Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hypothetical situation #3  (Read 2611 times)

Winkfan

Hypothetical situation #3
« on: September 02, 2004, 08:47:30 PM »
How many of you have thought, Why didn't so-and-so appear on that game show as a guest? That thought especially applies when it comes to other game show hosts. We wonder why they were on some celeb game shows but not others.

With that in mind, here are some hosts who should've have done certain game shows as a guest. How do you think they would have fared?

Bob Barker: Hollywood Squares (1966-80 version), Pyramid, Win, Lose or Draw

Dick Clark: Body Language, Tattletales

Bud Collyer: Password (1961-67 version)

George DeWitt: I've Got A Secret, The Match Game (1962-69 version), The Name's the Same, Password (1961-67 version), To Tell the Truth, What's My Line

Bob Eubanks: (Super) Password (Plus), Pyramid

Tom Kennedy: Pyramid

Jim Lange: Match Game '7X, Tattletales

Peter Marshall: BL, Chain Reaction (1980 NBC version), GO, The Gong Show, Pyramid

Wink Martindale: MG (ANY version), Pyramid, TTTT (1990 version) WML, WLoD

Jim Peck: Pyramid, Tattletales

Jim Perry: CR, TGS, HSQ, Just Men

Peter Tomarken: BL, The Last Word, Pyramid, Tattletales

Chuck Woolery: CR

Comments?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Lee Meriwether of the Big Board!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 09:04:15 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 09:34:27 PM »
It would've been a little difficult for Perry to do GONG, as CS and GONG only coexisted in NBC's daytime line-up for three months (and GONG was pretty well set in choosing its panelists).  I may be wrong about this (so don't shoot me), but I believe only three panelists did GONG in the final three months of the NBC daytime run who hadn't done it before, and they were Johnny Paycheck, Carl Ballentine and Elayne Boosler (unless they did nighttime episodes that I never saw or I'm overlooking someone else--Ballentine and Boosler were booked for the same week).

But I recall watching Perry on FF (during the MCs week) and on P+ (thanks to GSN's running of that week two years ago), and cringing.  He didn't look comfortable at all playing the games (he even said as much to Tom Kennedy on P+ as the week progressed).  So perhaps that's why Perry was never booked elsewhere (either producers noticed, or Perry himself opted out).

I'll let someone more qualified have at it with the others.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 11:56:44 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if there aren't networks or packagers that may have gotten in the way.  Peter Marshall used to do the H-Q shows, but didn't do MG until after HS was over.  Dick Clark did appear on HSSS.  I would have liked to have seen Jim Lange and his wife Nancy on TT, she is a former Miss America from Michigan, but the only Goodson show I remember him appearing on was Card Sharks.  The hosts may have been busy or other circumstances may have come into play.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 05:48:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 07:47 PM\']

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Lee Meriwether of the Big Board! [/quote]
 With that in mind, here are some hosts who should've have done certain game shows as a guest. How do you think they would have fared?

Bob Barker: Hollywood Squares (1966-80 version), Pyramid, Win, Lose or Draw

Actually, Bob did a week of Davidson HS, supposedly at the encouragement of models Dian and Janice, who both did the show for a couple weeks. Surprisingly, he was only picked a few times throughout the week. I'm not so sure I can see him doing word games, but I think any celeb can do Win Lose or Draw.

Dick Clark: Body Language, Tattletales

I think Dick Clark may have done Tattletales, but I am not sure. As for Body Language, that would be interesting to see him try to do pantomime.

Bud Collyer: Password (1961-67 version)
Bud seemed to be an intelligent guy. I think he'd do just fine with Password.

Bob Eubanks: (Super) Password (Plus), Pyramid

Tom Kennedy: Pyramid

Of the above, I definitely cannot see Jim Lange on Match Game. I think he has a little too much class to be on that show.

Wink Martindale: MG (ANY version), Pyramid, TTTT (1990 version) WML, WLoD

Jim Peck: Pyramid, Tattletales

Jim Perry: CR, TGS, HSQ, Just Men

Again, of the above, I don't see Wink doing MG. Wink doesn't seem to be that good at spontaneous humor, or doing much else spontaneous, since he obviously relies on cue cards. I think Jim Peck is too private of a person to appear on Tattletales, and his wife isn't well known. I don't think Jim Perry would be desperate enough to appear on The Gong Show.

Peter Tomarken: BL, The Last Word, Pyramid, Tattletales

Chuck Woolery: CR

Peter would never do Tattletales. Besides, his wife too is not well known.
Chuck on CR... maybe. With his experience on Wheel, he could probably do other word games. He fared well when he played Scrabble while Marc Summers hosted.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 07:41:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 10:56 PM\'] Sometimes I wonder if there aren't networks or packagers that may have gotten in the way.  Peter Marshall used to do the H-Q shows, but didn't do MG until after HS was over. [/quote]
 He did a week of P+ in 1979 and two weeks of Syndie MG in 1980, while Squares was still on the air.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 09:06:42 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 06:41 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 10:56 PM\'] Sometimes I wonder if there aren't networks or packagers that may have gotten in the way.  Peter Marshall used to do the H-Q shows, but didn't do MG until after HS was over. [/quote]
He did a week of P+ in 1979 and two weeks of Syndie MG in 1980, while Squares was still on the air. [/quote]
 That sorta fits the profile tho, because P+ was NBC and the MG syndie strip was showing on KNBC in LA, so Peter, for whatever reason, didn't appear on MG until it was off the CBS network.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 11:05:27 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 04:48 AM\']

Of the above, I definitely cannot see Jim Lange on Match Game. I think he has a little too much class to be on that show.

[/quote]
 You mean the Jim Lange who hosted "The Dating Game?" That Jim Lange? The guy in the red tuxedos with ruffles? The real classy one? The same fella who presided over "Hollywood Connection?"

I never liked seeing hosts play games--unless it was their own--because they seem like such easy guests. "Gee, nobody else can play "Password" this week? Hell, Monty Hall's stopping by the studio later. He'll do it."

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 04:44:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 10:05 AM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 04:48 AM\']

[/quote]
You mean the Jim Lange who hosted "The Dating Game?" That Jim Lange? The guy in the red tuxedos with ruffles? The real classy one? The same fella who presided over "Hollywood Connection?"

I never liked seeing hosts play games--unless it was their own--because they seem like such easy guests. "Gee, nobody else can play "Password" this week? Hell, Monty Hall's stopping by the studio later. He'll do it."[/quote]
You're probably right.

When the syndie "WML?" needed a Mystery Guest in a hurry, Bob Bach stepped out into the hall at NBC, saw Art Fleming walk by and sweet-talked him into coming on between "J!" tapings.  By all accounts, Art was a nice guy and was glad to do it--and it saved them from having to go to the last-ditch plan of making Gil Fates a Mystery Guest.  (And this was after Johnny O moved to LA, so they couldn't use *him*...)

Jay Temple

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 05:55:09 PM »
Are you saying he has more class than Steve Allen and Bill Cullen?

I think Jim Peck is too private of a person to appear on Tattletales, and his wife isn't well known.

Peter would never do Tattletales. Besides, his wife too is not well known.
Was Mrs. Burghoff?  Mrs. Cullen?  Mrs. Buzz Aldrin?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 06:02:51 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.