Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kenny vs. Spenny to Return?  (Read 3752 times)

CaseyAbell

Kenny vs. Spenny to Return?
« on: August 16, 2004, 08:45:48 AM »
A long story about GSN from the Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/2738290

The comment at the end about the return of KvS in 2005 will not make the Prof happy. I don't much care either way. KvS ain't the worst show I've seen, but I had trouble staying interested in the antics of the two overaged adolescents from the frozen north. Watching them try to stay awake forever made it hard for me to...stay awake.

The 60-40 ratio looks weird to me, unless Belinkoff is classifying a lot of stuff as non-game-shows. Maybe he's been reading the loud threads here and on the GSN board (wink).

Also, seems strange that he would mention LMAD, which is dropping off the network on August 23. No big loss for me. I never was a big fan of Monty's mostly-dumb-luck epic, though some of the zonks and costumes were funny.

The comments about the pool show indicate that GSN realizes the need for some gimmicks. ESPN's pool shows aren't terrible, but they do get a little dry. Maybe the betting angle will jazz the presentation.

And it hardly comes as a surprise that GSN is trying to escape the older female skew.

Either here or on the GSN board, I speculated that we might see some turnaround stories about the network if the new strategy showed signs of working. Looks like this is the first.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 01:56:18 PM by CaseyAbell »

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 12:56:26 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Aug 16 2004, 07:45 AM\']A long story about GSN from the Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/2738290

The comment at the end about the return of KvS in 2005 will not make the Prof happy. I don't much care either way. KvS ain't the worst show I've seen, but I had trouble staying interested in the antics of the two overaged adolescents from the frozen north. Watching them try to stay awake forever made it hard for me to...stay awake.[/quote]
Unless GSN's going in as a co-producer, they're totally at the mercy of the CBC as to "K vs. S."  If the CBC has renewed the show and GSN had an option for the second season, then it's not surprising that they would at least consider it.  (And if it is a co-production, their involvement will not be big enough for the producers to lose their Canadian government subsidies for the show.  As your mouths fly open, the national and some provincial governments in Canada do support film and television production, even for commercial ventures--and quality isn't always a deciding point.)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 01:03:36 PM »
I live in an area where I can get CBC, so I can see KvS first run and I think they are showing new eps right now.  I could probably do a weekly show summary if there is any interest.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 01:44:35 PM »
I was just a little surprised that GSN is apparently picking up the second season of KvS next year. The show is disappearing completely from the network on August 23, and there wasn't a peep about it in the TCA press releases. Must be a demo play.