Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows a guilty pleasure?  (Read 6406 times)

cmjb13

Game shows a guilty pleasure?
« on: July 14, 2003, 08:39:40 AM »
I'm wondering what people think on this.

Do you think people who love game shows are stereotyped? Similar to that of pro wrestling fans who are embarrassed and harassed for liking such a thing, or would be embarrased if someone caught them watching it?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 09:09:26 AM »
I'd like to think game show lovers are not stereotyped. There are people from all walks of life here(white and blue-collar, a few male and a few female, etc.)

I had people, including relatives, wondering about my GS fetish going back to five years old or so.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 10:05:30 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 07:39 AM\'] I'm wondering what people think on this.

Do you think people who love game shows are stereotyped? Similar to that of pro wrestling fans who are embarrassed and harassed for liking such a thing, or would be embarrased if someone caught them watching it? [/quote]
 It may seem like we're stereotyped as \"geeks,\" but then again, the folks on this websi...uh...newsgr....uh board, are basically the \"creme de la creme\" of game show fans. There are a lot of \"closet\" game show fans out there, and you just don't know it. I've had numerous conversations with friends about GSN and the recent MOGSM specials, which ran pretty deep. It's actually surprising (but cool) to hear someone else my age (or younger) talk about Dawson's Feud or Match Game 7x. Trust me, GSN has a fan base other than the 200-something guys here, old and young. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 12:16:02 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 05:39 AM\'] Similar to that of pro wrestling fans who are embarrassed and harassed for liking such a thing, or would be embarrased if someone caught them watching it? [/quote]
 People are embarrassed to watch pro wrestling?

Not THIS person. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 06:14:20 PM »
I'm embarassed to watch wrestling any more. Just recently I saw a one-legged wrestler almost kiss Vince McMahon's bare nekkid butt on WWE. That was enough of that.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 06:26:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 03:14 PM\'] I'm embarassed to watch wrestling any more. Just recently I saw a one-legged wrestler almost kiss Vince McMahon's bare nekkid butt on WWE. That was enough of that. [/quote]
 You got me there. I wince whenever McMahon pulls out the \"Kiss-My-Ass Club\" angle yet again.

But then there are the Rey Mysterios of the world who make up for it. And that one-legged kid (in an ass-kicking contest, no less!) is actually an incredible wrestler when he's in an actual match. :)

jalman

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 09:01:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 06:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 03:14 PM\'] I'm embarassed to watch wrestling any more. Just recently I saw a one-legged wrestler almost kiss Vince McMahon's bare nekkid butt on WWE. That was enough of that. [/quote]
You got me there. I wince whenever McMahon pulls out the "Kiss-My-Ass Club" angle yet again.

But then there are the Rey Mysterios of the world who make up for it. And that one-legged kid (in an ass-kicking contest, no less!) is actually an incredible wrestler when he's in an actual match. :) [/quote]
 Just before Raw airs, I'd like to say that for some reason, my dad prefers wrestlers that do power moves over smaller wrestlers.  Big Show is a sterling example.  I just watched the Shawn Michaels DVD.  He did crazy stuff in his prime during the mid '90s.  I almost prefer that DVD over my Hulk Still Rules DVD, except that it needed a few more matches and other tech issues w/ the DVD.

NOSTALGIA~!

ObGameShow: WCW and WWF were on Combs Feud.  Not at the same time though.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 09:54:52 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 06:01 PM\'] I almost prefer that DVD over my Hulk Still Rules DVD, except that it needed a few more matches and other tech issues w/ the DVD. [/quote]
 Is this \"From The Vault\" that you speak of? I may have to pick that up, if so. I REALLY enjoyed Hulk Still Rules, and if you say this comes close, it may be worth it. Does it have the Montreal Screwjob on it?

What are the tech issues you had with it?

jalman

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 11:30:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 09:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 06:01 PM\'] I almost prefer that DVD over my Hulk Still Rules DVD, except that it needed a few more matches and other tech issues w/ the DVD. [/quote]
Is this "From The Vault" that you speak of? I may have to pick that up, if so. I REALLY enjoyed Hulk Still Rules, and if you say this comes close, it may be worth it. Does it have the Montreal Screwjob on it?

What are the tech issues you had with it? [/quote]
Yes, the Shawn Michaels DVD is \"From the Vault\"

First and foremost, I watch DVDs w/my computer and an el-cheapo 5.1 home theater setup (RCA bookshelf speakers, low-end Pioneer receiver, modded Sony subwoofer, Phillips soundcard w/SPDIF output, and an 19-in. monitor)

The video quality on \"From the Vault\" is only a slight improvement than the Hogan DVD, but it's still disappointing.  This is due to a low bitrate hovering around 3 MBits or so.  This leads to a blockier presentation on my monitor, thus leading me to believe that something went wrong when the source materials was mastered and transferred to DVD.  Unfortunately, I have three WWE DVDs and they all share this problem.

Also, I believe \"From the Vault\" is the first WWE DVD done in 5.1 surround instead of plain 2.0 stereo.  However, all three front channels contain the announcer's commentary and the crowd noise with little support in the surround channels.  The LFE channel is virtually nonexistant, leading me to worrry whether my sub's amp was blown.  The little vignettes they do before the matches has a better and more appropriate audio presentation.

The more I think about it, the more I lean on returning it.

I hope nobody's head is spinning from reading this.

Clarence

(ObGameshow: I think Shokus Video has some of their game show compilations on DVD now.)

