Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Speaking of hoaxes...  (Read 5372 times)

JMFabiano

Speaking of hoaxes...
« on: July 14, 2003, 10:09:58 PM »
Anyone have any background on what has been referred to on tape trading sites as the \"final Jack Barry TJW\" hoax?  I know that this refers to the tape of a 1984 episode that has the Savers dubbed (badly) over the opening and closing...as a result of them, Jack gives his welcome \"twice\" (once in the audio of the dub, and second for real) and at the end the same voiceover plug is duplicated.  

Anyway, how did this come to be known as a hoax?  Did someone on ATGS/etc. actually claim that this was the last Barry ep?  Or was it given the name by a fan who discovered it?

J.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 10:13:03 PM »
Sorry!  I just saw the NYSI Hoax post here and just automatically posted in the GSN folder.  I know this subject is kind of OT, so I apologize for its placement.

J.

whewfan

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 07:35:46 PM »
It's not THE last Jack Barry TJW, but it is indeed from the final season, and very sad to watch.
Jack appears very bored and out of it, almost nothing like he was during the CBS run or the 77-80 run.

zachhoran

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 07:45:31 PM »
I think Jack may have been best off taking a early retirement from hosting around 1981 and passed hosting duties over to Jim Peck. Peck really deserved to have a successful game show, which he unfortunately never got.

JMFabiano

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 09:29:47 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 06:35 PM\'] It's not THE last Jack Barry TJW, but it is indeed from the final season, and very sad to watch.
Jack appears very bored and out of it, almost nothing like he was during the CBS run or the 77-80 run. [/quote]
 True, still, what I am wondering is how this episode got to be called the \"fake last Barry\"?  Did someone claim it was, or something else?

J.

Ian Wallis

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 11:38:08 AM »
Along the same lines, I have an episode of \"Tic Tac Dough\" which was - at that time - considered to be the last with Wink Martindale.  From GSN airings, we later found out it wasn't.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

PeterMarshallFan

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 11:59:39 AM »
On the same line, I really remember seeing some eps. hosted by Wink, but using Caldwell's set. Am I out of my mind again?

zachhoran

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 12:05:05 PM »
The new set debuted on the same day Caldwell debuted as host, on the 1985-86 season premiere, which aired originally on 9/9/85 in most of the country(in Philly Caldwell TTD began airing on 3/10/86 at 9AM on WCAU on a six month airing delay, as WPVI didn't pick up the show for the 1985-86 season, replacing it instead at 7PM with Jeopardy!, which had moved over from KYW who carried season one)

Jimmy Owen

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 12:33:36 PM »
Is it possible that the purported \"last episodes\" were reruns of shows from within the last season?  TJW and TTD would go in to repeats during the summer, sometimes with new fee plugs edited in to replace the originals, that may account for the edits, etc.  If that is the case, these shows could possibly be the reruns aired the Friday  before the new seasons began. Just a guess.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 12:36:32 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

Speaking of hoaxes...
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 02:40:23 PM »
True, still, what I am wondering is how this episode got to be called the \"fake last Barry\"? Did someone claim it was, or something else?

Right the 1st time...a similar mix-up took place a few yrs back w/a poor quality 1984 ep of TTD taped off WCBS that was reported to be Wink's last, but it was quickly dispelled, since Wink's last show aired in 1985, and the show had moved back to its originial NY home, WOR, for those last 2 seasons.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")