Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Balderdash nonspoiler  (Read 10153 times)

cacLA8383

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 12:37:56 AM »
Well, some of ya liked it and that's cool, but my take on Balderdash?

I've gotten better sleep after about 10 minutes of it. (goes to TTD90 room now....)

brianhenke

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 12:44:34 AM »
I thought that the endgame needed some work as well.  If someone got all 10 answers right, there would be a 1-in-10 chance of winning the grand prize (which was not a trip to the Newport Beach Film Festival).

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions (and tonight's episode of Raw featured a WWE highlight sponsored by Wrangler Jeans - and Dale Earnhardt Jr. was in it!)
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

BrandonFG

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 01:21:04 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 11:44 PM\'] I thought that the endgame needed some work as well.  If someone got all 10 answers right, there would be a 1-in-10 chance of winning the grand prize (which was not a trip to the Newport Beach Film Festival).
 [/quote]
I'm assuming that it would be the same as getting 8 correct answers in the H^2 endgame: an automatic win...and since most of Balderdash's staff came from H^2, I think that's a safe assumption.

BTW, I kind of like the idea of the consolation gift certificate from Brookstone (nice store). Anyone catch the amount of the certificate, if it was mentioned?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 01:21:40 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jrjgames

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 01:36:08 AM »
Ok my 2 cents...man you people are gonna smoke me IF I ever get on tv! :)

Here-goes

#1 Her 1st 3 jokes out of the box BOMB...not good

#2 Wordplay meets Liar's Club...but then again this is how the board game is played, so Ill give em that

#3 Eric is like 60 anyone kinda amazed how much they were falling all over him?! Or in Pax years is he a hunk?!

#4 Im sorry....did ANYONE NOTICE THE BONUS GAME WAS WHEW!!!!!??? Correct the blooper...they even UNDERLINED IT! WOW! Im calling Burt Sugarman! ;)

All in all good try, again these "comedy" game shows are tough to do, more often than not its not funny its corny.  Gimme the days when the FUNNY didnt come from the format it came from the spontaneity of the participants!  Sorry but call me old fashion!

John
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 01:40:28 AM by jrjgames »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 02:15:03 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Aug 3 2004, 12:36 AM\'] #1 Her 1st 3 jokes out of the box BOMB...not good

[/quote]
 Which is when I shut the television off.  Apparently she didn't realize she wasn't the center of attention.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gsnstooge

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 09:39:17 AM »
I didn't realize at first that John Moschitta was the announcer, he sounds less tired than he did on Hollywood Squares.  The bonus round, for those of you who think the prizes are cheap, what do you suppose a celebrity can answer a question by his or her ownself for?  Not that I am bashing anybody.

inturnaround

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 09:58:30 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 11:05 PM\'] But whose fault is it if someone blows their wad on the first question?  If the rules stated that the players are staked just to their original 250 points, you wouldn't see people risk 3/4 of their stack on a 1-in-3 guess on the first question. [/quote]
 Sure it's the fault of the player, but after the wager, it makes for bad TV if the score is 750 to 0 after the first round.

Yes, Elayne's first jokes were bombs, but she moved on very quickly from them.

One wonders why this episode was picked to air first. It was quite obviously not the first one they taped.  

The FedEx Guy/Blurr was good as announcer.

The wager music is kind of annoying, but it only lasts 5 seconds. God help me I found myself liking it after the third time.

So, how is one really supposed to know if something is Balderdash or if it's the truth? Do the celebs come up with the stories? Unless you actually heard the story before, it's all a crapshoot, isn't it?

For some reason, I thought a cool endgame would have been a definition game with Elayne reading a definition to a word and the contestant saying True or Balderdash. Yesterday's contestant obviously didn't get the memo about wild guesses not helping her. Eric Roberts didn't get to try to save too many of her answers (not that I'm sure he knew the answers, but still...)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

The Ol' Guy

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 10:45:07 AM »
Pardon the late addition - home computer is acting up -

