Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would you watch a game show if.....  (Read 3026 times)

Winkfan

Would you watch a game show if.....
« on: August 05, 2004, 01:08:17 PM »
Would you watch (or have watched) a game show if it was hosted by one of these people:

Jimmy O'Neill
The Real Don Steele
'Emperor' Bob Hudson
'Cousin Brucie' Morrow
Johnny Hayes
Dan Ingram
Jerry 'The Geator With the Heater' Blavat
Dick Biondi
'Shotgun Tom' Kelly
Gene 'the Weedy One' Weed
Bill Ballance
Robert W. Morgan
Roger Christian
B. Mitchell Reed

I know what some of you are thinking as you read this, 'WHO THE GONG SHOW OOPS ARE THESE GUYS?!?!' They were all disc jockeys in various cities during the heyday of Top 40 (or Boss 30 in Bill Drake's case) radio. Also, which game shows would you choose for these guys?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Mitzi McCall of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 08:44:40 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Robair

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:23:46 PM »
Big Dan Ingram is about the only one of those who's a quick thinker and a rapier-sharp wit to pull it off. (As Ingram might reply, "Hey, lay off my wit, man!")

And it's not too fercockta a question. Eubanks, the Winker, Lange, Charlie O, and Jim Perry all came from radio. But there's a smoothness to those guys that not a lot of the others have.

Some voices work better on radio, though, like Bruce Morrow, Biondi the Wild Itralian, Emperor Hudson and the late BMR. And thanks to sites like reelradio.com, you can hear tapes of all these guys and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 01:24:43 PM by Robair »
--Robair

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 02:04:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 09:23 AM\']Big Dan Ingram is about the only one of those who's a quick thinker and a rapier-sharp wit to pull it off. [/quote]
I never thought the opportunity would arise for me to sing the praises of Dan Ingram on this board, but as you opened the door Robair, I can't pass by without adding my $.02

Dan is one of the quickest wits to ever grace the airwaves. I put him on the level of folks like Steve Allen when it comes to creativity and when it comes to presenting a virtually seamless and well developed public personality through his work. The latter is a long way of saying that his listeners quickly come to believe they know him and easily develop a relationship with his broadcasting personna. I've always believed that creating a 3-D virtual identity is a key to success in media... similar to the way Bob Barker, David Letterman, and pretty much every successful broadcast personality has made himself accessible to the audience. The measure of success is that most people feel that they "know" these performers.

Like Letterman, Ingram has a bit of a rebellious nature in his humor and has often broken the "fourth wall" of broadcasting, bringing his audience behind the scenes and into the humor.

After an amazing radio career that brought him to New York when still in his 20s, this is the first year in over 4 decades that he is not heard on New York radio. He is a victim of the new era of media consolidation.

In life, Dan is one of the brightest, well read people you could ever hope to converse with. His self-deprecating manner is endearing; behind it he has the confidence and courage to be dedicated to causes he believes in. Most notably, unionism. He has been active in SAG and AFTRA as a vice president for many terms. At this later stage in life, after his share of failed marriages, he has found happiness with Maureen Donnelly, another SAG activist.

Listening to and emulating Dan's sense of humor taught me how to "think funny". Behind Johnny O, Dan has had the greatest impact on my professional life. Thanks for the chance to give kudos where they are so well deserved. If you haven't had the chance to hear and become familiar with Ingram's work, you missed one of the greats. I also recommend reelradio.com as a place to get a taste.

Game Show Host Reference: Dan Ingram hosted WABC-TV's local morning show before the program evolved into a national program on Regis Philbin's watch.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 02:07:00 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

bricon

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:24:19 PM »
Of the people on Tammy's list, I know that Bruce Morrow hosted an NBC pilot called "The Wheeler Dealers", back in 1973-ish.

Shotgun Tom Kelly once hosted a local game show for kids called "Words A Poppin'" in San Diego.  You can see an episode of it, broken up into three video files, at his website here.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 02:36:37 PM »
I would have watched a show with Jimmy O'Neill(stone).  "Shin-Rock a Go-Go" was one of my favorite shows, second only to "The Prize is Priced."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 03:58:26 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:24 AM\'] Shotgun Tom Kelly once hosted a local game show for kids called "Words A Poppin'" in San Diego.  You can see an episode of it, broken up into three video files, at his website here. [/quote]
 Wow. You haven't lived until you've seen a Bay City Rollers album offered as a serious consolation prize. :)

Surprisingly good show, with a surprisingly good host!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 04:13:48 PM »
Is that the same Tom Kelly who filled in for Monty on the ABC LMAD?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 05:57:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 03:13 PM\'] Is that the same Tom Kelly who filled in for Monty on the ABC LMAD? [/quote]
 Nope--*that* Tom Kelly was a sportscaster in Los Angeles.  Used to be flown in by Illinois Bell's ad agency to call the Illinois High School Association basketball tournament for WGN and a statewide network every year, despite the fact that WGN had perfectly competent sportscasters like Lloyd Petit and Vince Lloyd who could do the job.  Some years, the only Illinoisans on the broadcasting team were Don "Breakfast Club" McNeill, who would do the Illinois Bell commercials live, and another guy who was an expert commentator.  I still have memories of that "Tournament Central"--a cheesy set somewhere in the bowels of Assembly Hall in Urbana with canned teletype SFX in the background.

