Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show host on US Billboard album charts  (Read 3990 times)

zachhoran

Game Show host on US Billboard album charts
« on: October 08, 2004, 09:12:23 AM »
WWTBAM/Super Millionaire's own Regis Philbin debuts at #54 on this week's Billboard 200 Album charts with "When You're Smiling". It is IIRC his first appearance on the Billboard charts, which at his age(71 or 73 depending on the source) is at or near a record for an artist making their debut on said chart.

remlap

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 03:37:50 PM »
What is his singing like?, ive only seen Regis on his daytime show but seems a nice enough chap.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 03:41:45 PM by remlap »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 03:49:15 PM »
You mean "It's Time For Regis!" never charted?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 03:56:41 PM »
I have a copy of "It's Time for Regis" as well, and it's pleasant, fluffy listening. Light tunes - I don't remember any songs very dramatic or demanding. Nothing that will make Sinatra or Martin surrender their titles, but it's all in the production. They play to his strengths and cover his weaknesses. If you went to something like "A Night With Regis" at your local auditorium and he had a few songs in his act, you wouldn't be embarrased. They sound like something he likes to do, not make it a career. If I were back in adult standards radio, I'd play a few cuts from the new one for a little spice in the mix.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 10:58:56 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 05:02:28 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 09:12 AM\']WWTBAM/Super Millionaire's own Regis Philbin debuts at #54 on this week's Billboard 200 Album charts with "When You're Smiling". It is IIRC his first appearance on the Billboard charts, which at his age(71 or 73 depending on the source) is at or near a record for an artist making their debut on said chart.
[snapback]59997[/snapback]
[/quote]
My first instinct when you make that statement is to wonder whether any of George Burns' later-life vanity projects made the charts.  He was 77 when he release George Burns Sings, and 84 when the more popular I Wish I Was Eighteen Again came out.  The latter was considered more of a country album (the single was a bona fide hit there) but it might still have made the pop charts.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

RMF

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 06:32:06 PM »
No clue if the album did, but the single reached #49 on the Singles chart.