Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Catty comments on "WWt marry my dad?"  (Read 3910 times)

Blaq

Catty comments on "WWt marry my dad?"
« on: July 16, 2003, 08:58:59 AM »
The Toronto Star's Vinay Menon penned a column on the demise of reality TV, saving plenty of ink for \"Who wants to marry my Dad?\", which premiered this past Monday. I thought I'd share his observations based on the closing credits' copious disclaimers. Foes of reality TV will enjoy this.

The abysmally contrived Who Wants To Marry My Dad? starts with Don Mueller's four adult children — Heidi, Karla, Joe and Chris — holding open \"auditions.\" One by one, a gaggle of shallow, wannabe brides stiletto-step forth. Amid a peroxide-haze of bleached insincerity, they explain why they'd just love to marry Dad Mueller.

(\"I truly want to find my soulmate!\" was a common response.)

The rest of the show was a pastiche of stale gimmicks and devices: lie detector tests, fancy sports cars, vote-off stunts, group meals, teary confessionals and a maudlin musical score designed to punctuate the emotional flashpoints most viewers would surely miss since they'd be too busy yawning.

In fact, things only became interesting after the show ended. Though \"reality television\" has always been a popular misnomer, get a load of the disclaimers following Who Wants to Marry My Dad? :

* Portions of this program not affecting the outcome have been edited.

* The opening sequence contestant selection was a dramatization of a process that was conducted prior to taping and included participants who were not applying to be contestants.

* Winner and other participants have the option of taking separate trips.

* Participant family does not reside at filming location.

* The contestants may have consulted with producers regarding their choices and decisions.

Translation: We made a lot of this up; we used actors; the \"bride\" doesn't have to \"honeymoon\" with the \"groom\"; the Muellers don't really live in this mansion; we wrote lots of cheesy dialogue for the kids and told the women contestants exactly what to do.

No wonder the show's opening credits list four writers. If this is what passes for \"reality,\" then Buffy The Vampire Slayer should be rebroadcast on the Documentary Channel.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 11:36:28 AM »
It makes me wonder why they haven't stopped trying to do these shows.  None of them have actually ended with romance - from \"The Bachelor 1 and 2\", to the \"The Bachelorette\", \"Married By America\", \"For Love or Money\", etc.

You'd figure since none of these shows have worked out in the end the public would grow tired of them and they'd stopped being produced.  I'm surprised at the number of different ways they've tried this concept - but it just doesn't seem to work.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 06:59:05 PM »
It makes me wonder why they haven't stopped trying to do these shows.  None of them have actually ended with romance - from \"The Bachelor 1 and 2\", to the \"The Bachelorette\", \"Married By America\", \"For Love or Money\", etc.

Well, I guess Trista's getting married to the guy she picked on \"The Bachelorette\" and it's being televised on ABC!  And of course The Smoking Gun got ahold of the contract.

ObGameShow:  Let's not have Trista as a celeb guest on \"Pyramid\" this season.

ChuckNet

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 12:41:19 PM »
ObGameShow: Let's not have Trista as a celeb guest on \"Pyramid\" this season.

Reality show contestants seem to be passing as celebrities on Cram...Jerri from Survivor TAO was on a few wks ago (w/Kato Kaelin...LOL), and last wk featured Billie Jean from Married By Amer.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks they should've tried to book Jill Nicolini instead? :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

sshuffield70

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 06:31:34 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 17 2003, 11:41 AM\']BTW, am I the only one who thinks they should've tried to book Jill Nicolini instead? :-) [/quote]
Well, I've got the pics.  She's a hell of a lot prettier than Billie Jean!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 06:32:20 PM by sshuffield70 »

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 01:50:00 AM »
Well, I've got the pics. She's a hell of a lot prettier than Billie Jean!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, if she did the show, I fear she might have Graham stuttering during the bonus round, and not because her or her partner keep losing their balance... :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")