I believe Kelly hosted the unsuccessful 1970 revival of "Strike It Rich"--the Warren Hull weepie format--or was it "Queen for a Day?"  Anyway, they were both weepers.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 06:36:39 PM »
Surprisingly good show, with a surprisingly good host!

Agreed with frosting! Man alive, go download that if you can, it was a hoot. I thought I'd be fast forwarding parts, but I was engrossed all through. And actually, that Bay City album was a WINNER'S prize to show you the sensibility of the producers. :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Robair

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 07:24:31 PM »
Back to Ingram, I believe the biggest national splash he made was as the announcer on the long forgotten talk show "Thicke of the Night" back in the 80s. But yea, I was lucky enough to come of age along with Mr. Ingram, with his (boom boom boom) "WABC, Dan Ingram GO GO GO!" opening which was his big 20-second "get it off my chest" opening where anything could happen and his always hilarious commercials. It was always interesting to hear the first notes of "You're in my Heart" by Rod Stewart on CBS-FM and wonder, "Is Ingram gonna shut the station down today?" Truly radio's "Peck's Bad Boy".

It was interesting to hear Mr. Ingram on WABC on Memorial Day talk about not being on the air (which I'm sure you've heard somewhere by now, Randy). Can't XM or Sirius pick him up and have him do some stuff for them? He'd sell a lot of radios, and not in the Soupy Sales sense of the word.
--Robair

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 09:16:29 PM »
I believe Kelly hosted the unsuccessful 1970 revival of "Strike It Rich"--the Warren Hull weepie format--or was it "Queen for a Day?"

No, you had it right the 1st time...Dick Curtis hosted QFaD '70, which also featured TPiR fill-in model Nancy Meyers as a commentator.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 09:31:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 06:24 PM\'] Back to Ingram, I believe the biggest national splash he made was as the announcer on the long forgotten talk show "Thicke of the Night" back in the 80s. [/quote]
 Didn't Charlie Tuna announce on that show for a while?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 10:24:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 08:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 06:24 PM\'] Back to Ingram, I believe the biggest national splash he made was as the announcer on the long forgotten talk show "Thicke of the Night" back in the 80s. [/quote]
Didn't Charlie Tuna announce on that show for a while? [/quote]
 Not completely sure how accurate it is, but there's one website that claims that comedian Rick Ducommun was Thicke's announcer on THICKE OF THE NIGHT.

But I believe Robair is confusing TOTN (which was L.A.-based) for NIGHTLIFE, the David Brenner chatfest which was NY-based and did feature Ingram as announcer.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dickoon

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 06:07:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:58 PM\'] Surprisingly good show, with a surprisingly good host! [/quote]
 Mmm - well, it's not bad, but it's no Malcolm. (By way of standpoint, I maintain that Malcolm could - should? - have been a kids' show and had gameplay that could have stood the test of time.)

Round one was the weakest of the three by far. I think it is a clear error to have gameplay so fast that the audience applause detracts from following the gameplay. This isn't a knock against fast gameplay, noting that wordgames and anagram games tend to be fast by nature and are most fun when played at speed - simply an observation that an audience isn't completely necessary, or at least should be trained not to applaud after every... single... anagram. Conversely, I think this would have worked better had it been the final round of the show, not least because it was by far the fastest-paced, offered by far the highest scoring opportunities and had its own bonus prize. To me, those are characteristics which are most naturally associated with a final round.

I liked the other two rounds a fair amount; the round two letter board, with letters dropping in, is at least as much fun as what Vanna does on Wheel of Fortune. Heck, the game is a faster, more interesting Wheel of Fortune without the wheel. Perhaps they could just call it of Fortune. The final round, while arguably somewhat derivative of Now You See It, had lots of play-along value. My gut reaction is that it would be too hard for players and viewers alike, but it's very well-pitched.

Mixed views on "Shotgun Tom". Shouting at the contestants in joy is probably to be avoided, though forgiveable because the only purpose is to make yourself heard over the audience. The standard offender in this category is Roy ("RRRRIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!") Walker on British Catchphrase, but at least he stands a good four or five yards away from contestants who are the same size as him. A big host shouting at little kids seemed a little off to me.

His interviews: plus points for saying "Do you have any hobbies that you'd like to tell us about", which is unusually polite and appropriate for kid contestants; minus points for not being able to respond more interestedly than just restating what the contestants say to him. Now, granted, not every host can have a flip response for every situation, and there are only certain sorts of hosts and atmospheres where such would be desirable. However, not having sufficient general knowledge to be able to respond interestedly with follow-up beyond asking about favoured teams is, well, weak. I will forgive him a fair amount for making the kids comfortable enough with him that they will dance with him at the end of the show, though. That's just adorable and fun.

Can anyone propose a counter-example to a sartorial principle that it is a fundamental error to wear a hat on a traditional indoor game show set?

My conclusion: better than most, six out of ten.