It wasn't that bad. We expected a Wordplay clone and got it. Pardon the echoes of previous posters - when Elayne gets over first week jitters and remembers she doesn't have to carry the show, she'll be fine. Be a host first, then a stand-up. It kept that promised retro feel. And yeah, the misfit end game was bogus. If you're going to copy someone else's game - why not the classic Card Sharks bonus? Give a contestant two topics - like "The Wizard Of Oz" and "President Bill Clinton". Have seven statements ready for the topic of your choice. Start the contestant off with 100 points - let them wager an amount on each statement -one at a time - as to whether it's truth or balderdash. Maybe even let the celebs read the statements. At the end of the 7th statement, players can win a prize at a value corresponding to the final point total. I'm sure some of you have other ideas...but I agree with you that the main game and end game should have some linkage. Overall, not bad. Glad to see an in-studio project again, and I hope it does well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 10:46:22 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Clay Zambo

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 10:59:19 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Aug 3 2004, 09:45 AM\'] Be a host first, then a stand-up. [/quote]
 Too true.  But, in fact, "uh-oh"-ed on Elaine's intro.  "First bad sign," I said to my wife, "She's a host, not a star."  'Course, upon further reflection, it occurs to me that somebody at PAX probably got into a debate with the producers over whether she was "host" or "hostess" and decided that "star" was gender-neutral, if inaccurate.

If you're going to copy someone else's game - why not the classic Card Sharks bonus?

Que?  I thought the Card Sharks bonus was calling "Higher" or "Lower."

Agreed, though, it's wonderful to see an in-studio game.  Wonder if it'll get pulled after a week for a set-tweak...
czambo@mac.com

Pyramid80

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 11:06:34 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Aug 3 2004, 08:58 AM\'] So, how is one really supposed to know if something is Balderdash or if it's the truth? Do the celebs come up with the stories? Unless you actually heard the story before, it's all a crapshoot, isn't it? [/quote]
 We'll when playing the board game you are given words that you more than likely have never heard of.  So hearing celebrities tell these stories and trying to pick the legit one is a stab in the dark just like the board game, so I don't see a problem there.

The Ol' Guy

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 11:50:50 AM »
...the Card Sharks thought was just the idea of going from one fact to another and wagering, just like going from one card to another. Both call for a 50-50 decision to be made on the spot and payoff can depend how gutsy a bettor you are. Just borrowing the mechanics vs. unique play.

"Wizard of Oz" is your choice. Here's 100 points - first statement, Mr. Pardo.
"Gene Kelly was the first choice for playing the Tin Woodman."
(player) - "80 points - that's balderdash."
"Correct! Buddy Ebsen. Next - (female celeb's name from last night"
"Every little person played only one Munchkin character."
(player) - I'll go 160 it's truth."
"Wrong! Some played double roles. Mr. Roberts..."

etc, etc.... Also like the H2 end game. Combine true and false statements with wagering, as you do in the front game.

Neumms

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 02:24:18 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Aug 3 2004, 10:50 AM\'] ...the Card Sharks thought was just the idea of going from one fact to another and wagering, just like going from one card to another. Both call for a 50-50 decision to be made on the spot and payoff can depend how gutsy a bettor you are. Just borrowing the mechanics vs. unique play.

"Wizard of Oz" is your choice. Here's 100 points - first statement, Mr. Pardo.
"Gene Kelly was the first choice for playing the Tin Woodman."
(player) - "80 points - that's balderdash."
"Correct! Buddy Ebsen. Next - (female celeb's name from last night"
"Every little person played only one Munchkin character."
(player) - I'll go 160 it's truth."
"Wrong! Some played double roles. Mr. Roberts..."

etc, etc.... Also like the H2 end game. Combine true and false statements with wagering, as you do in the front game. [/quote]
 I like that idea. (I got what you meant before.) I've long thought some trivia variant of Money Cards would be a good game on its own.

Another way to do it is to hand the player $500, then let them bet what they want on a truth/balderdash statement from each panelist. Double it three times and the best you could do is $4000--that shouldn't break 'em.

alfonzos

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
Decent game. I found myself playing along. It was derivative but so what?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

PeterMarshallFan

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2004, 04:47:21 PM »
I enjoyed it.

uncamark

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2004, 05:19:10 PM »
Wasn't bad.  Wasn't great, but a pleasant half-hour.

Thankfully, Elayne finally identified Tammy Lynn's claim to fame--haven't watched "Last Comic Standing" this year.

At least Elayne recovered from the bad reception to her opening, like anyone who's been doing stand-up for as long as she has.  Once she settles in she'll be really good--she's a quick ad libber and can mix it up with the panelists.

I'll check up on it every so often.