume that's because they are squeezing out frames of video? [/quote]
 Bingo.  The same thing happens on WoF.

Brandon Brooks

Gus

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 06:54:08 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 05:29 PM\'][quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 04:16 PM\'] A big yawner: MG '70s Star Wheel. Yikes, I am very suprised GSN hasn't done their own edits or put their speed ups (maybe for once they'd be a help) in while it's spinning. [/quote]
Speaking of the MG wheel, am I the only one who notices it appears to move irregularly while it's spinning? I mean, it appears to slow for a split second and then goes back to normal speed.[/quote]
Actually, I think they do use the speedup during the wheel. I notice the jerkiness too, and I think that what causes it is the deletion of frames in irregular intervals by the speedup machine. I also see that effect on old episodes of Wheel of Fortune while the wheel is spinning.

(BTW, this is my first post here on the new board. I don't know whether to celebrate, or what.)

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 07:00:16 PM »
Welcome!

Brandon Brooks

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 10:06:15 PM »
For TPIR, there was no reason to tighten the wheel other than it was *too* easy to spin. I was watching some eps. from 1976 or so and the smallest tug sent the wheel on, at least, one-and-a-half trips. A strong guy, like those we see today, could get the thing spinning for minutes.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Gromit

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 05:16:37 AM »
I was watching a show recently (past couple of months) and Bob said something about them adjusting it all the time, to make it spin a bit differently. Anybody know how often they do it?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 07:18:55 PM »
Not sure, but i think it's every show.

CTGregg

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 09:28:56 AM »
Although probably pressed for time, they should allow contestants a test spin to get the feel of the wheel.  Although even if they adjusted even time, new contestants would never know the difference, right???

Hey, speaking of the Price Is Right....anyone try the online version?  Its actually pretty cool and you can win instantly, although prizes only seem to be available in CT right now.  Thoughts on the game?  Something to keep your eye on.

www.thepriceisright.com

TV Favorites

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 11:26:15 AM »
[quote name=\'CTGregg\' date=\'Jul 25 2003, 09:28 AM\'] Although probably pressed for time, they should allow contestants a test spin to get the feel of the wheel.  Although even if they adjusted even time, new contestants would never know the difference, right??? [/quote]
 I think they may let the contestants take a practice spin off camera before the showcase showdown is taped (I don't know for sure, but I think I heard that somewhere).

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 12:17:01 PM »
[quote name=\'CTGregg\' date=\'Jul 25 2003, 08:28 AM\'] Although probably pressed for time, they should allow contestants a test spin to get the feel of the wheel. [/quote]
 Why would they need a test spin? The idea is not to hit the 1.00 using one's skill in wheel spinning, it's supposed to be luck. That's why it has to go all the way around at least once.

(Although in the $1,000,000 version when at least one contestant almost hit the big one, you could tell they were aiming for it. But generally, it's luck.)