Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Idea: new Catch Phrase  (Read 3922 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Idea: new Catch Phrase
« on: July 18, 2003, 05:35:17 PM »
I think a revival of Catch Phrase could work for GSN. They made Lingo, another short-lived 80's series successful, so I think they could make CP successful too. I'd make it similar to the old show for the most part. Each correct mini-Catch Phrase answer in the first round puts $25 into the pot, which as always, is won by solving the Super Catch Phrase. The second round has answers worth $50 apiece, and the value goes up $25 per puzzle until time runs out. The player with the most money wins. [And both players keep thier money]

In the bonus round, a new Super Catch Phrase is hidden behind the nine-square board. A clue is given, then for every $100 earned in the front game, the player can take off one square from the puzzle. They then get once chance to guess the answer. If correct, they win the jackpot which starts at $5,000 and goes up $1,000 each day it's not won. And there are returning champions.

This show could really kick ass now with the high tech computer graphics and video walls we have now that its predecessor didn't have in 1985. As for a host, I think Michael Burger could work here, but maybe that's just me.

What do you guys think?

Neumms

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 05:58:16 PM »
I like the idea of bringing back Catch Phrase. I wonder if they (or you) can't come up with a more interesting structure for the game--the each correct answer reveals a section of another catch phrase always struck me as dull. There wasn't anything particularly super about the puzzles they chose to be super catch phrases. Does anyone else agree? I just think it could be funner. It needs a giant wheel or something. (Maybe not that, specifically.)

I recently saw Burgo's Catch Phrase, the Australian version that's still running and still works much like Art James' version. It's kind of flat. Part of that is Burgo the host, part due to what I found lazy puzzle writing. Much of the time they had to use a lot of verbage to make the puzzles work. Also, the graphics weren't anything you'd call cool--maybe it would take big-time Silicon Valley types to up the ante.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 06:06:35 PM »
One option is using Q & A to reveal the pieces of the puzzle. Perhaps that could work.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 09:12:41 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 03:06 PM\'] One option is using Q & A to reveal the pieces of the puzzle. Perhaps that could work. [/quote]
 No, the major part of the game is the jump-in phrases. Why are you just wholesale yanking out the biggest part of the game? What would this \"Q & A\" be about? Who the hell would CARE?

And why are you taking the (very good, IMO) five-in-a-row bonus round and replacing it with Just Another Rehash Of Funny Money, Battlestars, And About Five Hundred Other Shows?

The fact is, the show has been successful in practically EVERY OTHER country it's aired in aside from the US. That right there shows you that the format does not need to be tweaked - it's a good game in and of itself. Maybe the idea is just too cerebral for a US game-show audience, or maybe something else needs to be tweaked. But the problem ain't with the game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dan Sadro

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 03:33:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 08:12 PM\'] The fact is, the show has been successful in practically EVERY OTHER country it's aired in aside from the US. That right there shows you that the format does not need to be tweaked - it's a good game in and of itself. Maybe the idea is just too cerebral for a US game-show audience, or maybe something else needs to be tweaked. But the problem ain't with the game. [/quote]
 When a game show is successful in other countries, that means the game is good.

I thought the problem with the original one was that the technology wasn't ready, as if they were overstepping the boundaries of the available technology.  The animation just looked bad -- far, far worse than the technology used on Classic Concentration -- and it was far too slow for the typical 1980s American Game Show :^)

(And enough people are aware of the Mr. Chips/Snake Charmer wink wink nod nod clip from the MOGSM that it might quite possibly give a slight boost of interest among the normal viewing audience)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 03:49:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 12:33 PM\'] (And enough people are aware of the Mr. Chips/Snake Charmer wink wink nod nod clip
 [/quote]
 Say...no...MORE!

ObPython: I was watching the SNL repeat on Comedy Central the other night, and they had John Cleese and Michael Palin on as Surprise Special Guests. They did the opening bit, but I was especially pleased and honored to see them do Dead Parrot later in the show. :)

ObSNLGameShow: What would it take to get Sean Connery on the REAL Celebrity Jeopardy? I'd laugh for the entire half hour just looking at it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 05:04:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 02:49 PM\'] ObSNLGameShow: What would it take to get Sean Connery on the REAL Celebrity Jeopardy? [/quote]
A miracle.  A-listers rarely do game shows.  But a guy can dream, can't he?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 05:04:57 PM by GS Warehouse »

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 01:13:16 AM »
A miracle. A-listers rarely do game shows. But a guy can dream, can't he?

Well, they had no prob getting them in for celeb eps of WWtBaM back when the network version was in its ratings glory days.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 09:57:11 AM »
How about about using Catch Phrase-type puzzles on a new  Concentration?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 09:59:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 08:57 AM\'] How about about using Catch Phrase-type puzzles on a new  Concentration? [/quote]
 Nah...IMO, the Catch Phrase puzzles (called \"plexers\") are the one thing that keeps it from becoming \"Concentration,\" and vice versa.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!