Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration  (Read 9621 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Classic Concentration
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 04:46:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 03:14 PM\'] Hyatt also has Scrabble/Scattergories as 12-1 occupants, when many stations ran it from 3-4.  I'm guessing there were multiple feeds. [/quote]
Multiple is right.  In Chicago, SCRABBLE93/SCATTERGORIES ran from 10AM-11AM CT (before the feed times you mentioned).  At least they weren't on a one-day delay (like CBS-owned WBBM did for many years with its daytime lineup).

Doug -- What do you know?  I'm midway between 600 and 700!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 04:47:26 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

Classic Concentration
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 05:32:44 PM »
Indeed...

Scranton/WB's WBRE ran the two shows from 10am-11am, and Lancaster's WGAL ran it from 3pm-4pm...

adamjk

Classic Concentration
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 06:46:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 12:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 07:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 07:34 PM\'] When you're dealing with two people, each of whom likes hearing the sound of his own voice more than anything else, you're going to run into problems like this.  Per EOTVGS3, Adam is right that the Concentration reruns ended in 1993.  Zach wasn't focusing on that -- he was simply giving his opinion in answering Adam's question, an opinion which no doubt would have been the same had Concentration run for those extra two weeks in 1994.

[/quote]
I wasn't questioning what he said as to how long the show would have went though, but rather just correcting his error. That's all it was. [/quote]
Dude...please just admit it if you're wrong!
Zach, for once, gave a reasonable answer to a question...and you're once again quibbling with minutae (sp). [/quote]
 Oh boy, here we go with the whole being wrong thing again.  What's wrong with trying to correct information on something? Nothing, that's what.

Don Howard

Classic Concentration
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2004, 06:56:31 PM »
Two things. First thing: WKYC-TV 3 in Cleveland ran Scrabble and Scattergories from 11am-noon.
Second thing: A poll. When will Adam finally get banned? My guess (based entirely on wishful thinking) is September 2004.

ChuckNet

Classic Concentration
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2004, 07:03:06 PM »
But, Hyatt also has Scrabble/Scattergories as 12-1 occupants, when many stations ran it from 3-4. I'm guessing there were multiple feeds.

3-4 was the "official" time slots for these 2 shows, as they were replacements for the low-rated soap Santa Barbara.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Classic Concentration
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2004, 08:01:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 03:56 PM\'] Second thing: A poll. When will Adam finally get banned? My guess (based entirely on wishful thinking) is September 2004. [/quote]
 Never happen. It's been established long ago that being stupid isn't a crime around here, no matter how much it might disrupt normally intelligent discussion.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

Classic Concentration
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 09:14:12 AM »
NBC's daytime sked went kaflooey in 1991.

Here, "Caesar's Challenge" aired at 12:30 all through its run, so when it switched to two eps a day, we only got the second one.

"Scrabble" and "Scattegories" were seen from 11-noon.  

Talking about NBC's schedule going klafooey...the last episode of the original "Scrabble" that's circulating came from KNBC Los Angeles.  I believe at that time (March 1990) they were airing that at something like 4 a.m.  How could a network O&O in a huge city air a program at that time?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

Classic Concentration
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 09:27:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 08:14 AM\'] Talking about NBC's schedule going klafooey...the last episode of the original "Scrabble" that's circulating came from KNBC Los Angeles.  I believe at that time (March 1990) they were airing that at something like 4 a.m.  How could a network O&O in a huge city air a program at that time? [/quote]
I think that in late 1989 or early 1990, the O&Os started carrying Steve Doocy's House Party, a program that was intended to revolutionize daytime programming. In New York, I believe Scrabble was shifted to 9am. But 4am in LA? How odd.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 09:39:54 AM by Don Howard »

aaron sica

Classic Concentration
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 09:32:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 09:27 AM\'] I think that in late 1989 or early 1990, the O&Os started carrying Steve Doocy's House Party, a program that was intended to revolutionize daytime programming. In New York, I believe Scrabble was shifted to 9am. But 4am in LA? How odd.
 [/quote]
 Actually, some non-NBC O&O's carried it, too...WJZ-13 in Baltimore (now CBS, then ABC) carried the show. As did KYW-3 in Philly, which *was* NBC then (now CBS). I think a lot of Group-W stations may have carried it as well...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Classic Concentration
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 10:19:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 08:14 AM\'] Talking about NBC's schedule going klafooey...the last episode of the original "Scrabble" that's circulating came from KNBC Los Angeles.  I believe at that time (March 1990) they were airing that at something like 4 a.m.  How could a network O&O in a huge city air a program at that time? [/quote]
 If memory serves, KNBC had also aired the CLASSIC CONCENTRATION reruns at something like 2:35AM for awhile, before bringing them back to a more reasonable hour toward the end.  I think WRC in Washington also gave the CC reruns a pre-TODAY slot as well.

At least WMAQ in Chicago kept them in the daytime (but gave DOCTOR DEAN a 5AM slot in order to carry this little-heralded show hosted by someone named Jerry).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

Classic Concentration
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 02:00:55 AM »
And it seemed to me that by then NBC was feeding all of its daytime shows overnight for the affiliates to put in wherever they wanted--which they may very well be doing today with "Days" and "Passions."

ChuckNet

Classic Concentration
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2004, 09:39:43 PM »
I think that in late 1989 or early 1990, the O&Os started carrying Steve Doocy's House Party, a program that was intended to revolutionize daytime programming. In New York, I believe Scrabble was shifted to 9am.

No, it actually moved to 3:30 PM, right after Classic Concentration at 3...I remember thinking how cool it was as a kid to be able to come home from school and watch them for that brief time period in 90.

As for HP, it basically wound up being little more than "before they were stars" fodder following Doocy's hitting the big time on Fox & Friends in the late 90s.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Classic Concentration
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 11:14:20 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 08:39 PM\']
No, it actually moved to 3:30 PM, right after Classic Concentration at 3...I remember thinking how cool it was as a kid to be able to come home from school and watch them for that brief time period in 90.

[/quote]
 As per TV Guide Philly edition, Scrabble continued on WNBC until September 1990, almost six months after NBC dropped the show. I guess they would have been reruns :)

trainman

Classic Concentration
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2004, 01:45:16 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 25 2004, 10:00 PM\'] And it seemed to me that by then NBC was feeding all of its daytime shows overnight for the affiliates to put in wherever they wanted--which they may very well be doing today with "Days" and "Passions." [/quote]
 I don't get to see NBC's actual feeds anymore, but I'm 99% sure they're still doing this.

Not that this has much to do with game shows, but I might as well get this firsthand knowledge out of my brain: as of late 1998, the overnight feed times were "Sunset Beach" at 3:00 A.M., "Another World" at 4:00, "DOOL" at 5:00, and "Leeza" at 6:00 (in reverse order of their airtimes on the "official" NBC daytime schedule).  There were also feeds at certain times during the day for stations that wanted to take them "live"...if I recall correctly, for example, "Leeza" was also fed at 10:00, 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00 Eastern.

Incidentally, at the time, same-day "Sunset Beach" reruns were airing at 3:04 A.M....I wondered if any affiliates ever got confused about which feed they should be taking and ended up showing the wrong day's "Sunset Beach" at some point.
trainman is a man of trains