Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big Showdown question  (Read 3805 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Big Showdown question
« on: July 14, 2003, 09:47:46 PM »
The EoTVGS has a picture of the bonus game from TBS. The money board [where the time, payoff point and accumulated winnings were displayed] is vastly different from what I remember being used on the show. Is this picture from the pilot?

I ask because I've heard that the pilot had a different endgame that kinda resembled the Dream House golden doors.

whewfan

Big Showdown question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 11:20:38 PM »
If it's the same pic. also in the other editions, then yes, it is.

The pilot (called Showdown) had some very minor differences. First, the value of the target number wasn't \"randomized\" but rather a set value (I don't recall what that was). Also, the readout of the \"$10,000\" sign was manual instead of digital. Also different was the theme music and a slightly different looking category board.

ChuckNet

Big Showdown question
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 11:57:18 AM »
The pilot (called Showdown) had some very minor differences. First, the value of the target number wasn't \"randomized\" but rather a set value (I don't recall what that was). Also, the readout of the \"$10,000\" sign was manual instead of digital. Also different was the theme music and a slightly different looking category board.

Also, instead of giving you 5 seconds at the end every time you rolled a \"payoff point\" in the endgame, they would actually stop the clock and give you the 5 secs right then and there...I can see how this would've made it too easy for someone to win the $5K.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Big Showdown question
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 03:32:05 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 08:57 AM\'] Also, instead of giving you 5 seconds at the end every time you rolled a "payoff point" in the endgame, they would actually stop the clock and give you the 5 secs right then and there...I can see how this would've made it too easy for someone to win the $5K. [/quote]
 I can also see it making for a horrible, staccato endgame with no flow whatsoever...no wonder they changed it...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dan Sadro

Big Showdown question
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 04:48:28 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 10:20 PM\'] If it's the same pic. also in the other editions, then yes, it is.

The pilot (called Showdown) had some very minor differences. First, the value of the target number wasn't "randomized" but rather a set value (I don't recall what that was). Also, the readout of the "$10,000" sign was manual instead of digital. Also different was the theme music and a slightly different looking category board. [/quote]
 $50 and going up by $25 every subsequent payoff point.  Solari boards.

A general rule of thumb: If the picture is on a game show set, it's probably from the pilot.  There are exceptions, notably the famous $10,000 Pyramid one that's in some of the EoTVGS, but as a rule of thumb it's pretty accurate.

Neumms

Big Showdown question
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 01:12:51 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 10:57 AM\'] Also, instead of giving you 5 seconds at the end every time you rolled a "payoff point" in the endgame, they would actually stop the clock and give you the 5 secs right then and there...I can see how this would've made it too easy for someone to win the $5K.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 I can see where, as Chris said, this would ruin the flow of the game, but how would it make the game too easy? You're still only getting five seconds of extra rolls.

ChuckNet

Big Showdown question
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 03:03:45 PM »
I can see where, as Chris said, this would ruin the flow of the game, but how would it make the game too easy? You're still only getting five seconds of extra rolls.

In theory, you could roll another payoff point or 2 during those 5 extra seconds, as opposed to the series format, where the only thing that paid off during the bonus rolling time at the end was getting \"Showdown\".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")