Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winner Take All  (Read 10618 times)

Matt Ottinger

Winner Take All
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 03:45:14 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 01:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 09:21 PM\'] I can pop my tapes in any time I want to see Winner Take All [/quote]
Implying that someone aired this before?  How many episodes survived?
 [/quote]
 I keep forgetting we have relative newcomers.

Back in the early years of GSN, they filled their program day with, at one time or another, just about every imaginable thing they had in their vast vaults.  We curious fringe element would get a kick out of the more bizarre offerings, such as What's Going On? or the ever-popular Diamond Head Game.  None of these obscurities were on the air regularly for any real length of time, but they all popped up here and there.  

This dusting off of some of GSN's more musty "classics" (are we really going to get Number, Please?) is reminding us a lot of those giddy early years.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

melman1

Winner Take All
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 09:30:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 12:45 PM\'] I keep forgetting we have relative newcomers.
 [/quote]
 That doesn't have anything to do with it.  If I spent the next ten years here, I still would not develop an encyclopedic knowledge of shows like this...
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

RMF

Winner Take All
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2004, 10:36:42 PM »
To answer your question, GSN has aired (one or two?) Cullen episode(s) and a Gray episode in the past.

Matt Ottinger

Winner Take All
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 10:43:38 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 09:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 12:45 PM\'] I keep forgetting we have relative newcomers.
 [/quote]
That doesn't have anything to do with it.  If I spent the next ten years here, I still would not develop an encyclopedic knowledge of shows like this... [/quote]
My goodness, somebody's got a thin skin.  I certainly meant no harm by recognizing you haven't been around since day one, but it doesn't take having memorized their entire schedule to know this show has aired before.  Now that you've seen it, I bet ten years from now, if the subject were to come up, you'll remember that GSN's aired it before.  And that's all I did.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 10:45:48 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

melman1

Winner Take All
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 12:17:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 07:43 PM\'] My goodness, somebody's got a thin skin. [/quote]
 No, not at all.

it doesn't take having memorized their entire schedule to know this show has aired

I don't know these old shows and won't remember them 6 months from now.  It'll go in one ear and out the other.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Ian Wallis

Winner Take All
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 08:49:26 AM »
I understand the logic behind growing systems like TV Land and, yes, even GSN getting away from the old and into the new, but it just seems like there could be more of the tiny guys who'd be willing to dig into vaults and show us oldies, even for camp value.

THat's what I've been wondering about for years now.  It seems that most TV channels don't even acknowledge that anything existed before about 1980 (with the possible exception of a few shows on TVLand).

It's too bad...those of us who are too young to have experienced TV's "golden years" will likely never get a chance to see that stuff now.  From reading old TVGuides from the '50s, some of that stuff would be quite interesting even from a nostalgia point of view.  I guess there's just not enough money in it for someone to consider it, and we all know that money makes the world go round...

Back in the early years of GSN, they filled their program day with, at one time or another, just about every imaginable thing they had in their vast vaults. We curious fringe element would get a kick out of the more bizarre offerings, such as What's Going On? or the ever-popular Diamond Head Game. None of these obscurities were on the air regularly for any real length of time, but they all popped up here and there.

Most of us long for those days of GSN.  When they first went on the air in 1994, and up until about 1998, their schedule was ALL game shows and was a joy to watch.  They actually used their vault back then!!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

CaseyAbell

Winner Take All
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 09:36:24 AM »
It's too bad...those of us who are too young to have experienced TV's "golden years" will likely never get a chance to see that stuff now. From reading old TVGuides from the '50s, some of that stuff would be quite interesting even from a nostalgia point of view.
To be brutally honest, much of the fifties/sixties stuff I've revisited on Good Life TV looks more faded than a three-week-old bouquet. Maverick was a particularly nasty disappointment. Its corny spoof of westerns just seems like a weak joke now. Maybe the joke had more bite when westerns ruled the airwaves, but those days are long gone and have taken the point of Maverick's joke with them. If anything, the solemn Cheyenne comes across as a little more sincere, though the storylines move more slowly than Clint Walker's facial expressions.

