Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Don't know if it's legit, but a cool item anyways  (Read 2677 times)

cmjb13

Don't know if it's legit, but a cool item anyways
« on: September 07, 2004, 12:28:28 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4035081471&rd=1

I'm suprised the CBS gift shop hasn't made these to sell. They would sell like hot cakes.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 12:30:05 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 11:28 AM\']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4035081471&rd=1

I'm suprised the CBS gift shop hasn't made these to sell. They would sell like hot cakes.[/quote]
But wouldn't it be illegal?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 01:05:22 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 09:30 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 11:28 AM\']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4035081471&rd=1

I'm suprised the CBS gift shop hasn't made these to sell. They would sell like hot cakes.[/quote]
But wouldn't it be illegal? [/quote]
 It wouldn't be street-legal, if that's what you're asking. I see no reason why it would be illegal to own.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 03:24:21 PM »
You might be able to put it on the front of your car, although its resemblance to an actual state license plate might still be a problem.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

sshuffield70

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 03:45:30 PM »
What I'd like to know is if $20.50 doesn't meet the reserve price, how crazy is this idiot selling the plate?  What is the friggin' reserve price?

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 04:11:08 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 03:45 PM\'] What I'd like to know is if $20.50 doesn't meet the reserve price, how crazy is this idiot selling the plate?  What is the friggin' reserve price? [/quote]
 I'd bet $50.

Anything past that and I'd be suprised.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 04:17:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 12:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 09:30 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 11:28 AM\']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4035081471&rd=1

But wouldn't it be illegal? [/quote]
It wouldn't be street-legal, if that's what you're asking. I see no reason why it would be illegal to own. [/quote]
 I know that in VA, I've seen cars with novelty plates on the front of their cars, and as long as you have a legit license plate on the *back*, you're straight. I wonder if this could pass as a "novelty," or would the California throw some cops off?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 04:28:49 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 03:45 PM\'] What I'd like to know is if $20.50 doesn't meet the reserve price, how crazy is this idiot selling the plate?  What is the friggin' reserve price? [/quote]
 If a seller thinks he can get a lot of money for an item, he will set a high reserve price.  That makes him neither crazy nor an idiot, even if the item fails to sell.  At the very least, for a small fee he's discovered the value that the Ebay marketplace has set on his item, which I'm beginning to discover it a pretty accurate indication of an item's real worth as a collectible.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 04:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 01:17 PM\'] I know that in VA, I've seen cars with novelty plates on the front of their cars, and as long as you have a legit license plate on the *back*, you're straight. I wonder if this could pass as a "novelty," or would the California throw some cops off? [/quote]
 Well, California requires government-issued plates on front and back, so it'd be a moot point here. As for other states, my grandmother used to have a novelty plate in nearly the exact design of Pennsylvania's plate, so I don't think there'd be a problem (especially considering the fact that if it's a state that only requires one on the back, the back's where they'll be looking). But do take that info with a grain of the seasoning of your choice.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 06:06:26 PM »
The current bid is now over $100 and the reserve still hasn't been met.

I don't know who's the fool here--the seller with a reserve over $100 or the person willing to spend $100+ on that item.

Just my 2 cents.  $104.98 more and I might have the high bid!

cmjb13

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 06:49:22 PM »
Well I'll be damned.

He wouldn't get much if those were produced in heavy quantities at the CBS gift shop.

But considering I haven't seen one of these before anywhere, I shouldn't have been suprised.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 10:05:53 PM »
I love this.  I absolutely love this.

For twenty-six bucks, you can have this guy make you whatever plate you want!

http://www.cr8apl8.com/
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 05:08:04 AM »
Last I checked, the bid is now at $105.85.  Somebody must REALLY want that plate.

I'm not famillar with licensing laws here in New Jersey, but I wouldn't be surprised if a state trooper might be tipped off on seeing that particular plate.

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 08:30:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 04:08 AM\'] Last I checked, the bid is now at $105.85.  Somebody must REALLY want that plate.

I'm not famillar with licensing laws here in New Jersey, but I wouldn't be surprised if a state trooper might be tipped off on seeing that particular plate. [/quote]
 There are many states (MI & PA of the top of my head) that have no front plate, however for states which require front plates, I have also seen on some cars a second "novelty plate" which is attached below the real plate.  

I've seen these mostly on the souped-up full cab trucks and muscle cars, and since the real plate is in the proper space on both sides, attaching a second plate to the bottom of the front plate should be okay, provided it doesn't look like or spells out some randomly set of letters or numbers.

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 07:10:33 PM »
I love this. I absolutely love this.

For twenty-six bucks, you can have this guy make you whatever plate you want!

http://www.cr8apl8.com/

They even do punctuation and other symbols, hearts, etc, a la the later part of Bumper Stumpers' run.

Chuck Donegan (THe Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 07:10:53 PM by ChuckNet »