Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A special treat at "World of Soap Themes"..  (Read 19102 times)

aaron sica

A special treat at "World of Soap Themes"..
« on: October 01, 2004, 12:54:47 PM »
http://www.wost.org/bonus18.html

That link will take you to an *entire* episode of MG/HS, in which NBC daytime stars played.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:09:23 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 11:54 AM\']http://www.wost.org/bonus18.html

That link will take you to an *entire* episode of MG/HS, in which NBC daytime stars played.
[snapback]59182[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow!  That's just... wow!

Is it just me... or does Gene look like he's in pain for the entire show??
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 01:57:24 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 09:54 AM\']http://www.wost.org/bonus18.html
[snapback]59182[/snapback]
[/quote]
That was awesome. I don't do the tape trading thing, so it's literally been 20 years since I've seen an episode of MGHSH. It was neat to hear that theme again in the place God intended it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CaseyAbell

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 02:11:15 PM »
Thanks for the link! A blast to see a double-breasted sportcoat, 80s hair and a cleaned-up Bowser.

As for Gene looking less than thrilled, yeah, the smiles and laughs are pretty scarce. And the rapport with the panelists seems nonexistent compared to the old Brett-and-Charles days. But maybe we know too much about his supposed discontent with the format.

I can honestly say that I didn't recognize any of the soap stars.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 02:13:16 PM by CaseyAbell »

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 02:19:08 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 02:11 PM\']I can honestly say that I didn't recognize any of the soap stars.
[snapback]59200[/snapback]
[/quote]

One reply to two posts:

Chris Lemon: You were the first person I thought of who could benefit and enjoy the clip, as I remember you saying on more than one occasion that you're not a tape trader.

Casey: Really? You didn't recognize anyone? I recognized two: Deidre Hall was the first. Although I know she's been on "Days" for a long time, I remember her better as the mother on a show I loved, "Our House". The second was John DeLancie. You must not be a Star Trek fan at all. He went on to play the occasional role of "Q" on "ST:TNG".

CaseyAbell

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 02:24:59 PM »
Sorry, but nope, I'm not a soap fan at all, and I checked out of Trekkie-dom after the original series.

Oh, I can see why the celebs are scripted in all other versions of H2. The gameplay comes down to one answer to each question, and if the celeb doesn't have anything witty to say, he/she can't be picked up very well by other people on the panel. Really strikes me how much MG's format, by contrast, lends itself to ensemble humor.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 02:41:50 PM by CaseyAbell »

Pyramid80

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 02:37:10 PM »
LeAnn Hunley from Days of our Lives and then later Dynasty was also a celebrity guest on Pyramid and Super Password in the mid to late 80's.

gamed121683

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 02:51:35 PM »
Christopher Rich...He plays the dad on "Reba" now doesn't he?

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 03:31:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 01:51 PM\']Christopher Rich...He plays the dad on "Reba" now doesn't he?
[snapback]59207[/snapback]
[/quote]

Indeed he does. And I recognized Wayne Northup as the chauffeur on Dynasty and Deidre Hall as the star of ElectraWoman and DynaGirl.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 04:26:28 PM »
A question that the lack of scripted zingers on this H2 version reminded me of...just how and when did the disclaimer get onto the original version? This 1976 People story identifies Buddy Hackett as somebody who blabbed about the scripting and irritated Paul Lynde in the process. But the disclaimer appeared on the show long before 1976.

Anyhoo, the scripting looks necessary for entertainment value on H2. Otherwise, the game turns dry and slow, as on the MG/H2 Hour. Mark Goodson's scruples  really hurt here, though I can understand his squeamishness after the rigging scandals.

Pyramid80

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 04:50:01 PM »
I know this is probably crazy, but is there a way to copy a streaming video file?  I thought I would be able to save the file, but it won't open without being connected to the internet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 05:04:25 PM by Pyramid80 »

whewfan

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 05:12:07 PM »
I have one ep. from Soap Stars week, and just as the Soap stars that appeared on MG 90 and MG 98, no one on the panel really wanted to be there, especially Deidre Hall, who was way out of her element.

curtking

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 05:24:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 03:50 PM\']I know this is probably crazy, but is there a way to copy a streaming video file?  I thought I would be able to save the file, but it won't open without being connected to the internet.
[snapback]59219[/snapback]
[/quote]

Go find a program called NetTransport:

Net Transport

Once you install it, it adds options to the "right-click" menu in Internet Explorer.  If you right-click on one of the MG/HS "segment" links, you will be able to "Download by Net Transport".

The cool thing about NT is that it opens the .ram file and finds the real link, then downloads the actual file containing the audio/video.

NT is not freeware, but it nags you every so often to send the developer a donation.

Use this knowledge for good, not for evil.

Curt

Pyramid80

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 06:51:11 PM »
Thanks Curt, I'll have to give it a try.

Josh

adamjk

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 08:56:24 PM »
Very interesting. A few things I noticed:

-What exactly was the point of putting up the hollywood squares setup again just for the close? Don't get it.

-What an awkward close. It should have gone something like: "On behalf of Jon Bauman and all our stars, I'm Gene Rayburn inviting you all to join us again next time here on the Match Game/Hollywood Squares hour. So long."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 08:56:44 PM by adamjk »