77 Sunset Strip occasionally surprises me with offbeat humor, but the show gets tedious when it focuses on the detecting instead of the joking. Combat deservedly made Vic Morrow a star, but too much of the show looks like what it was, a cheap  imitation of war on a studio back lot. The color Honeymooners episodes are too loud and garish, even if Gleason and Carney still work well together.

The other real old stuff on the network - Bronco, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside Six, Gallant Men, the FBI - is acceptable at best, embarrassing at worst. The Golden Age of television may shine more brightly in memory than in actual phosphors.

When they first went on the air in 1994, and up until about 1998, their schedule was ALL game shows and was a joy to watch.
As I number-crunched on the WBSM thread, the programming hours on the 10/11 schedule are over ninety percent game shows. So you should find at least a little joy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 09:37:31 AM by CaseyAbell »

zachhoran

Winner Take All
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2004, 09:59:15 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 08:36 AM\']
As I number-crunched on the WBSM thread, the programming hours on the 10/11 schedule are over ninety percent game shows. So you should find at least a little joy. [/quote]
 What Ian and some don't care much for about GSN these days as opposed to then is back in the 90s they were more of a niche network now, only usually available on satellite early on. At the time, they showed more than their share of more obscure, short-lived shows from the Goodson-Todman archives and later from the Sony-owned archives. The only obscure, fairly short-lived show from back in the day on the schedule now is Cullen Blockbusters.

Jimmy Owen

Winner Take All
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 11:27:33 AM »
With the west coast feed in place and less of a need for same day repeats, I'm hoping for regular runs late at night of some of the '70's color classics with a more than a few episodes available.  The BTBs, PTBs and NYSIs.  The mid to late 70's TTTTs, etc.  I was lucky enough to have GSN during the Sunday Night in B&W days, so I have seen most of their monochrome inventory, though I am happy that they are still being shown.  Perhaps an hour a day could be devoted to the 70's retro shows, in the same manner as the B&W's.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CaseyAbell

Winner Take All
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2004, 11:31:46 AM »
Oh boy, we've been around this block before. The trick is that what's "obscure" to game show freaks like us and what's "obscure" to the Great American Unwashed are two really different things.

If you randomly selected a hundred members of the G.A.W. and asked, "What is The Name's the Same?" you'd almost certainly get a hundred blank stares. If you substituted many other shows on GSN's schedule - Card Sharks, Hollywood Showdown, Press Your Luck, etc. - you'd probably do ninety-plus in the "duh?" department.

I'm afraid to speculate on how even sainted classics like Match Game and What's My Line might score. In fact, this sounds like a good question for Street Smarts...but almost nobody would know what Street Smarts is, either.

GSN may not seem niche-y enough to us freaks. But to the average couch potato, the network is ridiculously far out on the fringes of nichedom. Nothing  else in this country's TV universe comes close to GSN in its devotion to game shows for grownups. Even a real nicher like the Weather Channel has a similar competitor on my system's NOAA channel. But GSN truly stands alone.

Which is why I have to smile a little when posters say that GSN doesn't dig deep enough into its vaults. Maybe by the standards of game show afficianados, the network doesn't offer enough rarities...though the title show of this thread looks pretty rare to even moi.

But by the standards of the overwhelming majority of TV viewers, GSN programs dozens of hours of old rarities each week. Try finding Match Game or What's My Line anywhere else on TV for a little insight into how truly rare they are.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 12:10:17 PM by CaseyAbell »

tomobrien

Winner Take All
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2004, 11:48:33 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 07:36 AM\']
To be brutally honest, much of the fifties/sixties stuff I've revisited on Good Life TV looks more faded than a three-week-old bouquet. <snip>

The other real old stuff on the network - Bronco, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside Six, Gallant Men, the FBI - is acceptable at best, embarrassing at worst. The Golden Age of television may shine more brightly in memory than in actual phosphors.[/quote]
Part of your opinion comes from the caliber of what you're seeing.  Most of the shows you mention were done by Warner Bros. for ABC, which was still a struggling third back in the late 50s/early 60s...and most of those shows weren't considered all that good even back then.
If you want a better idea into the "Golden Age," pick up a real classic, such as the DVD release of the Studio One production of Reginald Rose's "The Defender."  Strong script, fine acting and an incredibly thought-provoking (and morally ambiguous) ending.  It still holds up against anything on TV today.