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 11:34:09 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 08:30 PM\'] I hope nobody's head is spinning from reading this.
 [/quote]
 Far from it...I'm somewhat of a DVD afficianado myself, and that's exactly the kind of information I wanted. Thanks!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 12:30:16 AM »
Ah, an intelligent discussion about wrestling and DVD's, in a thread about GS' being a guilty pleasure...

Gotta love it.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm a game show fan. Also,  I'm not as proud of it as I was back when things were better, but, yeah, I'm a wrestling fan (still).

--------
They really need to clean house at WWE.  Fire about 50% of the wrestlers (Keep just enough big names to keep the promotion running until they establish the new guys, then can them too), and bring in new talent.     The Ric Flairs and the like can't keep wrestling into their 100s, as much as WWE brass would like them too.    Gotta start working on new talent.    

And, they gotta get new writers.    The new creative angles plain out suck, and the only ideas that are REMOTELY good, are recycled from years ago.    

It seems like that around 2 different points, the quality of the work took nosedives, and have never recovered from them.   The first dive happened when WCW was bought by Vince & Co.   Without the competition (not that WCW was any comp for the WWF/WWE at the time anyway, but still), the main brass let the quality on Raw slide BIGTIME, and the quality on Smackdown go down quite a bit too.   But, the shows still had their highpoint.   But then, right around the time that the Panda (World Wildlife Fund) won the rights to the WWF name, things seemed to suddenly drop in quality again.    And the brand has never fully recovered.   About once every 2 mos, there will be a bright spot, but it's mostly dismal.   Thank the Lord for VHS' and DVD's with old matches on them....

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 12:40:43 AM »
Hello there. Disgruntled WWE fan here. I saw tonight's episode of RAW, and it sucked. Before I get back to topic, I am going to pitch a bitch about this.
If you had read my second post at the \"GSN: R.I.P.\" post, you know that I am anti-HHH. His backstage politics are clearly ruining the Monday Night RAW experience as well as his boring mic segments and crappy wrestling performances. What is also bad are the numerous instances of \"Crash TV\" segments present on both shows. I have no shame in saying that I am a WWE fan and I am openly talking about wrestling to anyone who listens. There absolutely is no shame in my game.

The same goes with game shows. I always talk to my friends and family about game shows. It is my unbridled love of game shows that drive me to be a full-fleged game show host. That is also why I do game shows on campus. From Match Game and Family Feud to (Super) Password (Plus) and The $250 Pyramid, this shows my dedication and devotion to reviving a product that is shockingly and unfortunately frowned upon by today's masses. Stereotyped? Hardly. In fact, I think that we are in a higher regard than those who take delight in seeing the most negative form in human television ever invented -- reality television. I also find it nice to be in a board where we have past contestants, those who worked on a show as an intern, a kick-ass announcer whom I hope to work with when I enter the business, and those with strong opinions that support or refute my arguments. We are the core of those who have some level of adoration of game shows, whether they reveal it or not.

For those of you who have friends that lambaste the institution that is the game show, give them this fact: before there was any other form of television, there was the game show. Think about it.

The Inquisitive One

(By the way, if I get one of  my shows taped, I'll send you a copy. :) )
This is the Way.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 01:32:34 AM »
Lemme put things this way:

I have never felt embarrassed for being a game show fan.  Absolutely never.  After all, I came into elementary school already subtraction, addition, and multiplication from years of WoF.  And when a horrible dating or reality show is on, I can easily say, \"That's just a dating show\", or \"That's just a reality show\".

I have been embrarrassed with wrestling.  The first time I watched it at one friend's house happened to be in December of '97 (NWO takeover night).  Try explaining to people who hold you in otherwise high regard how watching a half hour of intimidating teamsters and kicking over giant letters is supposed to be entertainment.  I can't even say \"it's sports entertainment\" because, well, wrestling's in your name, dammit!
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

whampyl03

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 04:42:41 AM »
Ehh, Guys... What exactly does all of this wrestling stuff have to do with Game Shows being a guilty pleasure?

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 09:12:37 AM »
It all depends on the show.  I was one of those lucky kids who remembers days or summers off from school watching Hugh Downs on \"Concentration\", Bud Collyer on \"To Tell The Truth\", Art Fleming on \"Jeopardy!\" and Bill Cullen on \"Eye Guess\", just to name a few.  There was certainly nothing wrong with any of *those* games.  The \"guilty pleasure\" problem probably didn't come into its own until Chuck Barris unleashed his first wave of shows.  They had their fans, but after a couple of viewings they bored me.  Just talking heads and mounting scores--no boards or other impressive hardware.                                            

Later, prime-time sitcoms like \"The Mary Tyler Moore Show\" actually tried to make viewers question their devotion to games by making them punchlines for jokes; I'm sure it must have had something to do with Barris' shows gaining in popularity while an intellectually-stimulating game like \"J!\" was dumped in the middle of the '70s.  

Then came the announcement that NBC was going to unleash David Letterman on daytime audiences at the expense of three games including the classic HS.  Critics cheered and had a field day, but--despite the fact that I came to love his late-night work for NBC--I could only cringe at their barbs and I only watched his morning show occasionally and was actually pleased at the time to see the experiment backfire.

Regardless of how viewers and critics felt about games from the '60s to the '80s,  I'm sure even the most cynical of them thought they looked pretty good next to what stations were giving us in daytime during the '90s.  I feel sorry for today's kids who have nothing but TPIR to look forward to during summer vacations.  Maybe its all they need these days, as they're probably being rushed off to soccer practice or public pools the rest of the day.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel