Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did I Make A Lucky Find?  (Read 2567 times)

grimmte

Did I Make A Lucky Find?
« on: July 19, 2003, 03:34:08 PM »
I was at a store called \"Value Village\" here in Ottawa and came across a version of the Family Feud Board Game. The box and instruction set say copywright 1977 and it was distributed by Somerville Belkin Industries Limited out of London, Ontario. The game doesn't contain any play money and one of the pull tabs is missing but I have a 1990 version of the board game that has sutable replacement parts, money included. The box color is mostly blue, there are no family names on the boards behind them but the score on the box is 88 to 68. What I am wondering is if this is in the fact the very first edition of the the board game? (Canadian Edition of course.) I bought it for $1.99.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Todd

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Did I Make A Lucky Find?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 03:50:32 PM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 12:34 PM\'] I was at a store called "Value Village" here in Ottawa and came across a version of the Family Feud Board Game. The box and instruction set say copywright 1977 and it was distributed by Somerville Belkin Industries Limited out of London, Ontario. [/quote]
 It's definitely one of the older ones. A steal at $1.99 at any rate.

There's a Value Village down the street from me. I really ought to pay them a visit one of these days.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Did I Make A Lucky Find?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 04:44:19 PM »
Yes, that's an original edition.  The only difference between the Canadian packaging and the American packaging is the reference to the Somerville distribution out of London, Ontario where an American Milton Bradley version would refer to their Springfield, Massachusetts base.  Most of the bigger MB games (including Password, Concentration and almost certainly Jeopardy) were published in near-identical Canadian editions.

Don't ask about value, eBay has rendered all but the most obscure games nearly worthless from a collector's dollars and cents standpoint.  But for someone who still remember the thrill of the hunt, hearing a story about a 26-year-old game found at a thrift store brings back some fond memories.  I salute you on your lucky find!

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/games.htm
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

Did I Make A Lucky Find?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 09:19:26 PM »
yah. i found the same FF at a Value Village near where I live. It was $3.99, i think.