Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Random  (Read 9902 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Random
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2004, 07:46:42 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 04:34 PM\'] In defense of the Sparks version, at least the maingame and bonus round largely stayed the same as the original, except for the lack of cars to be won in the maingame and the different scoring system. [/quote]
 Add in the fact that it blew Chunks*, and you more or less have it.

* "Chunks" is my dog.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Random
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2004, 08:43:41 PM »
On the subject of Cross-Wits, one of my random memories of watching the original (which I loved, but didn't get to see often) was the first clue coming up as "GODBLESS" and knowing that I would have won the car by coming up with the solution "Red Skelton".

What a twelve year old would have done with the car, though, is another matter.

It would be great if some more of those episodes would turn up.  The collecting community was all a-titter a while back when somebody announced that he had a lot of rare episodes, but he turned out to be lying in a tape trade scam.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

adamjk

Random
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 08:45:01 PM »
I don't recall that. Can someone fill me in?

clemon79

Random
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 09:34:38 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 05:45 PM\'] I don't recall that. Can someone fill me in? [/quote]
 Well, you see, someone said they had a bunch of old Crosswits episodes, and that got everyone very excited. Turns out, however, they were lying in an effort to get people to trade with them.

Boy, I sure missed you.

zachhoran

Random
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 09:37:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 08:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 05:45 PM\'] I don't recall that. Can someone fill me in? [/quote]
Well, you see, someone said they had a bunch of old Crosswits episodes, and that got everyone very excited. Turns out, however, they were lying in an effort to get people to trade with them.

Boy, I sure missed you. [/quote]
 ANother time people got excited regarding the possibility of seeing the 70s Cross-Wits again was in December 1997, when the little-seen cable network AIN(American Independent Network I believe it stands for) had Cross-Wits with Jack Clark in its listings. Soon after, someone who had the station watched it and it turned out to be the Sparks version.

ChuckNet

Random
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 10:11:11 PM »
The categories format was more like the original show, except that the same $500 elimination and $2000 win rules applied, IIRC. (I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will correct me as well.)

Indeed they will. :-) When they went to the category format, the elimination score for round 1 was upped to $1000.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

aaron sica

Random
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 10:59:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 08:43 PM\'] It would be great if some more of those episodes would turn up.  The collecting community was all a-titter a while back when somebody announced that he had a lot of rare episodes, but he turned out to be lying in a tape trade scam. [/quote]
 Absolutely, Matt.

I have vague memories of watching this show; I was only about 5 or 6 when it went off. I have the clip that's circulated around, with only a tiny bit of game play, but it's a great show, with the music used, Jeri Fiala, and everything.

I never stop holding out hope that one of the "lost" shows will find its way back to TV, and I hope this is one of them.

J.R.

Random
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 11:49:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 08:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 05:45 PM\'] I don't recall that. Can someone fill me in? [/quote]

Boy, I sure missed you. [/quote]
 And that pitiful excuse for a human was Danny Vosine.

He also stated that he had a ton of Woolery WOF.
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

GS Warehouse

Random
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 12:17:05 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 05:22 PM\'] [music jokes snipped]

Thank you, ladies and germs, I'll be here all night. [/quote]
 Is that a promise or a threat?

(Someone in another group actually cut me down like that when I ended an equally bad joke with that old line.)

Now it's nitpick time: On TJW90, round 1 ended when one player $500 ($1,000 in "classic mode"), not two.  Third place leaves with Lee Press-On Nails.

6. Who owns American Gladiators, 80's Dream House, and LMAD?
The Samuel Goldwyn Company (mostly a separate entity from MGM), don't know, and Monty Hall, respectively.

Seriously, my sarcasm detector exploded when I saw the original post.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Random
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 01:45:25 PM »
ANother time people got excited regarding the possibility of seeing the 70s Cross-Wits again was in December 1997, when the little-seen cable network AIN(American Independent Network I believe it stands for)
Not so much a cable network, its a bunch of low-end syndicated programming and reruns for small-town TV stations to air.

The other network that provides such programming is America One TV--they aired "Kidstreet", "The $1,000,000 Word Game (*cough*), and "Acting Crazy"--all Canuck games.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

Random
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 03:39:53 PM »
6. Who owns American Gladiators, 80's Dream House, and LMAD?

The Samuel Goldwyn Company (mostly a separate entity from MGM), don't know, and Monty Hall, respectively.

MGM acquired the original Samuel Goldwyn Company in 1997 and now Sony owns or is about to own "Gladiators."  Mr. Goldwyn, Jr. now owns the separate Samuel Goldwyn Films.

Viacom owns 80s "Dream House"--King World, to be exact, since they took over the former Group W Productions inventory.

golden-road

Random
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2004, 06:15:23 PM »
On The Cross-wits, other then the winner getting $1 a point, were there any other cash prizes?

clemon79

Random
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2004, 06:17:11 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Sep 30 2004, 03:15 PM\']On The Cross-wits, other then the winner getting $1 a point, were there any other cash prizes?
[snapback]59050[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not even 100% certain they got a buck a point. They might have gotten money for each answered clue in CrossFire if they failed to win, but I'm really not sure.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 06:17:44 PM by clemon79 »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Random
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2004, 06:25:35 PM »
From the fuzzy hazes of my then preschool memories:

They didn't get a buck a point for winning.  At some point, there was a bonus of $1,000 if the winning team got to 1000 points.  That might be where that comes from.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TimK2003

Random
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2004, 07:03:27 PM »
[/quote]
I'm not even 100% certain they got a buck a point. They might have gotten money for each answered clue in CrossFire if they failed to win, but I'm really not sure.
[snapback]59051[/snapback]
[/quote]

Indeed it was 10 Points/letter.

In the later episodes of "The Cross Wits" when one could win a car off of the first clue, the category/clue was never revealed until the first word was filled in on the board and the contestant either guessed for the car (also risking control of the board), or decided to skip the car challenge.

Earlier episodes like the 1/2 episode floating around showed the category/clue at the top of the round as there was no car bonus established yet.

Tim
(Getting used to this forum's new format...)