Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration  (Read 9623 times)

adamjk

Classic Concentration
« on: September 19, 2004, 07:47:02 PM »
I was just thinking, what would have become of Classic Concentration, had NBC decided to not cancel it in 1991? Would it still be on today? I somehow doubt it, but what do you guys think? If you think it wouldn't be on today, then how much longer would it have lasted?

zachhoran

Classic Concentration
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 07:56:05 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 06:47 PM\'] I was just thinking, what would have become of Classic Concentration, had NBC decided to not cancel it in 1991? Would it still be on today? I somehow doubt it, but what do you guys think? If you think it wouldn't be on today, then how much longer would it have lasted? [/quote]
 I doubt it'd have gone past January 1994, as that's when NBC axed the last hour devoted to game shows(reruns of Concentration and Caesar's Challenge), and turned it back to the local stations.

adamjk

Classic Concentration
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 07:59:59 PM »
I thought that happened in 93, for CC anyway.

Rastaub

Classic Concentration
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 08:17:20 PM »
Wait a minute, in your opening post you asked how long you thought it would have run if its first run episodes werent cancelled in 91, then Zach gave you his opinion, and you're questioning it.

He gave you his opinion, which is most likely what CC's fate would have been.  

Would you prefer if I said I thought it would have run till 2000.

zachhoran

Classic Concentration
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 08:19:53 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 06:59 PM\'] I thought that happened in 93, for CC anyway. [/quote]
 Adam is right this time, Classic Concentration reruns did end on 12/31/93. The first two weeks of 1994 saw a double pump of Caesar's CHallenge in that time slot.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Classic Concentration
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 08:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 06:59 PM\'] I thought that happened in 93, for CC anyway. [/quote]
To be technical, NBC's last airing of CLASSIC CONCENTRATION was 12/31/93.  NBC ran CAESAR'S CHALLENGE for two weeks in CONCENTRATION's time slot (plus its own time slot)--making way for Jane Whitney's syndicated talk show to move to the net.

EDIT:  Zach beat me by two minutes (my fingers don't fly like his apparently).  It never woulda happened if I had known he was reading the message at the same time, as I wouldn't have bothered posting (dang bandwidth issues ;-) ).  Not that it's a bad thing.

Doug
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:55:25 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

Classic Concentration
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 08:34:47 PM »
When you're dealing with two people, each of whom likes hearing the sound of his own voice more than anything else, you're going to run into problems like this.  Per EOTVGS3, Adam is right that the Concentration reruns ended in 1993.  Zach wasn't focusing on that -- he was simply giving his opinion in answering Adam's question, an opinion which no doubt would have been the same had Concentration run for those extra two weeks in 1994.

Would Zach have been technically more correct if he'd said that Caesar's Challenge was the last game show aired, instead of saying that that show and Concentration were the last two aired?  Sure.  Would Adam have been better off focusing on the actual answer to his question instead of looking for a reason to say something -- anything at all?  Definitely.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:47:15 PM by dzinkin »

adamjk

Classic Concentration
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 07:34 PM\'] When you're dealing with two people, each of whom likes hearing the sound of his own voice more than anything else, you're going to run into problems like this.  Per EOTVGS3, Adam is right that the Concentration reruns ended in 1993.  Zach wasn't focusing on that -- he was simply giving his opinion in answering Adam's question, an opinion which no doubt would have been the same had Concentration run for those extra two weeks in 1994.

[/quote]
 I wasn't questioning what he said as to how long the show would have went though, but rather just correcting his error. That's all it was.

Jimmy Owen

Classic Concentration
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 09:05:37 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 06:47 PM\'] I was just thinking, what would have become of Classic Concentration, had NBC decided to not cancel it in 1991? Would it still be on today? I somehow doubt it, but what do you guys think? If you think it wouldn't be on today, then how much longer would it have lasted? [/quote]
 It would still be on today had it not been cancelled.  I don't think NBC would have commissioned any new production, though.  They would still just run the 87-91 eps.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

J.R.

