Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'll throw my hat into the format ring  (Read 4787 times)

cyberjoek

I'll throw my hat into the format ring
« on: July 13, 2003, 04:11:13 PM »
ok, my first attempt at a format, here we go.
Buzzword
Three teams of two compete, the two players already know eachother some how.  The game starts with one member of each team is designated the giver for round one, they face upstage, looking at a board with the clue word and nine buzzwords (that have no relation to the puzzle).  Their partner (the recever) is facing in such a way that they can't see the clue board.  The giver is to give a complete sentance clue that includes exactly one of the buzzwords.  You can't just tack the buzzword on the end of the sentance, it's got to be a gramaticly correct sentance.  Once a buzzword has been used it can't be used again.  When someone gets the clueword they get the clueword plus all the buzzwords left put into their bank.  Every two cluewords the players switch places, who ever has the most words in their bank when time runs out wins.   The winning team has 3:00 to convey as many cluewords as possible to their teammates, the buzzwords are the words they earned in the main game.  For each clueword that is gotten in the three miniutes the team earns a prize or an amount of money, depending on who was airing the show.  The big prize would be on 10 cluewords (yes, that is a long time but I think to give anyone a reasonable shot at the grand prize they'll need the thinking time).
Well that's it, it's open season on this format.
-Joe Kavanagh

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 05:36:33 PM »
[quote name=\'cyberjoek\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 03:11 PM\'] ok, my first attempt at a format, here we go.
Buzzword
Three teams of two compete, the two players already know eachother some how.  The game starts with one member of each team is designated the giver for round one, they face upstage, looking at a board with the clue word and nine buzzwords (that have no relation to the puzzle).  Their partner (the recever) is facing in such a way that they can't see the clue board.  The giver is to give a complete sentance clue that includes exactly one of the buzzwords.  You can't just tack the buzzword on the end of the sentance, it's got to be a gramaticly correct sentance.  Once a buzzword has been used it can't be used again.  When someone gets the clueword they get the clueword plus all the buzzwords left put into their bank.  Every two cluewords the players switch places, who ever has the most words in their bank when time runs out wins.   The winning team has 3:00 to convey as many cluewords as possible to their teammates, the buzzwords are the words they earned in the main game.  For each clueword that is gotten in the three miniutes the team earns a prize or an amount of money, depending on who was airing the show.  The big prize would be on 10 cluewords (yes, that is a long time but I think to give anyone a reasonable shot at the grand prize they'll need the thinking time).
-Joe Kavanagh [/quote]
 It took me 3 or 4 times before I finally understood the rules, and I'm still kinda confused. Not a good sign.

I'm seeing a lot of holes in this format. You have the 9 buzzwords, but a clueword that has nothing to do with them? I'm lost...either that or illiterate.

It seems like it has potential, but you're going to lose viewers because a) they're gonna be confused, b) there's too much going on, and c) it's going to wear thin very quickly.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cyberjoek

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 08:29:53 PM »
Each clue has to have a buzzword, sorry if I made that unclear, I'm known for leaving out bits of sentances that I mean to put in.  It makes much more sense if you see it played (I've tried it with a couple of friends), I'll go back through and see if I can make it easyer to understand
-Joe Kavanagh
OK, time for me to make this much more clear

Each round starts with 9 buzzwords and a clue word being shown to the givers and the audence
The givers take turns giving gramaticly correct complete sentances as clues to the \"clueword\", each clue must contain one of the nine buzzwords, once a buzzword is used it can't be used again.
When the clueword is guessed any buzzwords left plus the clueword goes into the winning team's bank
The team with the most words in their bank when time runs out wins the game and advances into the bonus round
The winning team plays the buzzword bonus, they try and convey as many words as possible in 3:00, the buzzwords for this round are the words they won in the main game.
The target number for a big prize would be 10 words.

Hope this clears it up,
Joe Kavanagh
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 08:50:28 PM by cyberjoek »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 10:37:27 PM »
[quote name=\'cyberjoek\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 01:11 PM\'] You can't just tack the buzzword on the end of the sentance, it's got to be a gramaticly correct sentance.

