Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A game show fan's guide to L.A.  (Read 4062 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
A game show fan's guide to L.A.
« on: July 17, 2003, 08:58:55 PM »
Recently, I moved out to Los Angeles (It can be chilly in June? What in the world?). Besides attending tapings, what are some of the things that a game show fan does in L.A.? And for that matter, is anything besides TPiR taping right now?

Scott Robinson

Pyramid80

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 10:00:02 PM »
Great question Scott!  I am going to be going to LA next summer for a few game show tapings and am wondering what else there is to do.  Do any sit-coms tape in LA?  I need some suggestions too.

Josh

catkins522

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 11:12:06 PM »
Try these for starters...  All are free.  All you need is to print out the tickets and maybe call 2 weeks before you go...

http://www.freetvshows.com/index.htm
http://www.ocatv.com/
http://www.tvtix.com/
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

GameShowFan

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 11:29:46 PM »
Most of the game shows are in pre-production right now, and should start up at the beginning of August. The sites Charles noted above are good starts towards getting tickets. You can also call CBS and NBC Guest Relations to find out when particular shows tape. You may even be able to walk up to the Guest Relations window at Television City and pick up tickets there. (Anyone know if it's still open?)

SplitSecond

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 02:39:02 AM »
The Guest Relations window is open, but has been moved to a booth at the entrance on Fairfax.

Hollywood Squares begins taping the first weekend of August.  The Price is Right tapes this coming week (through the 24th) and then resumes on August 18.

jdhernandez

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 06:49:40 AM »
Yeah, I can't believe this weather either, but here goes...

there are quite a few shows starting up soon, like H2, WoF, and Jeopardy...for starters. I'm sure Feud and Pyramid will start up again very soon.

In the meantime, one thing that has been seemingly getting popular lately (only because I have gotten a few emails about it lately) is going to the Museum of TV and Radio! That is one think many game show fans do around here, especially lately. While I'm here, I might as well plug the ol' site here:
http://members.fortunecity.com/jd83/mtr.html

The hours are now noon to 5pm Wed-Sun...so get there early. =D

What else...you could also check out the UCLA archives, as they have some uber-rare classic shows in there.

As for sitcoms in LA....several sitcoms tape in LA, Burbank, etc. Unfortunately, with the steady increase of mindless reality shows, more of THOSE are taping, as well...

Personally, there are plenty of things to do around here, especially a favorite pasttime of mine, attending baseball games. Hey, why not watch the Dodgers play for as low as six bucks?  Sporting events with other game show people can be quite fun, mind you. =D

-Jason Hernandez

ObGameShows: The Dodgers appeared on \"Sports Challenge.\" .....so I couldn't come up with a better one. Bite me. =P
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 08:07:42 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Jul 17 2003, 07:58 PM\']Besides attending tapings, what are some of the things that a game show fan does in L.A.? [/quote]
I recommend buying martinis for announcers. The stories are free   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 11:28:02 AM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 03:49 AM\'] ObGameShows: The Dodgers appeared on "Sports Challenge." .....so I couldn't come up with a better one. Bite me. =P [/quote]
 I'll help ya out.

After they won the Series in 1988, five of the Dodgers (well, four and bullpen coach Mark Cresse) went on the Combs Feud to square off against five Oakland A's. My one vivid memory of that week was relief pitcher Alejandro Pena responding to ONE question...the rest of the freakin' week he would shrug and take his automatic strike. If only the pitches he threw were as automatic. Nimrod.

Oh, by the way, his one answer was a strike, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 02:53:24 PM »
Even though they aren't currently offering any game shows (unless you consider \"America's Funniest Home Videos\" a game show), there's also Audiences Unlimited at www.tvtickets.com, which is the place to go for sitcoms, including two that are shooting in New York (\"Whoopi\" and \"Hope and Faith\").

They also mention that \"Whose Line?\" is out of production because people see the damn show on ABC and hope they can get in.  Nope--there are still 22 unaired episodes of that show that ABC hasn't gotten to yet.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 03:13:33 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 11:53 AM\'] They also mention that "Whose Line?" is out of production because people see the damn show on ABC and hope they can get in.  Nope--there are still 22 unaired episodes of that show that ABC hasn't gotten to yet. [/quote]
 Which is, I would assume, why they are double-pounding them on Friday nights (much to the delight of my Tivo...)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 11:50:03 PM »
And I closed-captioned most of those as-yet-unaired episodes in a big batch at the end of May/beginning of June.  I swear, I sometimes wake up and catch myself typing \"Drew: GOOD EVENING, EVERYBODY, AND WELCOME (enter) TO \"WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY?\" ON TONIGHT'S SHOW...\" in my sleep.  (It is a fun show to caption, though.)
trainman is a man of trains