Classic Concentration
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 09:39:33 PM »
Isn't it true that Alex Trebek, on his own, approched NBC and asked if they could bring the show back on First-run eps for the 1992-93 season and was kindly told to go jump in a lake ?

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 09:40:22 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

Classic Concentration
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 09:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 08:39 PM\'] Isn't it true that Alex Trebek, on his own, approched NBC and asked if they could bring the show back on First-run eps for the 1992-93 season and was kindly told to go jump in a lake ?

[/quote]
 Alex did indeed try to convince NBC and/or Goodson to do new episodes. But NBC's argument was that new episodes would do no better in the ratings than the reruns they were airing at the time.

Ian Wallis

Classic Concentration
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 09:05:13 AM »
Adam is right this time, Classic Concentration reruns did end on 12/31/93. The first two weeks of 1994 saw a double pump of Caesar's CHallenge in that time slot.

Which didn't make a whole lot of sense because many stations aired News in the first of those slots (12 noon in the East) meaning they only saw every other episode for those two weeks.

It was during that group of shows that a car was won two days in a row.  I remember Ahmad saying "we gave away a car yesterday", and thinking that they must have skipped a show.  I didn't see those missed shows until USA ran them later in the year.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Classic Concentration
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 12:28:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 08:05 AM\'] Which didn't make a whole lot of sense because many stations aired News in the first of those slots (12 noon in the East) meaning they only saw every other episode for those two weeks. [/quote]
Was 12N ET the designated feed time for the two CCs?  It seems to me like NBC ran the daytime line-up in 1993-94 almost as though it were syndicated (I believe the two shows aired at 9AM and 9:30 local time in both Chicago and NYC--same deal with L.A., although IIRC the two shows were reversed).  It wasn't like the late 80s where there was pretty much a set time for each show to air (although affiliates had the option, of course, of not carrying a program or shifting it to another time slot).

Doug
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:28:59 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Classic Concentration
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 01:02:32 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 07:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 07:34 PM\'] When you're dealing with two people, each of whom likes hearing the sound of his own voice more than anything else, you're going to run into problems like this.  Per EOTVGS3, Adam is right that the Concentration reruns ended in 1993.  Zach wasn't focusing on that -- he was simply giving his opinion in answering Adam's question, an opinion which no doubt would have been the same had Concentration run for those extra two weeks in 1994.

[/quote]
I wasn't questioning what he said as to how long the show would have went though, but rather just correcting his error. That's all it was. [/quote]
 Dude...please just admit it if you're wrong!
Zach, for once, gave a reasonable answer to a question...and you're once again quibbling with minutae (sp).
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Classic Concentration
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 04:14:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 11:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 08:05 AM\'] Which didn't make a whole lot of sense because many stations aired News in the first of those slots (12 noon in the East) meaning they only saw every other episode for those two weeks. [/quote]
Was 12N ET the designated feed time for the two CCs?  It seems to me like NBC ran the daytime line-up in 1993-94 almost as though it were syndicated (I believe the two shows aired at 9AM and 9:30 local time in both Chicago and NYC--same deal with L.A., although IIRC the two shows were reversed).  It wasn't like the late 80s where there was pretty much a set time for each show to air (although affiliates had the option, of course, of not carrying a program or shifting it to another time slot).

Doug [/quote]
 The affils could put it anywhere.  Based on where the shows aired in Michigan, two stations had the duo at 11-noon and two stations had only "Concentration" at 12:30pm. NBC's daytime sked went kaflooey in 1991. The Concentration reruns replaced "Cover to Cover" which was on at 11:30 eastern, as mentioned, NBC abandoned designated feed times about that time.  Wesley Hyatt's book has Caesar at 12:30pm and Conc. at Noon, with the Rashad skein (Variety-speak utilized for, well, variety) moving to Noon in 94. But, Hyatt also has Scrabble/Scattergories as 12-1 occupants, when many stations ran it from 3-4.  I'm guessing there were multiple feeds.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.