Jimmy Owen

Winner Take All
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2004, 11:54:14 AM »
Have to disagree on "Maverick," still a great show, with wonderful dialogue.  Jack Kelly's second best show (after $otc)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CaseyAbell

Winner Take All
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2004, 11:59:36 AM »
Part of your opinion comes from the caliber of what you're seeing. Most of the shows you mention were done by Warner Bros. for ABC, which was still a struggling third back in the late 50s/early 60s...and most of those shows weren't considered all that good even back then.
I have to disagree on several of Good Life's shows. Maverick, Combat, Cheyenne, Gallant Men all got at least decent reviews. Try this for a typically respectful view of Maverick from a later critic. Even the self-deprecating goofiness of 77 Sunset Strip earned some critical kudos. Unfortunately, the shows don't stand up particularly well today, though of course each offers some watchable moments. And needless to say but I'll say it anyway, this is only my opinion and your mileage may vary.

In all honesty, what I mostly remember about The Defenders was its  preachiness and solemnity. So I'm a little afraid to have my memories confirmed.

I don't want to sound purely negative on fifties and sixties TV. Whenever I see the Dick Van Dyke show, I like what I see a lot. Mr. Van Dyke was an appealing and physically talented performer surrounded by a terrific supporting cast. But too often my warm and fuzzy memories of old television take a drubbing when I actually watch old television.

EDIT: These posts are starting to look like chapters from one of Tolstoy's lengthier efforts, but a few examples of what I'm talking about...

The color Honeymooners episodes hadn't been seen on TV for almost forty years, so I sampled a couple. I really really wanted them to be good, so my old memories of Ralph and Norton yelping at each other wouldn't suffer too much.

Well, they weren't a crushing disappointment, though everything looked too pretty in color and the musical numbers were distracting and often uninspired. The Gleason-Carney chemistry still clicked, but much of the material sounded tired and cliched.

Another example...a particular episode of Gallant Men. As I watched the show it suddenly dawned on me that it was leading to what I remembered as a vivid and extremely violent battle scene.

So I sat through the scene. And literally laughed out loud. I couldn't believe that even my naive boyhood self had accepted this as anything approaching real warfare. The scene consisted of a couple dozen cheap extras in German uniforms running around some, then falling down (often not too convincingly) and playing dead. If the Italian campaign in WW2 had remotely resembled this farce, the Allies would have taken Italy in twenty minutes.

So no, sometimes it's better to let sleeping memories lie.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 01:11:03 PM by CaseyAbell »

Don Howard

Winner Take All
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2004, 01:35:46 PM »
Ah, yes, good ole Quinn Martin's The F...B...I, as Hank Sims would say before telling us the star was EFREM ZIMBALIST!!!! JUNIOR. Warm, happy memories.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 01:41:30 PM by Don Howard »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Winner Take All
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2004, 02:33:00 AM »
In fact, this sounds like a good question for Street Smarts...but almost nobody would know what Street Smarts is, either.

It might surprise you about how many of the college-aged kids do in fact know about Street Smarts.  Some company came and performed a game show for us today..[I wasn't on campus], but Sara told me that it was just like "Street Smarts"--and that "Street Smarts" is the dumbest game show there is.

As I number-crunched on the WBSM thread, the programming hours on the 10/11 schedule are over ninety percent game shows.
I don't get why you have to stuff statistics down our throats every time someone makes a remote refrence to not liking the schedule.  So what if the schedule is 90% game shows? 95% of those game shows, a certain person might not give a damn about.  If someone doesn't like GSN schedule, that's their opinion, they don't need you reminding them what fraction of GSN's schedule is a "game show"; considering some people have a far-out definition of what a game show is.

But by the standards of the overwhelming majority of TV viewers, GSN programs dozens of hours of old rarities each week. Try finding Match Game or What's My Line anywhere else on TV for a little insight into how truly rare they are.
They won't be on any other station, because GSN owns the rights to air them.  Your point is null, void, and stupid.  It'd be like telling someone to find "Fear Factor" repeats on another station; when infact; FX is the only station that can rerun them (besids NBC).
So no, sometimes it's better to let sleeping memories lie.
On the other hand, you can wade through the new crap on NBC as well.  Your point?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 02:33:15 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13