Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A special treat at "World of Soap Themes"..  (Read 19114 times)

TimK2003

A special treat at "World of Soap Themes"..
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2004, 11:54:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 11:29 PM\']One of the legions of people mystified by the selection of Bowzer as host for the Hollywood Squares segment was Peter Marshall. Pete's show, Fantasy, is replaced by the show he emceed for 15 years and he doesn't even get to host it.
[snapback]59285[/snapback]
[/quote]

Another ironic point is that "Fantasy", a Heatter/Quigley show, was replaced by another H/Q show that they did not have their hands on anymore, kinda-sorta.

zachhoran

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2004, 08:18:00 AM »
Another ironic point is that "Fantasy", a Heatter/Quigley show, was replaced by another H/Q show that they did not have their hands on anymore, kinda-sorta.

Fantasy was Heatter solo(in association with Columbia Pictures, meaning GSN has the episodes and can air it if it wants, and chose to only one time)

uncamark

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2004, 04:15:57 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 2 2004, 02:52 PM\']
They flubbed that one. I dunno if that was an early episode (not that MGHSH had LATE episodes, per se), or what, but the byebye as I remember it went like this:

Gene: "Until next time, I'm Gene Rayburn for the Match Game!"
Jon: "And I'm Jon Bauman for Hollywood Squares!"
Gene: "We'll see you next time on the Match Game / Hollywood Squares Hour!"

<cue rattle>
[snapback]59343[/snapback]
Per the website, the original airdate was 5/8/84--which means that it was a relatively late episode (the show ended in late July).
[snapback]59346[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which means that most likely Mother MacKenzie was not heard at all on this show--since she suddenly disappeared from "MG/HSH" about halfway into the run--I pretty much assume that it was Rayburn's doing--guess he never noticed that "MG" was sweetened for all of the nine years they taped at TV City.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2004, 08:00:14 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 03:15 PM\'][Which means that most likely Mother MacKenzie was not heard at all on this show--since she suddenly disappeared from "MG/HSH" about halfway into the run--I pretty much assume that it was Rayburn's doing--guess he never noticed that "MG" was sweetened for all of the nine years they taped at TV City.
[snapback]59507[/snapback]
[/quote]

Having kind of trained my ears for this sort of thing (as if you couldn't tell ;-) ), the audience whistles were indeed MacKenzied on this ep (it was the "yee-hoo" track--used a lot during the mid-80s on all of NBC's games).

Man, I wish these reaction tracks had easily-referrable names, like the music cues bandied about in prior threads (they probably do, but nobody's talking).  At least that way I can sound like I know what I'm talking about (although that's never stopped me before ;-) ).

Doug -- and the countdown to 700 continues
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 08:00:49 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2004, 08:57:47 PM »
One item of note is that it's a different ep than the NBC Soap Stars Week ep that's been floating around for several yrs...Hunley, McCabe, and Forsyth played in the MG portion on said ep.

As far as other appearances, both Hall and Northrop did a Battle of the Daytime Soaps week on syndie Dawson FF earlier that year (1984), and Northrop did a week of Just Men over a year before that...in addition, SFT co-stars Marcia McCabe and David Forsyth did a special soap stars week of Go that aired several months prior.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Robair

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2004, 04:05:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 07:00 PM\']Man, I wish these reaction tracks had easily-referrable names, like the music cues bandied about in prior threads (they probably do, but nobody's talking).  At least that way I can sound like I know what I'm talking about (although that's never stopped me before ;-) ).
[snapback]59549[/snapback]
[/quote]

I understand implicitly! There are code names for the "reaction stings" used on NBC game shows.

You have "Yeah uh hoh ah whoa!"
And "Aaaaah!    Oooooowwww!" (very high pitched)
Also, "Owhoooo-aieeee!"
The ever popular "Whooo (whistle) ah unnh come on!"
And the "Baffle" era "Whooooo!" and "Oooooooo!"

I hadda cue up an old 1987 ep of WOF to research this post during a bout of insomnia. Now I'm gonna hear this stuff in my sleep.
--Robair

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2004, 10:56:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 03:05 AM\']I understand implicitly! There are code names for the "reaction stings" used on NBC game shows.

You have "Yeah uh hoh ah whoa!"
And "Aaaaah!    Oooooowwww!" (very high pitched)
Also, "Owhoooo-aieeee!"
The ever popular "Whooo (whistle) ah unnh come on!"
And the "Baffle" era "Whooooo!" and "Oooooooo!"

