Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finders Keepers Query  (Read 4826 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Finders Keepers Query
« on: July 14, 2003, 02:38:44 AM »
Did a team ever sweep the other team; winning by my calculations $1000; and subsequently win the room to room romp?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 02:54:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 01:38 AM\'] Did a team ever sweep the other team; winning by my calculations $1000; and subsequently win the room to room romp? [/quote]
 Nope.  One team on the Toffler version won $975-25 and only got 3 or 4 rooms in their romp.  This ep. aired during one of the Pumping GAS blocks last week.

I have entirely too much free time now that I'm out of school and I don't have a job...

GS Warehouse

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 10:27:17 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 01:54 AM\'] I have entirely too much free time now that I'm out of school and I don't have a job... [/quote]
 Join the club.  You know you're desparate when the only resume you've sent in the last month is to a company 25 miles away.

Matt Ottinger

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 11:45:32 AM »
Join the club. You know you're desparate when the only resume you've sent in the last month is to a company 25 miles away.
OK, it's been a long time since I've been out of work, but it seems to me that if you've only sent out one resume in the last month, you couldn't be all that desperate.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GS Warehouse

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 11:52:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 10:45 AM\'] OK, it's been a long time since I've been out of work, but it seems to me that if you've only sent out one resume in the last month, you couldn't be all that desperate. [/quote]
 I am if that's the only computer programming position I've been able to find in the classifieds lately.  I hope it doesn't come down to finding a new line of work, especially one that involves the question \"Do you want fries with that?\"*, but my heart is just in a field where there is little demand.

* Then again, the more people I tell that to, the more it defeats the purpose.

whewfan

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 12:45:37 PM »
I don't know how this went from Finders Keepers to \"I'm not where I want to be in life\" thread, but I may as well chime in with my \"Strike it Rich\"-esque story.

I was very content in general with my direction, going to school to take acting classes, in hopes of finding some way to entertain an audience. I graduated at Catonsville Community College and after that, made one of the biggest mistakes of my whole life.... I transfered to UMBC...... UMBC's theatre department turned out to be one of the most elitist groups I've ever seen.  Their upper level courses require an audition to get in, and for no real solid good reason, they decided to slam the door in my face, and not allow me to persue acting further. Worse, I had gradually lost contact with several dear friends.

So, since then, I've been trying to find a way to bounce back. I am still planning on going to Towson University, but doing so may mean eventually moving closer to the area. Part of the reason I am doing these game show productions is just to prove to myself and also, to UMBC, that I do have some potential and how wrong they were.

There is more to it, but I don't want to veer any more off topic than I have.

So, to steer this back to Finders Keepers, who was the better host, Wesley Eure or Larry Tofler?
My vote goes to Wesley. Yes, he told terrible jokes, but IMO he seemed more at ease than Larry Tofler.

Steve_Bier

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 07:21:51 PM »
Eure was arguably a better host than Toffler. Just out of curiosity, what is Eure up to these days? Is he still acting? Married? Kids? How old is he? I'm guessing late 40's or early 50's.

Ironically, he's my choice to host a revival of Password, if one ever comes about.....

zachhoran

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 07:34:13 PM »
Eure is almost 48, as per the IMDB(assuming they have the right birthdate). He acted in a Days of our LIves Xmas show in 2001, wrote for Spy TV in 2001, Totally Hidden Video on FOX in 1989, and Dragon Tales in 1999, and was a producer on the latter if the IMDB is correct

Starkman

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 07:21:37 AM »
on the topic of eure vs toffler it depends what part of the show you liked better.

If you liked the House element, then toffler is the better host as he really communicated with the kids in the house while eure stuck out like a sore thumb. if you like contestant interviews and the hidden pictures puzzles eure was much better, he was more personable with the kids and really seemed to want to be there, he just was way out of his element in the house. especally the room romp.

Really eure was a victim of good host, wrong show, if he was a host of a less active show or at least one that didnt involve as much close quarters I think he would have been a better host. I could really see him blowing Lew and Robb out of the water if he was hosting MTG instead of FK.

cant say the same about toffler although in his defense the format was butchered in a way that would make fremantle proud ;)

That doesnt mean he had to disqualify an answer because a contestant couldnt reach the top of the giant trilon with the colorform where the picture was hidden (happened on an early Toffler ep).

whewfan

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 08:08:16 AM »
Ah, the colorforms format.... I remember it well.

With the first format, the players didn't know what items would be in the hidden picture, but with the second format, the items that were hidden were basically in plain sight (there's another Yogi Berra-ism for you) in \"colorforms\" form. It took away some of the challenge.

\"I listen carefully to what people don't say\"- I don't think Yogi Berra said it, but he should've!

Starkman

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 08:49:13 AM »
I actually worked with Yogi during the All American Baseball game that I work for, hes a decent guy but hes alot smaller and thinner than he looks on TV.

Back to FK the early Eure eps where Harvey announced and cohosted are now airing on gas this week. Easily the best eps of the series Eure or Toffler.

The bigger problem with the colorforms was that they often wouldnt stick and therefore it was hard to show the viewer where the hidden pic was, the solution of course was worse, make the pics BLOODY OBVIOUS which of course took even more challenge out of the game.

OT again anyone else find GAS' john facenda parodies featuring schoolyard games hillarious ;)

GS Warehouse

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 10:56:19 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 07:08 AM\'] ... the items that were hidden were basically in plain sight (there's another Yogi Berra-ism for you) ...

"I listen carefully to what people don't say"- I don't think Yogi Berra said it, but he should've! [/quote]
 Cut that pizza into six slices, please.  I couldn't eat eight!

Half the game is 90% mental.

Nobody goes to there anymore.  It's too crowded.

ObFindersKeepers: Anybody remember the ep where Larry gets gakked upon his entry into one room during round 1?  Welcome to Nickelodeon, Larry!

ObLarry: Toffler later appeared on two other shows as a contestant.  I can't think of any other former game show hosts who later became (civilian) contestants, although Mike Reilly took the other path.

ChuckNet

Finders Keepers Query
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 11:42:22 AM »
ObLarry: Toffler later appeared on two other shows as a contestant.

He actually appeared on 3: Debt (96), Greed (00), and Russian Roulette last Oct.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")