Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune question  (Read 5906 times)

adamjk

Wheel of Fortune question
« on: August 01, 2004, 04:21:12 PM »
There's a clip on the episode of a woman in the blue position winning I think over $60,000 on a single puzzle. From the looks of the set, and the music playing when she wins it, it looks to be from the late 80's, or somewhere in 1990. I am not sure which though. Anyone recall what season this woman was on? If it is the 88-89 season, does anyone know when we will be seeing it again?

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 07:50:09 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 03:21 PM\'] There's a clip on the episode of a woman in the blue position winning I think over $60,000 on a single puzzle. From the looks of the set, and the music playing when she wins it, it looks to be from the late 80's, or somewhere in 1990. I am not sure which though. Anyone recall what season this woman was on? If it is the 88-89 season, does anyone know when we will be seeing it again? [/quote]
 The amount won in the clip in question was $44,300(the most won on a single puzzle at the time), the puzzle was An American SUccess Story, the time frame is Spring 1987(sunburst set, still at NBC). GSN won't be showing it anytime soon.

adamjk

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:38:32 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's the most won on one puzzle in syndie history?

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:20:18 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 09:38 AM\'] Out of curiosity, what's the most won on one puzzle in syndie history? [/quote]
 The aforementioned puzzle is the second highest amount won in one round. A contestant won $45K in a speed up round(puzzle was James Madison Wisconsin) in Fall 1994.

The most ever accumulated in a single round was $62,400 in December 1985. The puzzle read THE THRI-- OF -I-TORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT, and the contestant called an S on her last spin, and ended up losing the round.

bellbm

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 12:28:18 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 10:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 09:38 AM\'] Out of curiosity, what's the most won on one puzzle in syndie history? [/quote]
The aforementioned puzzle is the second highest amount won in one round. A contestant won $45K in a speed up round(puzzle was James Madison Wisconsin) in Fall 1994.

The most ever accumulated in a single round was $62,400 in December 1985. The puzzle read THE THRI-- OF -I-TORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT, and the contestant called an S on her last spin, and ended up losing the round. [/quote]
 Was this episode an african american lady who screamed, and screamed, and ended up winng the bonus round, despite losing all of that money in the 3rd round?

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 12:52:40 PM »
One thing I never understood about the Wheel Of Fortune scoreboards is this: The readout showing the total for the round (and at the end of the show, the total for the day) held five digits plus the dollar sign. But the multiple day total readout above the champion's head only had enough space for four digits and the dollar sign. Strange that it wasn't the other way around.

adamjk

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 01:40:27 PM »
I don't see why both couldn't have been able to hold five digits.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 02:47:56 PM »
You almost have to wonder if using that back readout to display total winnings was an afterthought. Remember, its "primary" function was to show money that was being held On Account, and usually that was fifty bucks here and a hundred there, unless a player was saving up for the car, and we know how often THAT happened...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 08:15:44 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' date=\'Aug 10 2004, 11:28 AM\']
Was this episode an african american lady who screamed, and screamed, and ended up winng the bonus round, despite losing all of that money in the 3rd round? [/quote]
 This episode did indeed see a Nubian princess, who was indeed excited about winning the endgame, win the game that day. She won the game due to there being time for a fourth round and Pat spinning $5K in the Speed Up spin. She won a car in the bonus for over $28K on the day, solving Take It or Leave It. SHe was not the same lady who blew the $62K pot in round three.

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 08:18:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 10 2004, 11:52 AM\'] The readout showing the total for the round (and at the end of the show, the total for the day) held five digits plus the dollar sign. But the multiple day total readout above the champion's head only had enough space for four digits and the dollar sign. Strange that it wasn't the other way around. [/quote]
 It was stranger in the 1989-90 season when a contestant had over $129K going into their final bonus round(the first syndie season taped at CBS still had backdrops capable of showing contestants' grand totals for two or three days). Pat placed a 1 written on a piece of cardboard beside the 29xxx the display was capable of showing.