Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Balderdash nonspoiler  (Read 10161 times)

opimus

Balderdash nonspoiler
« on: August 02, 2004, 08:44:54 PM »
So far it's not floating my boat.

urbanpreppie05

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 09:01:07 PM »
Couldn't you have at least waited until the show was over?
insert signature here

Timsterino

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 09:02:28 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 08:44 PM\'] So far it's not floating my boat. [/quote]
 It floated my boat. I liked it.

Tim :-)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 09:06:43 PM »
It was kinda rocky, but the craziness settled in. wasn't half bad.

itiparanoid13

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 09:13:28 PM »
Its a good PAX game.  It would bomb in any other place, but for PAX, it fits.  Its funny and I like the main game.  The bonus is a little iffy to me, but its not bad really.  On a side note, I like the new On The Cover set.  I liked Balderdash, though.  Itll keep me at least from having PAX off of my block list like I usually do.

bandit_bobby

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 09:15:22 PM »
A few similarites to the final season of H2. The endgame and its announcer.

JerrysFeudinAgain

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 09:17:44 PM »
What was the deal with adding more points after each round?
Give give them 250 points at the start and just end it!
The end game needs improvement as well.

BrandonFG

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 09:21:06 PM »
I didn't catch too much, but I *did* see the endgame...Whew meets Just Men meets H^2. Mind you, it's not a bad thing, but I just couldn't help but think of Whew.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 09:29:15 PM »
Man, I can't see how anyone could NOT think of Whew! after seeing that endgame.
czambo@mac.com

MCArroyo1

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 10:05:46 PM »
Eh.  The endgame is the last thing that needs improvement; I thought it was well executed.

IMO Elaine Boosler had a tough time staying in control of the show.  I also think that the set and theme music need to be destroyed.

JerrysFeudinAgain

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 10:36:49 PM »
I just didn't like the chances for an main prize win. At least make the prize better.(I know there PAX but still.)

inturnaround

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 10:43:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JerrysFeudinAgain\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 09:17 PM\'] What was the deal with adding more points after each round?
Give give them 250 points at the start and just end it!
The end game needs improvement as well. [/quote]
 Why give them more points? Because if someone foolishly wagers almost all of their initial nut and loses it, the show would be very boring. Adding more points makes almost every round competitive.

Yes, the endgame need work, but it's not something that's completely worthless. I think the basic idea is salvageable.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Pyramid80

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 11:01:51 PM »
I thought it was a pretty decent show.  It is something that I definitely wouldn't mind watching.  Besides this is the first show who knows what else is in store.  Maybe some changes were made later in the production run to make the show better.  IMO, Elaine did a fine job hosting.

MikeK

• Martha!
Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 11:05:32 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 10:43 PM\'] Why give them more points? Because if someone foolishly wagers almost all of their initial nut and loses it, the show would be very boring. Adding more points makes almost every round competitive. [/quote]
 But whose fault is it if someone blows their wad on the first question?  If the rules stated that the players are staked just to their original 250 points, you wouldn't see people risk 3/4 of their stack on a 1-in-3 guess on the first question.

whewfan

Balderdash nonspoiler
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 11:39:06 PM »
Here's my take:

The format: The format is a solid one, a mix of Wordplay and Hollywood Squares.
I also like the wagering format, and I do think adding the 250 just makes it more interesting.

The set: Pretty decent set. I like the Balderdash sign.

Elaine Boosler: Elaine interacts well with the celebs, and she moves the game along pretty well, all things considering. Yes, her comic material needs polishing, and she did have some odd moments, but overall she did a little better than I expected. Maybe we'll see an improvement as the series moves along.

The celebs: Hopefully we'll see some larger names, but I thought the celebs kept in line and didn't try to dominate or get in the way the game. However, if we got Judy Tenuta, Andy Dick and Fran Drescher in the same room, then we've got major problems

The bonus round: The consensus continues. Yep, it's Whew! revisited, but the Balderdash clues aren't as clever or funny as Whew!

The music: Here's where we lose points. I don't like the music sting played while the contestants lock in a wager, nor the music while the correct answer is being revealed.

Overall: Looking at the show as an average viewer, yes, I think it would be enjoyable enough, if I didn't know of the elements borrowed from other games.
I think we should give the game a couple weeks, but on a scale of 1-10, I give Balderdash....

A SIX. Above average, and for a PAX show, it's decent enough.