Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Disney Millionaire Play it! Closing  (Read 1899 times)

Timsterino

Disney Millionaire Play it! Closing
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:16:31 AM »
Hi all,

I am sad to say that the WWTBAM Play it! attraction at Disney's California Adventure will be closing it's doors on August 20th.

This is according to several people who confirmed the closure with Disney staff members. I have not heard about MGM's attraction yet.

To those who can get there while you can, you may want to do so.

Tim

dscungio

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 11:35:19 AM »
The reports say it will open "seasonally" or be "on hiatus."  Apparently the attendance figures have been low.  It's reported that the show is being visited by the same people over and over again.  Disney will save money by running the show occasionally.

So it's not closed entirely.  There is no news about the show at D-MGM.

Check out the bottom of this page:
http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al080304a.htm

-Dean
(who missed a 250,000-point question at D-MGM)

4ammama

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 12:44:12 PM »
I hope it doesn't close at MGM.  My year is up on Nov 9th and I was planning to try for my 3rd win, soon after that date.  When I won last year the prize info said something about the cruise must be taken by Nov. 30, 2004. So I was wondering if the show was scheduled to close.

bellbm

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 01:41:36 PM »
When I was there 2 years ago, there was a guy who said he went everyday, and he was trying and trying to get into the hot seat, but could never make it.  I think if you "win" a million, you get a free trip.  I guess you can buy these all summer long passes that let you go to the park everyday.
I guess some people have nothing better to do.  But living in or near LA, I would think he could have tried out for and gotten on a real game show.

JayC

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 04:44:40 PM »
I went to MGM's Play It a few weeks ago on my vacation to Florida.  It was quite fun (and very comfortable!).  IIRC, the majority went to play the game itself, while maybe a 3rd of the crowd went just for the AC.  I didn't get to go to the hot seat, but a person exactly 100 seats below mine (I was 208, he was 108) won a spot.  Good experience.

Tony

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 03:04:42 PM »
From what I could tell, the Disney-MGM park as a whole regularly has more and more varied (as in locale) vistors than does California Adventure.  I've never been to either park, but if I had to choose, I would pick Disney-MGM, since it was developed well before the Great Decline of Disney (i.e. 1995-present).  From accounts on SaveDisney.com, California Adventure was developed on the cheap and contains much fewer attraction than next-door Disneyland (which I have been to and enjoyed).  Yet, admission to California Adventure costs the same as admission to Disneyland.  All in all, I would not be surprised at all if Disney were to close down California Adventure if and when Eisner is removed from power.

ObGameShows: Celador is suing Disney over licensing rights of WWTBAM (Woolery left Wheel territory, I know:) )

starcade

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »
Argh...  And there goes any reason for me to go back to Cal Adventure again...

Blat...  And I had a friend that so wanted to see this too.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 09:37:40 PM »
This is a real shocker.

I mean, the Play It! attraction is the next best thing to getting on the real show.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 10:11:58 PM »
Personally, I've been to California Adventure last summer.  In my opinion, the only two main pluses from the park were:

"Millionaire" and The roller coaster.

The Muppet Show 3-D and the animation studio was a total bore.

Plus under my obversation, to show that there isn't a lot people there, the crowd made me felt that it was a Tuesday morning rather than a Friday afternoon.
-Sanford