Once a buzzword has been used it can't be used again.  When someone gets the clueword they get the clueword plus all the buzzwords left put into their bank.  Every two cluewords the players switch places, who ever has the most words in their bank when time runs out wins.   The winning team has 3:00 to convey as many cluewords as possible to their teammates, the buzzwords are the words they earned in the main game.  For each clueword that is gotten in the three miniutes the team earns a prize or an amount of money, depending on who was airing the show.  The big prize would be on 10 cluewords (yes, that is a long time but I think to give anyone a reasonable shot at the grand prize they'll need the thinking time).
-Joe Kavanagh [/quote]
 Thank god spelling doesn't count.

Why switch every two? Why not each one?

Here's a hint: \"The clue is \" is a gramatically correct sentence. Which means what you have here is a particularly boring form of Password with no creativity required on the part of the cluegivers.

Pass.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 10:38:31 PM »
gramaticly correct complete sentances
Joe, let me tell you.  NOT the best way to pitch a word game.

Two words:  Spel chek
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cyberjoek

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 11:04:26 PM »
The funny thing is that spell check passed it off as 100% right, thanks Micro$oft!
-Joe Kavanagh

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 12:29:59 AM »
[quote name=\'cyberjoek\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 08:04 PM\'] The funny thing is that spell check passed it off as 100% right, thanks Micro$oft!
 [/quote]
If that's the case, then you have either misconfigured (or deactivated altogether) your spellchecker, or you at one point claimed that those were correct spellings and told Word to add it to the dictionary, because I just pasted your sentence into Word, and it nailed EVERY misspelling.

Don't blame MicroSoft for your own incompetence.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 12:31:46 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 12:51:43 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 11:29 PM\'] Don't blame MicroSoft for your own incompetence. [/quote]
 OOH! that's gotta hurt!

cyberjoek

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 12:59:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 11:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'cyberjoek\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 08:04 PM\'] The funny thing is that spell check passed it off as 100% right, thanks Micro$oft!
 [/quote]
If that's the case, then you have either misconfigured (or deactivated altogether) your spellchecker, or you at one point claimed that those were correct spellings and told Word to add it to the dictionary, because I just pasted your sentence into Word, and it nailed EVERY misspelling.

Don't blame MicroSoft for your own incompetence. [/quote]
If spell check has been turned off, modified, or anything else has happened to it that was of its own accord, this was the first document that was typed with this copy of MS Word XP.
I do not blame Microsoft for my \"incompetence\", I blame genetics, probability, and a bad public school system (and if you want the story I'm willing to tell it).
-Joe Kavanagh
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 12:59:45 AM by cyberjoek »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 01:02:45 AM »
i'm sure if u tell your story, Chris will whip out a private part of his choice, and slap you across the face with it.

cyberjoek

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 01:08:27 AM »
that's why I don't bring out the story unless people say they want it.
-Joe Kavanagh

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 02:58:19 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 09:37 PM\']Here's a hint: \"The clue is _blah_\" is a gramatically correct sentence. Which means what you have here is a particularly boring form of Password with no creativity required on the part of the cluegivers.[/quote]
To illustrate Chris's point, especially for anyone who couldn't figure out what the format was about: if the clueword was \"apple\", and the buzzword you'd chosen to include in your sentence was \"synergy\", a legal clue sentence would be \"One of these a day keeps the doctor away, but has nothing to do with synergy.\"

The only way that particular format could ever come close to working is to change the rules to say \"Judges will decide whether or not the buzzword was used properly in the sentence\", and that way lies massive viewer aggravation (Cullen's Pass the Buck, anyone?).
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 07:25:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 09:29 PM\']Don't blame MicroSoft for your own incompetence. [/quote]
Yeah, they've got enough of their own incompetence to deal with as it is :-P

Not to encourage the posting of game formats here, but a few examples of how your game is played go a long way.

tommycharles

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 01:42:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 06:25 PM\'] Not to encourage the posting of game formats here, but a few examples of how your game is played go a long way. [/quote]
 Wait a minute - do you \"not encourage\" them in the way you don't enourage the bad GS jokes, or do you want to see them gone from the board?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 07:59:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 12:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 06:25 PM\'] Not to encourage the posting of game formats here, but a few examples of how your game is played go a long way. [/quote]
Wait a minute - do you "not encourage" them in the way you don't enourage the bad GS jokes, or do you want to see them gone from the board? [/quote]
 What he's basically saying is that he doesn't care for them one way or the other, but there's free speech, so if you want to, knock yourself out.

Brandon Brooks