Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Random  (Read 10075 times)

golden-road

Random
« on: September 29, 2004, 02:40:35 PM »
I recieved a post from JRaygor suggesting I put all my queries in a single post. I shall attempt to do so now:

1. In the 30+ year history of Pyramid, what is the biggest total? Also, what was the biggest winner on the Davidson version?

2. On Davidson Hollywood Squares, did anyone go five days and automatically win a car? How did they fill the time? Also, did Stormy Sacks do the theme live? Finally, what was the biggest grand total, and what was the biggest cash total?

3. How did The Cross-Wits/Crosswits play?

4. When the Newlywed Game switched to money, what was the biggest cash total?

5. How did Joker90 play?

6. Who owns American Gladiators, 80's Dream House, and LMAD?

7. What was the biggest Big Deal on LMAD90?

8. On Bob Goen's Wheel of Fortune, did anybody play for and win the $5000
in the bonus round?

9. What was the biggest total win on Classic Concentration? What was the highest Cashpot?

10. What was the biggest win on Sale of the Century?

11. What was the biggest win on JOker90 & TTD 90?

12. Was the $100,000 won on the last episode of Trump Card?

13. What were the rules to the 1984 Jackpot pilot?

14. What were the rules to the Whammy! pilot?

15. What were the rules to the TNPiR'94 pilot?

Kevin Prather

Random
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 03:06:36 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 11:40 AM\'] 1. In the 30+ year history of Pyramid, what is the biggest total? [/quote]
 About $150,000, I believe.

BrandonFG

Random
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 03:17:55 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 01:40 PM\'] 5. How did Joker90 play?
 [/quote]
 Damn that's some list lol.

I can answer #5, but I haven't seen this show in 10 years, so my memory is very fuzzy.

There were three contestants in round one, and the first two to make $500 advanced to round two. The questions were more like "clues" or shorter versions of Jeopardy "answers."

I believe that in round one, each contestant spun the wheels, but instead of categories, there were dollar amounts, and the total amounts would be the value of each question. IIRC, after each spin, contestants chose from two categories.
I think it was only possible to get one Joker per spin, and in that case the dollar amount might've been multiplied, but I *do* remember the contestant had :15 to get through as many questions as possible.

For example:
50-25-20 and my choices are Game Shows or Comic Strips, $95 per question.

Round two might have been similar, just with higher dollar amounts, and the first to $2000 won. I don't think there were any Jokers in round two either.

In the bonus round, Pat read definitions to words, which the contestant tried to guess. However many they got in :60 was the number of spins they got on the board. The object was to freeze three of the same prize, with Jokers acting as wild cards. Three Jokers won a cash jackpot starting at $5,000.

Like I said, my memory is extremely hazy, so corrections are welcome, esp. with the revised format in mid-season. In retrospect, it wasn't a bad show, it just shouldn't have been TJW.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Random
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 04:01:07 PM »
You have GOT to be kidding me.

"Please tell me everything you know about game shows. Be sure to be complete and correct, and provide examples where necessary."

Joe: Bad idea. Better than 10,000 individual threads, but still.

Standby for a word from our moderators. <crossing fingers>

(To his credit, the thread is aptly named.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 04:03:55 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rigsby

Random
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 04:13:30 PM »
edited to remove a long quote that really isn't necessary.

About TJW90:  in the dollar format, the joker (which only appeared in the third window) tripled the dollar amount per question.  My recollection was that there were jokers in round two, but it's been quite a while since I've watched my copies.

The categories format was more like the original show, except that the same $500 elimination and $2000 win rules applied, IIRC.  (I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will correct me as well.)

As for another question:
11.  The biggest win on TTD90 was that of the viewers, when the show was canned.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 04:14:07 PM by rigsby »

alfonzos

Random
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 04:25:21 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 01:40 PM\']3. How did The Cross-Wits/Crosswits play?
[/quote]
I'll take a shot at this one. I used to watch this show when it aired weeknights during prime time access.

Two teams, each consisting of a celebrity and a peasant, faced a crossword puzzle consisting of eight to ten words. In turn, a team would call for the clue for one of the words. One player would take a guess and then the teammate would take a guess. After making a correct guess, the team had to guess what subject all the words had in common to win the round. If memory serves, each round was worth some amount of cash and the team who won the most cash would win an go on to the bonus round.

The bonus round was a lighning round; the team has to solve the ten words in a crossword puzzle in sixty seconds.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

Random
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 04:53:18 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 01:25 PM\'] Two teams, each consisting of a celebrity and a peasant, faced a crossword puzzle consisting of eight to ten words. In turn, a team would call for the clue for one of the words. One player would take a guess and then the teammate would take a guess. After making a correct guess, the team had to guess what subject all the words had in common to win the round. If memory serves, each round was worth some amount of cash and the team who won the most cash would win an go on to the bonus round.
 [/quote]
Kinda.

