Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows a guilty pleasure?  (Read 6418 times)

urbanpreppie05

Game shows a guilty pleasure?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 10:52:14 AM »
It depends. Many people I know watch Game Shows-If I say those are my favorite shows, they try to think of their favs-mainly TPIR and Concentration are the big two.
However, I do run into the occasional person who thinks Game shows are the lowest form of televison (ironically, this person thinks \"Roseanne\" and \"ned and Stacy\" are the two greatest sitcoms ever...and I STRONGLY disagree..but I digress) At first, i was a little ashamed to be a GS fan, but now, I relish it. It's probably the cleanest form of television today.
insert signature here

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 01:18:03 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 03:42 AM\'] Ehh, Guys... What exactly does all of this wrestling stuff have to do with Game Shows being a guilty pleasure? [/quote]
 In the very first post, it was established that being a game show fan/junkie is sometimes held in the same regard as being a wrestling fan; some people might look down on either, although there are many game show and/or wrestling fans scared to admit me.

BTW, I started watching \"wrasslin' \" in summer 1998, became hooked on WWF, but they lost me when they bought out WCW and ECW. :-P

ObGameShow: The 70s \"High Rollers\" theme is Stan Worth's best work ever.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

beatlefreak84

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 09:21:38 PM »
Hmm...

Well, it's kinda funny that you mention wrestling since my roommate loved wrestling and I loved game shows.  I would occasionally watch wrestling with him, and all I'd basically do is laugh, especially at the poorly-choreographed matches.  He'd occasionally watch game shows with me as well, but he never said anything about it; however, he did ask me how in the world \"Bumper Stumpers\" lasted three years after he watched a few eps. with me.

Anyway, as far as being \"stereotyped,\" I was kinda looked at as a little odd especially since I'm the only one on my campus (and, yes, this is true!) who has a game show tape collection.  However, I have noticed that you can always bring up a popular game show and get people talking.  Not only that, but a lot of people would watch WOF with me at night.

Even with the people who walked by my dorm room and wondered why I was getting excited over a $20,000 Pyramid episode, though, they would still occasionally stop in and take a gander.  So, I was always able to at least find a way to get other people at least somewhat interested in old game shows, if only for a brief moment.

So, in conclusion:  I do think I'm stereotyped, but not as bad as a lot of people would think.  Mainly, I just get jokes about it from my friends!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Grant78898

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 10:22:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 05:14 PM\'] I'm embarassed to watch wrestling any more. Just recently I saw a one-legged wrestler almost kiss Vince McMahon's bare nekkid butt on WWE. That was enough of that. [/quote]
 I used to like wrestling, but I don't see how anyone can stand it anymore... it's such a soap opera.

gaubster2

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 11:17:23 PM »
I watch pro wrestling, too.  I've always been surprised that a few here watch WWE and are game show fans (like myself), too.  I guess I'm not the only one.  (I've also worked in radio as an on-air talent, as well FWIW)

jalman

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2003, 12:03:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Grant78898\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 10:22 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 05:14 PM\'] I'm embarassed to watch wrestling any more. Just recently I saw a one-legged wrestler almost kiss Vince McMahon's bare nekkid butt on WWE. That was enough of that. [/quote]
I used to like wrestling, but I don't see how anyone can stand it anymore... it's such a soap opera.[/quote]
I did stop watching recently though from the time \"WCW\" died at Survivor Series '01 until around Brock Lesnar's debut.  Sometimes I wonder why many of us put up w/McMahon's formulaic offerings week after week.  I know something's wrong when I'm starting to yearn for the days of squash matches every Saturday, Doink the Clown, Lex Express, and other atrocities.

On whether I think game shows are a guilty pleasure:  My parents love to watch game shows and I've never received a nasty look from anyone else for liking Jeopardy and other assorted quizzers, so IMO they usually aren't.  Then again, I rarely chat about the more obscure and lesser-known game shows outside the 'Net.

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2003, 03:06:24 PM »
ObGameShow: The 70s \"High Rollers\" theme is Stan Worth's best work ever.

No argument there...his blues-y blend of horns, drums and guitar made it one of the jazziest themes of all time!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")