Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One year ago today.....  (Read 4459 times)

zachhoran

One year ago today.....
« on: October 27, 2004, 08:48:16 AM »
........ Rod Roddy lost his battle with colon cancer at age 66.

Kevin Prather

One year ago today.....
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 06:27:05 PM »
*moment of silence*

gameshowguy2000

One year ago today.....
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »
It's shocking, that it's been a year since his death. It hits me especially, since he grew up in my home state of Texas.

tvrandywest

One year ago today.....
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 08:35:44 PM »
I was just discussing Rod's passing with one of his oldest friends, Joey Reynolds (they worked together at WKBW in the 60s and have been in close touch continuously over the ensuing decades). Aside from the memorial service in CBS studio 33, Rod's chapel and graveside memorial services last year were very tasteful and well attended by his closest friends. Rod rests beneath a small, simple gravestone in a Texas cemetary near his Fort Worth home.

If you want to memorialize the day in a manner that truly honors Rod, encourage those you love over the age of 50 (40 if there is a family history) to get a colonoscopy. During his final months Rod was most sincere in repeatedly urging his friends to do so.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 08:37:53 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
One year ago today.....
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 10:56:23 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 04:42 PM\']It's shocking, that it's been a year since his death. It hits me especially, since he grew up in my home state of Texas.
[snapback]62197[/snapback]
[/quote]
What, nobody famous from Texas has ever died before?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

One year ago today.....
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 11:00:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 09:56 PM\']What, nobody famous from Texas has ever died before?
[snapback]62205[/snapback]
[/quote]

Lemon, that's about the most disrespectful, most uncalled-for thing I've ever seen you write.  Shame on you.

clemon79

One year ago today.....
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 11:11:10 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 08:00 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 09:56 PM\']What, nobody famous from Texas has ever died before?
[/quote]

Lemon, that's about the most disrespectful, most uncalled-for thing I've ever seen you write.  Shame on you.
[snapback]62206[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, wonk wonk wonk. I'd say it again. Given the opportunity, I WILL say it again.

People die. It happens. Yes, it's very sad. But life goes on. If he hadn't read it someplace, GSG2K wouldn't even have KNOWN where he was from. But because he's from his home state, now it's a tragic loss that is worthy of mourning a year after the fact, despite the fact that he's never exchanged so much as a word with the man. So it would have meant less to him if he was from Rhode Island?

Gimme a freakin' break already.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 11:26:51 PM by clemon79 »

Don Howard

One year ago today.....
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 11:13:54 PM »
My word, a full year already. Where does the time go?
As Bob Barker said at the close of his tribute a few days later, "May God bless Rod".

DrJWJustice

One year ago today.....
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 11:26:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 10:11 PM\'][quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 08:00 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 09:56 PM\']What, nobody famous from Texas has ever died before?
[/quote]

[snapback]62206[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, wonk wonk wonk. I'd say it again. Given the opportunity, I WILL say it again.

People die. It happens. If he hadn't read it someplace, GSG2K wouldn't even have KNOWN where he was from. But because he's from his home state, now it's a tragic loss that is worthy of mourning a year after the fact, despite the fact that he's never exchanged so much as a word with the man. So it would have meant less to him if he was from Rhode Island?

Gimme a freakin' break already.
[snapback]62207[/snapback]
[/quote]

No way.  You definitely do not deserve one.   The fact that people die doesn't excuse what you wrote in response.  I'll say what I said again -- you oughta be ashamed of yourself.  It's painfully obvious that you're not -- you're either too proud to be ashamed or just totally lacking in couth.  We Texans feel it just a bit more than others when one of our own passes.  That's just part of being human, and I know that we Texans don't have a monopoly on that.  The fact of the matter is that this is not about him and Rod being Texan.  He's entitled to feel about it that way, as far as I'm concerned, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way about it.  This is now all about you writing something that was TOTALLY out of line, and I've gotten a number of IMs tonight that show I'm not the only one who thinks that.  

Oh, and if it's any consolation, I may be moving to Rhode Island in the near future.  I'll feel it just the same there as I do here in Texas.

Group, leave it to Sour Lemon to ruin a chance to remember one of the best in the buisness.  

Rest in peace, Rod.  As we sing here, 'the stars at night are big and bright', and you were certainly one of the brightest of them, Rod.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 11:31:59 PM by DrJWJustice »

clemon79

One year ago today.....
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 12:08:05 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 08:26 PM\']We Texans feel it just a bit more than others when one of our own passes.
[/quote]
This says it all. Get the hell over yourself.
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 08:26 PM\']and I've gotten a number of IMs tonight that show I'm not the only one who thinks that.
[/quote]
Yeah? Why don't they IM me? I'm not a hard man to find.
Group, leave it to Sour Lemon to ruin a chance to remember one of the best in the buisness. 
Now, now, is it really appropriate to take a personal shot at my name when I didn't even say anything about steers and....um, other steers?

Steve Gavazzi

One year ago today.....
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 12:52:10 AM »
For what it's worth (and that's probably not much), I had exactly the same reaction to that post as Lemon did.  I'm not sure exactly why the line rubbed me the wrong way so much; it just did.  (Although the fact that GSG was the one who said it probably didn't help.)

DrJWJustice

One year ago today.....
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 01:35:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 11:08 PM\']Now, now, is it really appropriate to take a personal shot at my name when I didn't even say anything about steers and....um, other steers?
[snapback]62220[/snapback]
[/quote]

Excuse me for the shot at the name -- but it  was too tempting to let go, to be sure.  Then again, I suspect you've thought of that liner well before it occurred to me.

As for steers and queers, if you'd said that in reference to the University of Texas, I would have stood up and applauded.  I break with my home state when it comes to ... them.  But, I digress....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 01:40:11 AM by DrJWJustice »

DrJWJustice

One year ago today.....
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:38:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Oct 27 2004, 11:52 PM\']For what it's worth (and that's probably not much), I had exactly the same reaction to that post as Lemon did.  I'm not sure exactly why the line rubbed me the wrong way so much; it just did.  (Although the fact that GSG was the one who said it probably didn't help.)
[snapback]62227[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably because of who sent it.  I'll admit I thought "oh $#!£" when I saw who sent it, but I really didn't see anything wrong with it.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
One year ago today.....
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 02:46:12 AM »
Mr. Lemon and Dr. Justice: no more posts in this thread, thank you.

For the rest of you who want to pay respectful tribute to Rod Roddy we will leave this thread open.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 02:52:08 AM by chris319 »

jdhernandez

One year ago today.....
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 04:02:22 AM »
Thank you, Chris.

It's amazing that just a few years back, he was his usual peppy self while doing the 30th anniversary premiere, and the special show at Las Vegas. Now it's been a year already since his sad passing. Not only that, but it's hard to believe that he was still announcing shows well into the 32nd season...just mere weeks before he finally succumbed to his illnesses late October of last year. Just goes to show what a real trooper he was, still doing one of the things he loved doing even while he was noticably sick. It still gives me somewhat of a chill whenever I watch `Press Your Luck' every weekend morning to hear Rod's intro.

May God bless ya, Rod...say hi to Johnny [Olsen] for us, will ya?
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.