Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN2?  (Read 4042 times)

tvmitch

GSN2?
« on: September 24, 2004, 10:08:13 AM »
Not to rehash a "popular" thread on here, but this came down the wires yesterday...a story in Financial Times says that Sony and Comcast plan to create three new cable networks. Who says one of them couldn't be GSNClassic? Ha.

Link

Please refrain from expanding this into a "I think GSN2 would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" thread. Just something I thought y'all would like to see.
You should follow me on Twitter

aaron sica

GSN2?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 10:13:25 AM »
Another thing mentioned was a video on-demand feature between Comcast and Sony. Perhaps some game shows from GSN's library, on demand, could be a possibility.

sshuffield70

GSN2?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 10:31:56 AM »
And to add to that story is that MGM deal is expected to go through for about $5 billion.

zachhoran

GSN2?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 10:44:33 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 09:31 AM\'] And to add to that story is that MGM deal is expected to go through for about $5 billion. [/quote]
 And does this mean we'll see Sex Wars on GSN soon? Probably not.

CaseyAbell

GSN2?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »
If you want to know more about the three networks, check here, here and here.

The last two look pretty generic, the first is a cartoon channel.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:40:57 PM by CaseyAbell »

GS Warehouse

GSN2?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 01:59:46 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 10:08 AM\'] Please refrain from expanding this into a "I think GSN2 would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" thread. [/quote]
 I think GSN2 would be a money pit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that, Mitch? :-)  I'm not alone in saying that GSN transition notwithstanding, the novelty of a network specializing in game shows is wearing off.

If you want to know more about the three networks, check here, here and here.  (Note: Only the second link is left active.)
Looks like Sony is going through with that AXN channel.  With MGM's TV and post-1985 movie libraries in tow, they now have the material to do it.

Although this forum is not the most fitting of those I belong to for this comment:  You know America is going down the tubes when a Japanese megaconglomerate owns two of the US of A's most storied movie studios.  Talk about outsourcing!

Terry K

GSN2?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 02:09:07 PM »
Actually, the other two channels look like general entertainment ones.

Seeing the other two air mostly american shows anyway, they're ones that Sony doesn't have the rights to show in the US.  Sony would be forced mainly to launch a competing channel to TV Land.  (which wouldn't be a bad thing entirely)

Consulting the game show library isn't a bad thing at all =)

uncamark

GSN2?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 04:02:08 AM »
As I said before when the rumors were first made about Sony acquiring MGM, the most likely addition to the GSN lineup would be "American Gladiators."  It's been run on other cable channels, but not in prime time and would be the most obvious addition, considering GSN's mindset, "WBSM" or no "WBSM."

CaseyAbell

GSN2?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 02:03:26 PM »
You know America is going down the tubes when a Japanese megaconglomerate owns two of the US of A's most storied movie studios.
Take the xenophobia elsewhere. A glance at the links for a couple of the networks shows a lot of American TV on screens in other countries. Are they all going down the tubes, too?

tvwxman

GSN2?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 08:21:21 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 09:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 09:31 AM\'] And to add to that story is that MGM deal is expected to go through for about $5 billion. [/quote]
And does this mean we'll see Sex Wars on GSN soon? Probably not. [/quote]
 Shhh. Don't give em any ideas.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JayC

GSN2?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 08:34:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 03:02 AM\'] As I said before when the rumors were first made about Sony acquiring MGM, the most likely addition to the GSN lineup would be "American Gladiators."  It's been run on other cable channels, but not in prime time and would be the most obvious addition, considering GSN's mindset, "WBSM" or no "WBSM." [/quote]
 Actually, it was on in primetime on The New TNN (Spike TV).  It was on at 8:00pm et on Saturdays.  It would be really great to see AG on TV again, and hopefully it would be all the seasons, not just the 4 that Spike showed.