Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF New puzzle chime  (Read 1860 times)

Card Shark

WOF New puzzle chime
« on: August 05, 2004, 07:53:34 AM »
What was the purpose of the chimes that we hear at the beginning of the puzzle, at least as far as the pre-computerized board is concerned? Someone on atgs suggested that before the camera rolls at the beginning of a new round, the contestants had their backs turned to the board so as not to gain an unfair advantage and the chime was the signal that it was ok to turn around. Is this the case?
Adam Strom

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 11:24:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 04:53 AM\'] What was the purpose of the chimes that we hear at the beginning of the puzzle, at least as far as the pre-computerized board is concerned? Someone on atgs suggested that before the camera rolls at the beginning of a new round, the contestants had their backs turned to the board so as not to gain an unfair advantage and the chime was the signal that it was ok to turn around. Is this the case? [/quote]
 Whoever that someone was was high.

It serves the same purpose the bell does on TPiR when a bid lights up on a readout, or when the score changes on $otC, or when a new word appears on P+.

In other words, it serves no purpose whatsoever other than to provide ear candy for the viewer when something visual is happening on-screen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 11:39:14 AM »
Not true, Chris.  Everyone knows that's the sound you hear when Chuck Woolery reboots.

Card Shark

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 12:02:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:24 AM\'] Whoever that someone was was high.
 [/quote]
 You're probably right. I just didn't want to sift through tons of old posts on google for our favorite old ATGS. Thank you for the info.
Adam Strom

clemon79

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 12:22:22 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:39 AM\'] Not true, Chris.  Everyone knows that's the sound you hear when Chuck Woolery reboots. [/quote]
now THAT'S funny.

(True Story: I have the Chime on my machine at work. It was my "You've Got Mail!" sound for about half a day, until my then-officemate, normally a peaceful woman, threatened me with my life. Never put it back on. :))
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 12:22:33 PM by clemon79 »

Card Shark

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 02:23:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 12:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:39 AM\'] Not true, Chris.  Everyone knows that's the sound you hear when Chuck Woolery reboots. [/quote]
now THAT'S funny.

(True Story: I have the Chime on my machine at work. It was my "You've Got Mail!" sound for about half a day, until my then-officemate, normally a peaceful woman, threatened me with my life. Never put it back on. :)) [/quote]
 I'd love to have that chime for my comptuer as well. I'm referring to the NBC era one. I have one of those vision phones that has some cutesy little chime that sounds when you turn it on and off. It be cool if I could replace it with the wheel one.
Adam Strom

clemon79

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 03:44:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:23 AM\'] I'd love to have that chime for my comptuer as well. I'm referring to the NBC era one. I have one of those vision phones that has some cutesy little chime that sounds when you turn it on and off. It be cool if I could replace it with the wheel one. [/quote]
 I have a Sanyo 8100. You can't replace the boot tone, but it does let you select from among four built-in ones. (Same goes for shutdown.) You could probably make the WAV into a ringtone easily enough, though, and use it for an instant message notification or what not. I have a couple of MIDIs of the Pyramid and Whew! themes that I use as ringtones on mine.

Card Shark

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 04:11:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 03:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:23 AM\'] I'd love to have that chime for my comptuer as well. I'm referring to the NBC era one. I have one of those vision phones that has some cutesy little chime that sounds when you turn it on and off. It be cool if I could replace it with the wheel one. [/quote]
I have a Sanyo 8100. You can't replace the boot tone, but it does let you select from among four built-in ones. (Same goes for shutdown.) You could probably make the WAV into a ringtone easily enough, though, and use it for an instant message notification or what not. I have a couple of MIDIs of the Pyramid and Whew! themes that I use as ringtones on mine. [/quote]
 Yes, and I have the TPIR theme, as well as a MG '7x ring tone from some web site. Both are great.
Adam Strom

Steve McClellan

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 04:37:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:24 AM\'] [...] the bell [...] when a new word appears on P+ [...] serves no purpose whatsoever other than to provide ear candy for the viewer when something visual is happening on-screen. [/quote]
 Nit-pick alert: It revealed to Allen/Bill/Tom that the home viewers now knew the word, and the play of said word could begin, just like the bell on the original.

clemon79

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 05:24:18 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 01:37 PM\'] Nit-pick alert: It revealed to Allen/Bill/Tom that the home viewers now knew the word, and the play of said word could begin, just like the bell on the original. [/quote]
 Really? Huh. Nitpick noted and appreciated.

uncamark

WOF New puzzle chime
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 05:43:22 PM »
Today, it's ear candy, but back then the "Wheel" board reveal chime was a signal for the players to turn around and face the board.  They didn't do the sound for the first couple of years of "Wheel" and perhaps they didn't want Chuck verbally telling the players to turn around.