The teams were two celebs and a civvie. The civilian would call for a clue, which was given to whichever celebrity whose turn it was. (They would alternate within each team.) If the celeb was wrong or did not know, the player could pick it up. A right answer allowed a team to guess at the puzzle or pick another clue.

Guessing the puzzle involved the civilian calling for a "conference", which gave that team seven seconds to talk it over, and then the civilian would make a guess. An incorrect guess threw control over to the other team, so blind guessing was discouraged.

On the Jack Clark version, scoring was 10 points per letter in the guessed word, plus bonus points for guessing the puzzle. High score when time ran out played Crossfire, which played as you described, and any player who accumulated 1,000 points or more in the front game (this took a pretty major asskicking to accomplish) won a car.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 04:54:24 PM by clemon79 »

adamjk

Random
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 04:54:50 PM »
High score when time ran out played Crossfire, which played as you described, and any player who accumulated 1,000 points or more in the front game (this took a pretty major asskicking to accomplish) won a car.

Did that ever actually happen?

clemon79

Random
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 01:54 PM\']
High score when time ran out played Crossfire, which played as you described, and any player who accumulated 1,000 points or more in the front game (this took a pretty major asskicking to accomplish) won a car.

Did that ever actually happen? [/quote]
 I know I saw it at least once.

SamJ93

Random
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 05:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 01:40 PM\']Also, did Stormy Sacks do the theme live? [/quote]
Presumably, as it would have been quite difficult to compose music from the grave.  <rimshot>

Now if he was de-composing, on the other hand...<double rimshot>

Thank you, ladies and germs, I'll be here all night.

--Sam
(A music student walks by Beethoven's grave and hears the 9th symphony being played backwards...)
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

uncamark

Random
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 05:30:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 03:53 PM\']On the Jack Clark version, scoring was 10 points per letter in the guessed word, plus bonus points for guessing the puzzle. High score when time ran out played Crossfire, which played as you described, and any player who accumulated 1,000 points or more in the front game (this took a pretty major asskicking to accomplish) won a car.[/quote]
The other way to win was to guess the puzzle on only one completed word in either the second or first and second puzzles, if the contestant wanted to do that.  No conferring with their teammates and they only had 5 seconds to think it over (and control lost if incorrect).  That did happen a few times.

tvwxman

Random
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 05:52:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 04:30 PM\']
The other way to win was to guess the puzzle on only one completed word in either the second or first and second puzzles, if the contestant wanted to do that.  No conferring with their teammates and they only had 5 seconds to think it over (and control lost if incorrect).  That did happen a few times. [/quote]
 I remember Jack Clark bellowing everytime when the car was won...

"You.....Are.....RIGHT!!!!!!!".......

It was good dramatic and exciting tv....well at least, good tv for a 6 year old at the time...
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

Random
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 06:12:43 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 02:52 PM\'] It was good dramatic and exciting tv....well at least, good tv for a 6 year old at the time... [/quote]
The Clark Crosswits was just plain a great game show. Good host, good set (miles better than that Chyroned crap David Sparks subjected us to, never mind his performance), lots of playalong factor, and a neato theme.

Couple weeks ago we had a big barbecue to-do out in the parking lot here at Atari, complete with a steel-drum band. I was thinking how cool it would be if they did the Crosswits theme. I was then thinking that I would be the only person in that parking lot that would have recognized it as such. :)

(Okay. For my knocking the OP for his inane laundry list of questions, some interesting discussion came out of it. So I suppose it wasn't so bad.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:15:21 PM by clemon79 »

uncamark

Random
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 06:16:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 04:52 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 04:30 PM\']
The other way to win was to guess the puzzle on only one completed word in either the second or first and second puzzles, if the contestant wanted to do that.  No conferring with their teammates and they only had 5 seconds to think it over (and control lost if incorrect).  That did happen a few times. [/quote]
I remember Jack Clark bellowing everytime when the car was won...

"You.....Are.....RIGHT!!!!!!!".......

It was good dramatic and exciting tv....well at least, good tv for a 6 year old at the time...[/quote]
I liked the buildup he would so after the buzzer went off--"The car is washed and cleaned, the tank is filled, the keys are in the ignition, if you can solve the puzzle, what is your answer?"

I'd be tempted to say "so long, Jack," grab Jeri Fiala and put her in the back seat and drive off the set.  :)

zachhoran

Random
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 07:34:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 05:12 PM\'] The Clark Crosswits was just plain a great game show. Good host, good set (miles better than that Chyroned crap David Sparks subjected us to, never mind his performance), lots of playalong factor, and a neato theme.

[/quote]
 In defense of the Sparks version, at least the maingame and bonus round largely stayed the same as the original, except for the lack of cars to be won in the maingame and the different scoring system.