I hadda cue up an old 1987 ep of WOF to research this post during a bout of insomnia. Now I'm gonna hear this stuff in my sleep.
[snapback]59592[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not sure which one of us needs help more.  :)

And if I'm worthy of a "WHOOOOSH!", so be it.

Doug -- and the countdown to 700 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

gsnstooge

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2004, 09:09:16 PM »
I think Jon Bauman looks better in a suit, especially with a sweater than in a greaser jacket.

drmusic_99

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 05:05:42 PM »
Boy, the LA Olympics really sucked without the Soviets participating! ;)

Anyway, I don't think Bowser was horrible, but if Marshall was available, they obviously should have snapped him up.

The one thing about this show which really turns me off is the set, especially for the HS portion. Having the celebs in that little three-tiered thing really takes away from the "bigness" the original show had.

tvwxman

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 06:00:04 PM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 04:05 PM\']
The one thing about this show which really turns me off is the set, especially for the HS portion. Having the celebs in that little three-tiered thing really takes away from the "bigness" the original show had.
[snapback]60436[/snapback]
[/quote]

I disagree (Circle gets the square and $25!)

IMHO, the ONLY thing that show had going for it was the panel seats....when the upper tier moved into position, THAT was cool....

Even at the age of 10, I said to myself : "Self! What's up with that huge wall! What a waste of a set!"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 06:00:26 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JMFabiano

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2004, 12:54:45 AM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 04:05 PM\']Boy, the LA Olympics really sucked without the Soviets participating! ;)

Anyway, I don't think Bowser was horrible, but if Marshall was available, they obviously should have snapped him up.

[snapback]60436[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, I agree with the other post and think the changing from MG to HS with the rest of the set swinging in was cool...at least when I was 6 years old and the show was first on.  And somehow, the camera work was such that the completed HS board somehow looked imposing nonetheless.  (I also thought the full-square symbols idea was good)  

Yeah...why not Marshall?  I remember Steve Beverly claiming that Bauman was brought in to attract younger viewers, but someone here pointed out that it WAS Steve Beverly who said this.  So what was up with that?  Did they not want to make it look like Peter was "crawling" back to his old job because Fantasy was over?  (I know that wouldn't be true...if I recall his book, Peter said he would have wanted to do MG/HS)  Was Bauman friends with someone higher-up in the production of the show/some other political play?  Did they want someone who could play MG? (Well Peter did too!  And if I went through all the male MG panelists, I don't think Bowzer would come to mind first)  Did they, gasp, actually have faith in Bauman's "abilities"?  

Personally Jon never offended my tastes, maybe that can be chalked up to MG/HS nostalgia though.  Plus a friend and I have gotten a good laugh or two imitating Bowzer, so I can't totally hate him ;-)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Argo

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2004, 01:12:56 AM »
Seriously though. Just think of the ads they could have for the show, having 2 classy game show hosts hosting an hour of their own staple show. I think the premise was great, but it just wasnt carried out very well. Peter should have been given the chance to host, and maybe the set didnt have to look so stadiumish or cold, but thats whatever. If both production companies had independant control over their segment and kept HS HS, then i would think it would have a much better run.

pyl85

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2004, 03:32:53 AM »
Was anyone else slightly annoyed by the fact that all the HS questions were either "A" or "B"? I mean an occasional Yes/No question is alright, but having every question multiple choice with only two choices?

Then again, we wouldn't want the stars to look stupid AND unfunny ;-)

Was it like this for the entire run, or was this just an isolated incident?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2004, 05:09:28 AM »
[quote name=\'pyl85\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 01:32 AM\']Was anyone else slightly annoyed by the fact that all the HS questions were either "A" or "B"? I mean an occasional Yes/No question is alright, but having every question multiple choice with only two choices?

Then again, we wouldn't want the stars to look stupid AND unfunny ;-)

Was it like this for the entire run, or was this just an isolated incident?
[snapback]63795[/snapback]
[/quote]
As we have discussed here approximately six kajillion times, this was the format of HS under Goodson's control, because he didn't like the practice of briefing the celebs and therefore wanted to play it straight.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2004, 03:25:47 PM »

Marshall helped develop the show and was actually supposed to host the HS segment, but for unknown reasons, he was screwed out of it at the last minute by Orion (a la Bert Convy's pulling the rug out from under him some 6 yrs later w/3rd Degree).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")